328 Hyd pump sucking air

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

My two cents: even if I did not work for a dealer, something as major as a pump I would only get a factory replacement. A lot of this stuff is built to OEM spec and even thought the basic same pump is used on brand A and B, there are likly differenc one can't see. Bobcat is veray good at using say size 5, 4 and 6 are common as dirt and 5 just don't exist outside of Bobcat.
It is a Bobcat oem pump, made for them by Haldex. I did check with LPS initially but they were unable to source. They are oem only.

Bobcatdan

It is a Bobcat oem pump, made for them by Haldex. I did check with LPS initially but they were unable to source. They are oem only.
It sucks when something brand new doesn't work. Apples to oragnes, it one took bobcat four tries to get me the right knuckle for a toolcat. It was back order for three months to begin with, then it shows up, right number on the box, wrong side. This happen two more times before I got the right one.

Fishfiles

It sucks when something brand new doesn't work. Apples to oragnes, it one took bobcat four tries to get me the right knuckle for a toolcat. It was back order for three months to begin with, then it shows up, right number on the box, wrong side. This happen two more times before I got the right one.
you saying that it is free flowing oil thru the outlet port would suggest to me that seals are blown or excessive wear inside the pump , could have been a bad build , I think I would open the pump to determine what caused the failure ----------- to get another pump and install it then it does the same thing again from a cause that has yet to be found wouldn't be nice

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

you saying that it is free flowing oil thru the outlet port would suggest to me that seals are blown or excessive wear inside the pump , could have been a bad build , I think I would open the pump to determine what caused the failure ----------- to get another pump and install it then it does the same thing again from a cause that has yet to be found wouldn't be nice
Fishfiles
Its not even a rebuild, it is brand new, so I'm not going to give them any excuse to hang it on me.
It took 10 minutes for that one 8 gpm section to pump the 6 gallon reservoir dry, through a 3/8 hose on the test port. Though the machine was at a idle.
It makes no pressure, guessing @ 5 psi Like they forgot to install one of the gears.

Fishfiles

Fishfiles
Its not even a rebuild, it is brand new, so I'm not going to give them any excuse to hang it on me.
It took 10 minutes for that one 8 gpm section to pump the 6 gallon reservoir dry, through a 3/8 hose on the test port. Though the machine was at a idle.
It makes no pressure, guessing @ 5 psi Like they forgot to install one of the gears.
I never used the word ( re ) build , the word was build , that new pump was assemblied ( built ) by some one some where , during that assembly ( which may have been in Medico for all I know , it could have be improper built ------------ something else that could have fried it was that it was not primed up or trash was still in the system from the first failure -------what I was saying is make sure it's all right before you trash another pump as they will probally warranty this one but if it happens again it could become a mess

7LBSSMALLIE

I never used the word ( re ) build , the word was build , that new pump was assemblied ( built ) by some one some where , during that assembly ( which may have been in Medico for all I know , it could have be improper built ------------ something else that could have fried it was that it was not primed up or trash was still in the system from the first failure -------what I was saying is make sure it's all right before you trash another pump as they will probally warranty this one but if it happens again it could become a mess
looking over posts what we neglected was the brass filler screen in hyd tank. is it thhere pull tank and dump it. i did not read all posts at this time.having a beer in garage, let us start again we have a three section hyd pump one or more is introducing air into hyd sys cauising cavatition. as edvinced by foamy oil, is this correct

7LBSSMALLIE

looking over posts what we neglected was the brass filler screen in hyd tank. is it thhere pull tank and dump it. i did not read all posts at this time.having a beer in garage, let us start again we have a three section hyd pump one or more is introducing air into hyd sys cauising cavatition. as edvinced by foamy oil, is this correct
now lets isolate, start by identi. function of eaach pump. let cool and un foam, you follow? is it travel .work group or charge, this may aid in identifactioj of problem. isolate

7LBSSMALLIE

now lets isolate, start by identi. function of eaach pump. let cool and un foam, you follow? is it travel .work group or charge, this may aid in identifactioj of problem. isolate
if this landed in my lap i would do a direct pump test on all three. i would dial in all pressures to high side of spec. and than check operation.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

