440b drive chain replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gary65

Hello all! I have a few questions for you. Bought a 440b, would like to replace the drive chains. Are there any special tools needed? The chains sound like there stretched, So I would rather replace them. I have a service manual coming soon. Any tips or advice would be gladly welcomed! Thanks in advance. Gary

OldMachinist

Get the HD chain and count links to size
You'll need a heavy duty chainbreaker for #60 HS chain. Inspect the wheel bearings and seals before starting the job. If any doubt change them because the chains will have to come off again if you do it later. Sprockets if worn are dealer only items.

OP
OP
G

Gary65

You'll need a heavy duty chainbreaker for #60 HS chain. Inspect the wheel bearings and seals before starting the job. If any doubt change them because the chains will have to come off again if you do it later. Sprockets if worn are dealer only items.
Thanks to you both! I was planning on replacing both bearings and seals. Would rather not have to tear into it twice. (or 3,4,5 times) Should I use Bobcat specific chain? Or is there another source as good. Hope to get this project started next week, Still waiting on my service manual. Once again, Thank you for your help!!! Gary

antfarmer2

Thanks to you both! I was planning on replacing both bearings and seals. Would rather not have to tear into it twice. (or 3,4,5 times) Should I use Bobcat specific chain? Or is there another source as good. Hope to get this project started next week, Still waiting on my service manual. Once again, Thank you for your help!!! Gary
Stay away from the dealer when you can look and call loaderpartsource I got the bearings and seals for under 50 bucks a axle they have chains too but would check local too

OldMachinist

OP
OP
G

Gary65

The chain from Bobcat is Diamond brand so if you have a power transmission supply house local they can likely supply it cheaper than the dealer.
http://www.diamondchain.com/
http://www.diamondchain.com/files/specsheets/dl.php?file=Diamond High Strength.pdf
Thanks, OM for the links. I live in a rural area in Mo. Columbia is about 45 mins. west of me. Hoping to find a distributor there. If not I guess I will look elsewhere. If not Columbia has a Bobcat dealer. Hoping to get this started this week. Thanks for all the info so far. I am sure I will have more questions for you all.

OldMachinist

Thanks, OM for the links. I live in a rural area in Mo. Columbia is about 45 mins. west of me. Hoping to find a distributor there. If not I guess I will look elsewhere. If not Columbia has a Bobcat dealer. Hoping to get this started this week. Thanks for all the info so far. I am sure I will have more questions for you all.
Motion Industries
4109 Waco Rd
Columbia MO 65202
573-814-0654

Dand

Hey Guy,s first post on the forum. I have a 440b from 1990 (original owner!). Today the drive train started to make a grind sort of noise. I am wondering if this means time for new drive chains or if they can be tightened. Or if you have any other insight that might help figure this out.

Thanks!

brdgbldr

If the chain is "grinding" it may be that your sprocket is worn out and not the chain.

Dand

Thanks guys! Any suggestions on how best to access the sprocket to see it?
Or any pics of how to get it online?

brdgbldr

I'm not overly familiar with the 440b but every Bobcat skid steer I've ever worked on has access panels on the top of the chain case. A lot of times these are not easily accessible.

Whenever I have to replace bearings, seals, chains etc. on older machines, I have found it easiest to unbolt everything from the chain case and support it and then jack up the frame and remove the chain case. Sometimes this is the only way to access everything. It seams like a lot at first, and you need several heavy duty jacks and stands, but the first time I did it I was surprised at how easy it was.

Latest posts