722 Drive Motor Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
C

ChandlerW

I would have thought chamfer towards, but i have not pulled one down.
As you have a lot of oil coming from the case drain hole, it has to be something internal of the motor..... Just not sure what.
I would suspect the chamfer should be towards the rotating group, but i can't be sure. The only way to know for sure is to look at the other one that you have not opened.
That's the plan then. Swap drives from right to left, and left to right. If the problem follows the drive then take apart the drives to see if there is a difference. May as well have a look at the swash plate orientation and condition.

antfarmer2

That's the plan then. Swap drives from right to left, and left to right. If the problem follows the drive then take apart the drives to see if there is a difference. May as well have a look at the swash plate orientation and condition.
Sounds like you put the plate in backwards I would pull the one flip the plate and ride might save some time

OP
OP
C

ChandlerW

Sounds like you put the plate in backwards I would pull the one flip the plate and ride might save some time
Here are the drives on the bench. I'll post the pictures in order so you can see how it comes apart. It looks like I had the swash plate installed right.
Instead of switching the drives and testing it I took both out and compared them. I had the drive put together right. Problem is most likely in the pump.
Bobcat6_zps20cd4314.jpg

Valve Plate
Bobcat7_zpsed8c41d6.jpg

Rotating Group
Bobcat8_zps135551fb.jpg

Swash Plate still installed
Swash Plate photo Bobcat9_zpsd9178b51.jpg

Swash Plate Contact Side
Swash Plate Contact Side photo Bobcat11_zps4509392c.jpg

antfarmer2

Here are the drives on the bench. I'll post the pictures in order so you can see how it comes apart. It looks like I had the swash plate installed right.
Instead of switching the drives and testing it I took both out and compared them. I had the drive put together right. Problem is most likely in the pump.

Valve Plate

Rotating Group
Swash Plate still installed

Swash Plate Contact Side
Are the surfaces smooth without groves?

Tazza

Staff member
Not sure try loaderpartsource
Can you take the valve/wear plate out? or is it part of the casting?
If you can remove it, they should be available at a reasonable price, but try glass and wet and dry sand paper first. Some times it doesn't take much to get the marks out.

jerry

Can you take the valve/wear plate out? or is it part of the casting?
If you can remove it, they should be available at a reasonable price, but try glass and wet and dry sand paper first. Some times it doesn't take much to get the marks out.
Is the plate brass faced or solid cast? If it's solid you could have it surface ground at a machine shop. If brass do as Tazza said , start with about 220 wet or dry and a sheet of glass with a little oil. Then finish with a finer grit. Change direction often when lapping it so you do not develop a pattern. It takes awhile but it works.

OP
OP
C

ChandlerW

Is the plate brass faced or solid cast? If it's solid you could have it surface ground at a machine shop. If brass do as Tazza said , start with about 220 wet or dry and a sheet of glass with a little oil. Then finish with a finer grit. Change direction often when lapping it so you do not develop a pattern. It takes awhile but it works.
That valve body is one solid piece. I have the drives back together and will test them out.

OP
OP
C

ChandlerW

That valve body is one solid piece. I have the drives back together and will test them out.
Ok I have any update and need some input. Drive motors were installed. Needle valve was installed in place of sensor to bleed air. Fired up the motor and was running at about 1/2 throttle. Loads of oil flying out the holes in the drive motors but they were not turning. So I'm doing different stuff, setting the throttle higher, then lower, sticks forward, sticks backward, spinning the motors by hand, just random things to try and get it working. The hoses coming from the oil cooler were collapsed. It looked like there was a vacuum on the hoses. The arms raised and lowered just fine. All of the sudden the pumps started making a loud squalling sound and then the drive motors started spinning like they should. They were whirling around and the oil was flying. The chains were not hooked up so the loader wasn't moving but I could tell it would have been hauling *ss if they were. Then everything stopped working. The oil was hot. Real hot. I could smell the fresh paint on the pumps baking. I tried to operate the arms and they didn't work. I let it sit for about 4 hours and tried it again. The arms worked. The oil cooler hoses were under a vacuum again and the drive motors had stopped working. So, with all that going on, any ideas what is up with the system?

antfarmer2

Ok I have any update and need some input. Drive motors were installed. Needle valve was installed in place of sensor to bleed air. Fired up the motor and was running at about 1/2 throttle. Loads of oil flying out the holes in the drive motors but they were not turning. So I'm doing different stuff, setting the throttle higher, then lower, sticks forward, sticks backward, spinning the motors by hand, just random things to try and get it working. The hoses coming from the oil cooler were collapsed. It looked like there was a vacuum on the hoses. The arms raised and lowered just fine. All of the sudden the pumps started making a loud squalling sound and then the drive motors started spinning like they should. They were whirling around and the oil was flying. The chains were not hooked up so the loader wasn't moving but I could tell it would have been hauling *ss if they were. Then everything stopped working. The oil was hot. Real hot. I could smell the fresh paint on the pumps baking. I tried to operate the arms and they didn't work. I let it sit for about 4 hours and tried it again. The arms worked. The oil cooler hoses were under a vacuum again and the drive motors had stopped working. So, with all that going on, any ideas what is up with the system?
You did change any filters?.......any plugs in the cooler or lines?

jerry

You did change any filters?.......any plugs in the cooler or lines?
As antfarmer said , have you changed the hydraulic filters? If you had a motor go bad on that model machine you have debris throughout the system. Make sure you have a open flow path to the charge pump and that it is supplying the hydro pumps with plenty of oil. The cooler hoses going flat is a sign of blockage somewhere. You need plenty of oil to the motors before running it or you will be buying parts.