if this landed in my lap i would do a direct pump test on all three. i would dial in all pressures to high side of spec. and than check operation.
The original pump was foaming from a bad E seal, but had some wear. However system was not contaminated and the was plenty of flow to the pumps suction. Customer decided on a new pump over reseal job on 2800 hour pump. No hard parts are available.
New pump foamy oil problem gone, but only made pressure on 1 section. The other 2 had none. I could stop the flow with my thumb over the output line,(so pointless to flow test) basically the oil was running via gravity from the tank through the pump on section 2 and three, starting the engine just sped this process up a bit.
Unfortunately I had to leave it in the hand of a mechanic friend, as I have taken a new job 1100 miles away, 2 weeks out, 1 back home.
So I just called him so I could update you all. Drum roll.... when you turn the input shaft on the pump, sections 2 and 3 do not rotate.
Between the pump sections (I pulled the old pump down) are short splined drive shafts to continue the drive to the next section, one must have be left out in assembly.
So Fish you hit the nail on the head. My apologies for mis reading what you said earlier.
Dave does not have the unit up yet, because when I crossed the engine lube filter from Baldwin to Wix they gave me the wrong part (bad wix! Screams "why me", can't catch a break, and I even double check the # because the filter was a bit smaller, the cross reference is wrong) so he is just waiting on a lube filter and has to put the counter weight back on. Pretty sure it will be all good now.
This "may" be why I won't miss being a mechanic at my new job as a operator.. only a operator, dont even touch the dip stick!!! (Union)
Although I gave the fuel/lube guys a heads up on low hyd oil on my loader and the prick had the nerve to say "just stand back and let us do our job"
I just about told him to STFU and pay attention, your talking to a licensed mechanic "pumpboy", but I'm new there , so I though I had better behave myself. (and I have a few weeks to go b4 I write the goverment test)
I got to meet the equipment manager the next day, he is a great guy and we hit it off. In a few minutes of talking he was glad to have me and we are on the same page.
And I'm sure the mechanic thing is like a disease, and I'll be back at it at some point, hopefully with this new company.

Fishfiles

The original pump was foaming from a bad E seal, but had some wear. However system was not contaminated and the was plenty of flow to the pumps suction. Customer decided on a new pump over reseal job on 2800 hour pump. No hard parts are available.
New pump foamy oil problem gone, but only made pressure on 1 section. The other 2 had none. I could stop the flow with my thumb over the output line,(so pointless to flow test) basically the oil was running via gravity from the tank through the pump on section 2 and three, starting the engine just sped this process up a bit.
Unfortunately I had to leave it in the hand of a mechanic friend, as I have taken a new job 1100 miles away, 2 weeks out, 1 back home.
So I just called him so I could update you all. Drum roll.... when you turn the input shaft on the pump, sections 2 and 3 do not rotate.
Between the pump sections (I pulled the old pump down) are short splined drive shafts to continue the drive to the next section, one must have be left out in assembly.
So Fish you hit the nail on the head. My apologies for mis reading what you said earlier.
Dave does not have the unit up yet, because when I crossed the engine lube filter from Baldwin to Wix they gave me the wrong part (bad wix! Screams "why me", can't catch a break, and I even double check the # because the filter was a bit smaller, the cross reference is wrong) so he is just waiting on a lube filter and has to put the counter weight back on. Pretty sure it will be all good now.
This "may" be why I won't miss being a mechanic at my new job as a operator.. only a operator, dont even touch the dip stick!!! (Union)
Although I gave the fuel/lube guys a heads up on low hyd oil on my loader and the prick had the nerve to say "just stand back and let us do our job"
I just about told him to STFU and pay attention, your talking to a licensed mechanic "pumpboy", but I'm new there , so I though I had better behave myself. (and I have a few weeks to go b4 I write the goverment test)
I got to meet the equipment manager the next day, he is a great guy and we hit it off. In a few minutes of talking he was glad to have me and we are on the same page.
And I'm sure the mechanic thing is like a disease, and I'll be back at it at some point, hopefully with this new company.
Congradulations on the new job Ken , I am a member of The International Brotherhood of Operating Engineers Local 406 since 1976 , my Dad was a member for 53 years , I was lucky enough to have been an apprentice as a mechanical engineer , I have not work thru the union for quite some time as I am self employed but learned alot and made good money doing it and enjoyed my job --------- good luck ------ever figure out where that pump was built (assemblied) probally Bangcock

7LBSSMALLIE

Congradulations on the new job Ken , I am a member of The International Brotherhood of Operating Engineers Local 406 since 1976 , my Dad was a member for 53 years , I was lucky enough to have been an apprentice as a mechanical engineer , I have not work thru the union for quite some time as I am self employed but learned alot and made good money doing it and enjoyed my job --------- good luck ------ever figure out where that pump was built (assemblied) probally Bangcock
glad you got it squared away. but you shame us all when you state that as an operator you dont have check the dip stick. first line of defense ,operator shame on you unless lube truck is there prior to work day. start. walk around fluid check or walk away id fire youre ass the first time i watched you,

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

glad you got it squared away. but you shame us all when you state that as an operator you dont have check the dip stick. first line of defense ,operator shame on you unless lube truck is there prior to work day. start. walk around fluid check or walk away id fire youre ass the first time i watched you,
Smallie, I agree with you, its not that I don't want to do it, I'm not suposed to do it, we can observe the site glass on the hyd tank if equiped, look for leaks and loose parts or cracks, but that it. Its not that I can't check it, just don't get caught doing it. The machines run around the clock, and are pretty new. So I'm not really sure how they schedule it, I good fuel and hyd oil the other day, grease on the pins that are not auto greased, but no one popped the hood. Mind you the loader is a brand new rental so perhaps thats Komatsu concern.
Its is a different world out here, there is a ladder that can be climbed and no shortage of work. Good pay. So Im really looking forward to a position with a future instead of the pulp and paper industry crying they are broke. Heard that song for 15 years now.
Fish OE's 955, guess I'm going to learn what its all about.