742 Rebuild or Replace?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GERRYG

Hi, I have a 742 with a Ford 1.6 gas engine. It smokes heavily out the oil filler cap, and is very hard to start, especially in cold weather. I assume it needs rings. The engine is a Bobcat reman. I am trying to decide whether to attempt a rebuild, or replace it with a Kohler repower kit. Anyone have any experience with this? The Kohler engine is a CH1000. Thanks

flyerdan

An overhaul would be easier and probably cheaper. First, do a compression test, if the wet readings go up significantly over the dry ones, it would indicate a ring problem, as the blowby out the oil filler indicates.
If the bottom end sounds good and it's holding good oil pressure, you could get away with just rings and gaskets and a quick head touch up. The rings could just be carboned into the grooves and not sealing, I had a Ford 390 once that smoked like an airshow plane; rings were stuck, bores mic'ed out so a quick hone was all it needed.
Of course you won't know the extent until you open it up and start measuring, but even if you need oversize pistons, Rock Auto will have them and you should still be able to get the parts and have it punched out .030 for less than a new engine.

OP
OP
G

GERRYG

An overhaul would be easier and probably cheaper. First, do a compression test, if the wet readings go up significantly over the dry ones, it would indicate a ring problem, as the blowby out the oil filler indicates.
If the bottom end sounds good and it's holding good oil pressure, you could get away with just rings and gaskets and a quick head touch up. The rings could just be carboned into the grooves and not sealing, I had a Ford 390 once that smoked like an airshow plane; rings were stuck, bores mic'ed out so a quick hone was all it needed.
Of course you won't know the extent until you open it up and start measuring, but even if you need oversize pistons, Rock Auto will have them and you should still be able to get the parts and have it punched out .030 for less than a new engine.
Good points, thanks