453 shooting oil out tilt spool cover

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drivehard

Hi everyone I picked up a 1996 453 today. When its running it shoots a stream of hyd oil out of the cover in the (rear) middle of the control valve. The shop manual calls it the centering spring tilt spool. And also calls the part under that the "PLUG". There is no real break down on this and I cant figure out why it would be shooting oil out of the hole in the cover? Has anyone had this or maybe know what i need to do to fix it? Thank you

mrdeere1959

you need to replace the spool seals. do both the lift and tilt. just a few dollars in parts and some of your time.

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

you need to replace the spool seals. do both the lift and tilt. just a few dollars in parts and some of your time.
Thank you for the help. Is there someplace to get a break down of the parts I need to order and maybe a diagram of what I need to take apart? One more question. Do I need to remove the control valve from the machine? Thank you very much for the help.

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

I have removed almost everything this morning to get the control valve out of the machine. I am kind of stuck on the chain peices that conect the pedals to the valves. They look like master links but dont slide off like a real master link. Does anyone know an easy way to take these off without bending them?

OldMachinist

I have removed almost everything this morning to get the control valve out of the machine. I am kind of stuck on the chain peices that conect the pedals to the valves. They look like master links but dont slide off like a real master link. Does anyone know an easy way to take these off without bending them?
They are master links but they are a pain to get off. I can't remember exactly how I got mine off because its been a couple of years but I know it wasn't easy. If you mess them up new master links are less than $10.

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

They are master links but they are a pain to get off. I can't remember exactly how I got mine off because its been a couple of years but I know it wasn't easy. If you mess them up new master links are less than $10.
I got them. The do have a split in them. It's just not tapered like a regular master link. It wasn't too bad. I got the entire unit out and disassembled. Ready to replace the seals in all three. Hopefully my local bobcat will have them in stock Tuesday. Thanks for the help guys.

mrdeere1959

I got them. The do have a split in them. It's just not tapered like a regular master link. It wasn't too bad. I got the entire unit out and disassembled. Ready to replace the seals in all three. Hopefully my local bobcat will have them in stock Tuesday. Thanks for the help guys.
you can find parts brake downs @ bobcat.com you don't need a whole kit just the spool seals and maybe the o-rings in front and boots

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

you can find parts brake downs @ bobcat.com you don't need a whole kit just the spool seals and maybe the o-rings in front and boots
In true rookie fassion I ordered the "kit" and I dont even know what all those orings are for. I do have one question. The kit came with a bunch of orange seal looking things. Are there the "washer o ring" the manual shows or something else because I havent seen any orange anything come out. If now could anyone tell me what they are? thank you

Tazza

Staff member
In true rookie fassion I ordered the "kit" and I dont even know what all those orings are for. I do have one question. The kit came with a bunch of orange seal looking things. Are there the "washer o ring" the manual shows or something else because I havent seen any orange anything come out. If now could anyone tell me what they are? thank you
I replied to your other post about this, they just have extras to cover other models. Use what matches what you remove.

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

I replied to your other post about this, they just have extras to cover other models. Use what matches what you remove.
Thank you for the help. Well I got it all back together. Everything works. I am having a problem now though. When the bucket is empty the lift arms are real slow. With even a quarter bucket they won't go up at all and the bucket it self won't come up with any more then a half of a bucket of dirt. I am going to 100% honest with you guys and hopefully someone can help me figure out what's wrong with it. First I put hydraulic fluid from Walmart in it. The closest bobcat is 200 miles away and I don't really want to go that far. Could this be the problem? Second thing I may have done is put the pressure relief valve back together with the o rings/ washers in the wrong order. Not even really knowing which is which. The best I could tell one is just flatter and more square then the other.... I shouldn't have even touched it. I bought a new hyd filter but haven't put it on in case I need to replace that hyd filter. Please help!!! This thing is driving me crazy.

OldMachinist

Thank you for the help. Well I got it all back together. Everything works. I am having a problem now though. When the bucket is empty the lift arms are real slow. With even a quarter bucket they won't go up at all and the bucket it self won't come up with any more then a half of a bucket of dirt. I am going to 100% honest with you guys and hopefully someone can help me figure out what's wrong with it. First I put hydraulic fluid from Walmart in it. The closest bobcat is 200 miles away and I don't really want to go that far. Could this be the problem? Second thing I may have done is put the pressure relief valve back together with the o rings/ washers in the wrong order. Not even really knowing which is which. The best I could tell one is just flatter and more square then the other.... I shouldn't have even touched it. I bought a new hyd filter but haven't put it on in case I need to replace that hyd filter. Please help!!! This thing is driving me crazy.
The Walmart fluid shouldn't hurt it.
Have you run it long enoug to bleed the air out of the system? If yes then the problem is likely with the relief valve. If you changed the adjustment screw you'll need to put a pressure gauge in one of the aux connections and adjust the pressure.
What's the first 6 digits of the machine serial number? I'll look up what the pressure should be.

Here's how the rings go on the valve.
 photo ReliefValve_zps0f2b6961.jpg

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

The Walmart fluid shouldn't hurt it.
Have you run it long enoug to bleed the air out of the system? If yes then the problem is likely with the relief valve. If you changed the adjustment screw you'll need to put a pressure gauge in one of the aux connections and adjust the pressure.
What's the first 6 digits of the machine serial number? I'll look up what the pressure should be.

Here's how the rings go on the valve.
561811. I do not have a gauge. Could i buy something that would work at harbor fright? Would the Walmart fluid have anything to do with the symptoms? Just so you know, It is hot here.... Over 100. I have ran it for over an hour? Is that enough or not really? Thank you very much for the help

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

561811. I do not have a gauge. Could i buy something that would work at harbor fright? Would the Walmart fluid have anything to do with the symptoms? Just so you know, It is hot here.... Over 100. I have ran it for over an hour? Is that enough or not really? Thank you very much for the help
Are those two back up o rings supposed to be orange or black?

OP
OP
drivehard

drivehard

It's not your aux hydraulics stuck on is it? the lever on the right when siting in the seat.
I finally got it. It wasn't the oil or the filter, I put the o rings in correctly. What I did was sit down and read the repair manual for 4 min and realized to adjust the pressure at all I had to remove the CAP. Lol. I didn't realize there was a cap on the adjustment screw. I took the cap off turned the screw in a half to 3/4 turn and the thing works awesome. Ran it for about 3 hours build my kid a landing for their freestyle ramp and didn't have any more problems. Thank you guys for all of your help.

OldMachinist

I finally got it. It wasn't the oil or the filter, I put the o rings in correctly. What I did was sit down and read the repair manual for 4 min and realized to adjust the pressure at all I had to remove the CAP. Lol. I didn't realize there was a cap on the adjustment screw. I took the cap off turned the screw in a half to 3/4 turn and the thing works awesome. Ran it for about 3 hours build my kid a landing for their freestyle ramp and didn't have any more problems. Thank you guys for all of your help.
You should still plan on checking the pressure to verify the setting(1400-1450 psi).