463 engine removal? must change pulley tensioner and belt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kdmcon

I am just wondering if it fully necicary to remove the engine to get at the pulley? 5000$ job at the dealer so I want tackle it myself before our season begins up here in canada. If anyone has done it and if they have any helpful tips abd hints it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OldMachinist

You can change the belt without removing the engine but the tensioner mounts to back of the engine and does require engine/pumps assembly removal to work on. I've had the assembly out of my 453 several times and if you have a good way to hoist it you should be able to pull it in less than 3 hours and going back in is the same or less. It's a messy job unless you put caps/plugs on all the hose connections.

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

You can change the belt without removing the engine but the tensioner mounts to back of the engine and does require engine/pumps assembly removal to work on. I've had the assembly out of my 453 several times and if you have a good way to hoist it you should be able to pull it in less than 3 hours and going back in is the same or less. It's a messy job unless you put caps/plugs on all the hose connections.
I have car engine hoist. I hoping that will work. Since I will have the engine out is there anything else I should look for to replace?

OldMachinist

Might be easyer to ajust the valves
Engine hoist will work fine. If you add your email address to your profile I can send you detailed instructions on the removal procedure.

Things to do with engine out
Clean out all the debris that gets trapped under and around the engine
Inspect the steel lines that run across the floor of the engine compartment for rust
Replace any hoses that look suspect

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

Engine hoist will work fine. If you add your email address to your profile I can send you detailed instructions on the removal procedure.

Things to do with engine out
Clean out all the debris that gets trapped under and around the engine
Inspect the steel lines that run across the floor of the engine compartment for rust
Replace any hoses that look suspect
Thanks!! That would be so great. I updated my profile to include my email so hopefully that works.

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

Message sent.
OK... so engine is out ready to go. Dropped by the bobcat dealer and got all parts I need and more. I have the small bottom pulley off and im trying to get the pulley off the crank. Now i might have used the wrong style of puller because I will be going back to the dealer since i made this one look like a taco! haha. Any tips on getting it off?

OldMachinist

OK... so engine is out ready to go. Dropped by the bobcat dealer and got all parts I need and more. I have the small bottom pulley off and im trying to get the pulley off the crank. Now i might have used the wrong style of puller because I will be going back to the dealer since i made this one look like a taco! haha. Any tips on getting it off?
Here's how its done.
 photo TensionerPulleyRemoval_zps8ntsw1xt.jpg

photo TensionerPulleyRemoval2_zps81ldxmob.jpg

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

Steering wheel puller or a small harmonic balancer puller.
Is there any other tricks to getting this pulley off? I used a smalll steering wheel puller and bent the bolts on it. Pulley doesnt move. I dont want to damage the shaft. Maybe a little heat on the pulley.. but io dont want heat it up too much.

OldMachinist

Is there any other tricks to getting this pulley off? I used a smalll steering wheel puller and bent the bolts on it. Pulley doesnt move. I dont want to damage the shaft. Maybe a little heat on the pulley.. but io dont want heat it up too much.
For things that are stuck like that my procedure is penetrating oil, heat, tap with brass hammer, let cool and then heat it again with the puller in place putting pressure on it. Sometimes it may take several rounds of this for the heating and cooling cycles to break the rust bond.

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

For things that are stuck like that my procedure is penetrating oil, heat, tap with brass hammer, let cool and then heat it again with the puller in place putting pressure on it. Sometimes it may take several rounds of this for the heating and cooling cycles to break the rust bond.
I will try that and let you know the results. Thank you

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

OKAY!! Literally 2 seconds of heat and boom it popped off. Thanks again

OP
OP
K

kdmcon

OKAY!! Literally 2 seconds of heat and boom it popped off. Thanks again
Okay so engine is all in and running. I just have one issue with my fans. They arent working. Wiring seems good but i think there may be a broken wire on the plug on the alternator. I cant remeber if there were two wires coming out or one. Went to the dealer with little succes except the suggestion of buying a new wiring harness. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

OldMachinist

Okay so engine is all in and running. I just have one issue with my fans. They arent working. Wiring seems good but i think there may be a broken wire on the plug on the alternator. I cant remeber if there were two wires coming out or one. Went to the dealer with little succes except the suggestion of buying a new wiring harness. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
The fans are controlled directly from the fan relay which is controlled by the engine temp switch.