440 case lift arms wont move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jasons

I was using my 440 and while moving in reverse and running arms and bucket at the same time the machine stopped im pretty sure the park brake locked in then it died, after looking in the fuse panel there was a fuse blown, i replaced it and it started back up, I have ALL functions except the lift arms will not move up or down it feels like the left hand control is locked and wont move side to side to operate lift arms but will move back and forth to drive. if i pull the cable on the right side of the seat and hold it up the lift arms work fine. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks Jason this is NOT a series 3 machine.

RenoLINC

Hum the exact thing just happened to ours. Exactly and I am completely lost.. did you figure yours out?

Topper1

Sounds like a bad lockout solenoid.
FYI, I've had the same thing happen on my '06 430..
It happens when I accidentally activate the aux hydraulics without an attachment. The lift arms don't operate when the aux hydraulics are max pressure wit no flow.

brdgbldr

It happens when I accidentally activate the aux hydraulics without an attachment. The lift arms don't operate when the aux hydraulics are max pressure wit no flow.
That's good to know.

farmkev

I have a similar issue with my 2007 430. Were you guys able to rectify issue, and if so, what did you do?

farmkev

Did you have to replace or bypass solenoid? Is that lockout solenoid located under the seat? I'm about to continue the adventure lol tilt cab and make this issue go away permanently.

Gearclash

I was using my 440 and while moving in reverse and running arms and bucket at the same time the machine stopped im pretty sure the park brake locked in then it died, after looking in the fuse panel there was a fuse blown, i replaced it and it started back up, I have ALL functions except the lift arms will not move up or down it feels like the left hand control is locked and wont move side to side to operate lift arms but will move back and forth to drive. if i pull the cable on the right side of the seat and hold it up the lift arms work fine. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks Jason this is NOT a series 3 machine.
That is a classic arm circuit lockout solenoid failure. Either replace the solenoid or remove it and throw it way for ever. The 420 we used to have had both the arms and bucket solenoids fail. Arm solenoid disabled the machine just like yours, bucket solenoid scared the crap out of me as the magic smoke in the solenoid all went out at once and no fuse blew. I just eliminated the lockouts and got on with life.

farmkev

That is a classic arm circuit lockout solenoid failure. Either replace the solenoid or remove it and throw it way for ever. The 420 we used to have had both the arms and bucket solenoids fail. Arm solenoid disabled the machine just like yours, bucket solenoid scared the crap out of me as the magic smoke in the solenoid all went out at once and no fuse blew. I just eliminated the lockouts and got on with life.
Ok thats what we were thinking after swapping electrical leads with tilt solenoid and getting the same result. I want to just cap-off and toss those solenoids but was told it might throw some codes which could shut a guy down. We'll be playing with it again here in a few minutes and see what happens

farmkev

There will be no codes on a pre Series 3 machine.
You are correct lol! Took out the solenoid and replaced with a short bolt, and everythings working great. Thanks for the input man. What do you know about timing? She gets to smoking, running rich it seems, after a couple hours of working. I have learned that if I run it constantly at about 24-2500 rpm and not full throttle, it does not start smoking. I read recently that a small timing adjustment can rectify this. What do you think?

Gearclash

Can't help you there. The 440 had the Case version of a Cummins 4BT I believe. I was only around the 420 which had the Shibura 2.2L turbo diesel. Whole different deal.

JaseBosto

I assume its smoking out the exhaust. Could be blow by. Running it hard for a while it could be getting hot. Might have weak piston rings.
You could run it like that forever but might end up having to top off oil every now and then.

Topper1

I can speak from personal experience. 2010 450 with the cummins/case/iveco engine & bosch injection. . Sputter sputter, smoke smoke.when hot & bel9w full throttle. Blue grey raw diesel smoke. Tweak your injection pump 1/8". (T⁶owards cylinder head). No more smokey. No more burning eyes.

farmkev

I can speak from personal experience. 2010 450 with the cummins/case/iveco engine & bosch injection. . Sputter sputter, smoke smoke.when hot & bel9w full throttle. Blue grey raw diesel smoke. Tweak your injection pump 1/8". (T⁶owards cylinder head). No more smokey. No more burning eyes.
Topper Is yours a series 3? Mine is a 2007 pre-3 430

farmkev

Yours will most likely be same as my '06 430. Iveco 445/M2 ,non turbo, Tier 2 engine.. Earlier non-turbo version of the 445T/M3 in the series 3 440s & 450s.
Ya sounds right, we will definitely try that bro, thanks for the response.

Latest posts