575 JD Skid Steer - Drive chain

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CraigSmith1967

I have a John Deere 575 Skid Steer. I think it was built in 1985. Very good machine. Recently something broke in the left side drive system and we have determined it is the drive chain. Raising the front tire off the ground allows us to spin it freely about 3/4 a turn then it stops. I believe the drive chain has broken. I have the original book with the machine and instructions to change the chain. I am going to use a size 60 chain from a local supplier. $70 versus $300 for the JD chain. Has anyone ever changed one of these drive chains? How long should it take? Does 4 hours labor seem reasonable from a shop to repair this? Thanks. Craig Montrose, Iowa.

farmshop

Not sure about deere skids but bobcats use endless roller chains. Are you sure the chain is broke some play in the wheel would be normal how does the wheel you jacked up compare to the others. I would think if the chain was broke the wheel sould turn all the way around. Also make sure you have the right size of #60 chain as there is heavy and standard.

OP
OP
C

CraigSmith1967

Not sure about deere skids but bobcats use endless roller chains. Are you sure the chain is broke some play in the wheel would be normal how does the wheel you jacked up compare to the others. I would think if the chain was broke the wheel sould turn all the way around. Also make sure you have the right size of #60 chain as there is heavy and standard.
No, it's definitely broken. The wheel spins until the broken chain binds it up. The wheels on the other side don't turn independent of each other.

frank b

No, it's definitely broken. The wheel spins until the broken chain binds it up. The wheels on the other side don't turn independent of each other.
I'm not familiar with that machine, but I have opened up the side on a Toyota SDK8 skid loader that I keep at my dads place, and just to inspect the drive chain and change the oil it took me three hours. I think 4 hours for a shop to inspect and change the chain is reasonable. Is that part of your machine sealed off and have it's own oil or are the chains inside the hydraulic oil tanks? If your chain is broken there may be pieces of metal in the oil. A magnet will grab it. Chances are the chain was stretched and the binding caused the break. It would be wise to inspect the drive chain on the other side before it breaks.

OP
OP
C

CraigSmith1967

I'm not familiar with that machine, but I have opened up the side on a Toyota SDK8 skid loader that I keep at my dads place, and just to inspect the drive chain and change the oil it took me three hours. I think 4 hours for a shop to inspect and change the chain is reasonable. Is that part of your machine sealed off and have it's own oil or are the chains inside the hydraulic oil tanks? If your chain is broken there may be pieces of metal in the oil. A magnet will grab it. Chances are the chain was stretched and the binding caused the break. It would be wise to inspect the drive chain on the other side before it breaks.
the other side had been replaced about 2 years ago. The machine only has one oil reservoir and it doubles as the chain lube tank. Fairly straight forward. My only real concern is if anything needs to be aligned as far as timing and such. I don't believe there is from what I have read. I am kind of surprised that this being a skidsteer forum and JDs being popular that there hasn't been more input here. But I appreciate what I have gotten so far. Thanks. Craig-