24 hp Onan running poorly

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

what have i done

I have a gehl 2600 skidsteer with an onan 24 hp engine. We were expecting 10" of snow so I gassed it up and decided to run it a bit before the big snow. it was hard to start but once it popped it ran and idled fine. so I backed it into the garage ready for the snow. today we got 10" of snow + drifting. i fired it up and it worked ok, had to keep the choke partially opened . cleared the driveway and put it back into the garage. A few hours later, I started up the skidsteer was going to do some paths for the dogs/chickens...skidsteer ran like crap. had to keep choke fully open and it kept stalling put it in the garage. pulled the spark plugs...they were both BLACK. got 2 new champion plugs same as what was in there... fired it up and still ran like crap whats your guess fuel or ignition?

thynes

Running an engine with the choke, almost always means there is something clogged in the carb. I think that if you gave it a good cleaning, the main jet and the idle circuit, you will cure your rough running engine. From your description it does not sound like an ignition problem, but you should either replace or clean the plugs once the get fouled. Regards, Tim in Mass.

mark18mwm

First thing I would do is take out the drain plug on the bottom of the carb to see if any water is in the carb. that happens to my brothers 2600 every now and then. Next I would check the points and plugs, in that order. if it's still not running good I guess I would open up the carb, but I would try the othes stuff first. just my opinion, let us know what happens.

Tazza

Staff member
First thing I would do is take out the drain plug on the bottom of the carb to see if any water is in the carb. that happens to my brothers 2600 every now and then. Next I would check the points and plugs, in that order. if it's still not running good I guess I would open up the carb, but I would try the othes stuff first. just my opinion, let us know what happens.
I second the carb clean. I found when i had engines running like that, there was a blockage that needed the choke to run as it would allow more fuel in, but when it runs that ritch, you blacken plugs fast till it stops running.

GlennsM444

If that's the CCKMS I had that engine in my Melroe 444 and had similar problems, cutting out, shutting down when hot. Carb losing its prime. I even added an electric fuel pump and to no avail. Got scars on my arms working on that bitch..I would look to your intake manifold gaskets and make sure they are tight. But before you start pouring money into that thing consider that Onan has stopped making parts for these engines. You can't even get points for the older ones anymore. I would strongly consider a repower. I'll probably catch hell for this, but Harbor Freight now offers a 22HP engine fairly cheap. If you're not using the machine for commercial use then this should do ya. It lists for 699 but I've heard of guys getting them with the 20% coupons now and then: http://www.harborfreight.com/22-hp-670cc-v-twin-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-61614.html I repowered mt M444 with a vanguard I found locally on Craigslist. Here is my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2fEUwRCnoY

Latest posts