642-b wont stay running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cwskelton

Hi i just got a 642 with a Mitsubishi motor it will start it you dump a bit of gas in the carb. There is no throttle response and the choke has to be out after about 20 minutes or so if it stays running that long you can put the choke in and it will run okay until it is shut off. Anyone have an idea on what to check?

Skiddy

lift your cab, pull the fuel line out of the tank clean the screen that is in the tank and replace the line that is in the tank. Then change your fuel filter. did you know that on the mitsubishi that you can pump the throttle lever and it will enrichen the cold start. the carb has an excellerator pump so to speak. Let us know from there. lots of help in this site!

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

lift your cab, pull the fuel line out of the tank clean the screen that is in the tank and replace the line that is in the tank. Then change your fuel filter. did you know that on the mitsubishi that you can pump the throttle lever and it will enrichen the cold start. the carb has an excellerator pump so to speak. Let us know from there. lots of help in this site!
I already replaced all the fuel line from the tank to the pump, installed a new filter, tested the fuel pump. I will pull the tube out and check it. When i put the new lines on it sucked on the end of the tube to bleed the new lines I got alot of fuel coming out. Would the fuel shut off solenoid cause a problem like this?

mrfixitpaul

I already replaced all the fuel line from the tank to the pump, installed a new filter, tested the fuel pump. I will pull the tube out and check it. When i put the new lines on it sucked on the end of the tube to bleed the new lines I got alot of fuel coming out. Would the fuel shut off solenoid cause a problem like this?
The solenoid should either be on or off, flow or no flow, and doesn't sound like your issue. I'd take the top off the carb and clean the accelerator pump and float bowl and see what happens.

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

The solenoid should either be on or off, flow or no flow, and doesn't sound like your issue. I'd take the top off the carb and clean the accelerator pump and float bowl and see what happens.
I took the carb off and cleaned the whole thing. It was dirty ,full of wood chips i bought it off a tree guy

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

I just pulled the plugs There black and alot of soot build up im gunna get a new set today anyone know the gap?
I disconnected the wire for the solenoid and it runs the same is it possible that its bad and its taking a 1/2 hour to finnaly open and can I remove and run it with out?

mrfixitpaul

I disconnected the wire for the solenoid and it runs the same is it possible that its bad and its taking a 1/2 hour to finnaly open and can I remove and run it with out?
Not sure of the gap but have you checked the points yet...i used to have to replace or adjust them often.

brettk1

Not sure of the gap but have you checked the points yet...i used to have to replace or adjust them often.
you can replace with points for an old 1.6 dodge colt (same engine) from advance auto plug gap is .028 to.031 inch point gap is .018 to .021 consider changing spark plug wire while doing tune up

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

you can replace with points for an old 1.6 dodge colt (same engine) from advance auto plug gap is .028 to.031 inch point gap is .018 to .021 consider changing spark plug wire while doing tune up
I replaced the plugs checked and cleaned the points they are good. It still will not stay running with out putting gas into the carb. You can see the gas in the bowl threw the site glass. I am goin to try and find a rebuild kit for it does anyone know where i can find this?

Tazza

Staff member
I replaced the plugs checked and cleaned the points they are good. It still will not stay running with out putting gas into the carb. You can see the gas in the bowl threw the site glass. I am goin to try and find a rebuild kit for it does anyone know where i can find this?
If you need to put fuel into it to keep running it has to be fuel related and not ignition. You did check your main jets are clear?
I wonder if your plugs aren't hot enough to burn the soot off them too? you may need a higher temperature plug as you did mention there was a lot of crud on them, but that could be due to a bad air/fuel mixture.
I do believe your carb needs an overhaul, some have a fuel shut solenoid to cut the fuel flow, yours doesn't have one? and if so, is it working rite?

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

If you need to put fuel into it to keep running it has to be fuel related and not ignition. You did check your main jets are clear?
I wonder if your plugs aren't hot enough to burn the soot off them too? you may need a higher temperature plug as you did mention there was a lot of crud on them, but that could be due to a bad air/fuel mixture.
I do believe your carb needs an overhaul, some have a fuel shut solenoid to cut the fuel flow, yours doesn't have one? and if so, is it working rite?
It does have a shut off solenoid I jumped it to the battery when it was off and it click so I assume it is working and when the key was to the on position it also clicked when I reconnected it. I am goin to find the rebuild kit for it and redo the carb. The guy that sold it to me had it redone prior to selling it. I think he got ripped off because the only thing that looks new in the carb is the float and was filty inside it. Is bobcat the only place to get a carb rebuild kit for it? Thanks for all the help so far.

Tazza

Staff member
It does have a shut off solenoid I jumped it to the battery when it was off and it click so I assume it is working and when the key was to the on position it also clicked when I reconnected it. I am goin to find the rebuild kit for it and redo the carb. The guy that sold it to me had it redone prior to selling it. I think he got ripped off because the only thing that looks new in the carb is the float and was filty inside it. Is bobcat the only place to get a carb rebuild kit for it? Thanks for all the help so far.
Clicking i can't say means its doing its job. I assume it has a needle and seat to cut the fuel, it could be dirty still or sticky where it seats.
I believe you can get a carb kit from an auto store, but don't quote me on that. This engine was used in cars too, i just have no idea what ones they were in over there as they re-badge them from country to country.

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

Clicking i can't say means its doing its job. I assume it has a needle and seat to cut the fuel, it could be dirty still or sticky where it seats.
I believe you can get a carb kit from an auto store, but don't quote me on that. This engine was used in cars too, i just have no idea what ones they were in over there as they re-badge them from country to country.
the shut off for what i can see is just a brass rod the fits fairly tight into a passage that feeds the adjustment screws. I tore the carb totally apart today and there was various passages and jets that were all clogged i am goin to reassmble it tommorow and try it out.

jerry

the shut off for what i can see is just a brass rod the fits fairly tight into a passage that feeds the adjustment screws. I tore the carb totally apart today and there was various passages and jets that were all clogged i am goin to reassmble it tommorow and try it out.
when you say the carb was filthy inside and some passages were clogger makes me wonder if you should not drain and clean the tank, change the filter and generally flush the systems lines out. a carb just does not get dirty inside unless the gas is dirty. I had a tractor that did the same thing and after I replaced the carb I found a butterfly in the gas tank that would drift over the outlet now and then and shut off the flow of gas so these things happen. You probably don't need to rebuild it just clean it really good.

mrfixitpaul

when you say the carb was filthy inside and some passages were clogger makes me wonder if you should not drain and clean the tank, change the filter and generally flush the systems lines out. a carb just does not get dirty inside unless the gas is dirty. I had a tractor that did the same thing and after I replaced the carb I found a butterfly in the gas tank that would drift over the outlet now and then and shut off the flow of gas so these things happen. You probably don't need to rebuild it just clean it really good.
I've seen the pick-up screens wear a hole from rubbing inside the tank and allow debris into the lines...then they can plug at the petcock valve. That must be why the newer screens have the spring around them.

OP
OP
C

cwskelton

I've seen the pick-up screens wear a hole from rubbing inside the tank and allow debris into the lines...then they can plug at the petcock valve. That must be why the newer screens have the spring around them.
i am going to drain the tank and pull the tube when i get home today. i do not have a manual for it yet does any one know the adjustment screw settings for the carb?