2013 T 180 water damage

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hi guys hoping someone could help me out. I have a chance to purchase a 2013 T 180 with about 1500 hours on it from a large insurance company. What happened was this T 180 was in a pit and a trac hoe hit a water line which flooded the pit over night before the T 180 could be removed fresh water got up to the seat. To add to the bad news when the tow truck driver showed up he started the machine and drove onto rollback tow truck. I spoke to the owner of the construction company who was honest enough to tell me water did get into the air filter housing. One more thing the insurance company already paid for his loss and the T 180 is at a tow yard so its not like he the owner of construction company is trying to off load his problem he is no longer the owner. I just wanted your guys input, Also its just a stripped down T 180 no air or joysticks for controls.It will be auctioned so I can't give a price what it will go for. Sincerely Jim

Tazza

Staff member
If it was started and ran without blowing the engine up, hopefully it is still ok, but i would bet it has water in the oil. That can be flushed out though.
As it was fresh water, the damage won't be as bad as if it was salt.
I honestly don't know what price it would be worth. My general rule is to think what i could sell parts for if it was indeed beyond repair. Factor in pump and engine value, bucket and go from there.

7LBSSMALLIE

If it was started and ran without blowing the engine up, hopefully it is still ok, but i would bet it has water in the oil. That can be flushed out though.
As it was fresh water, the damage won't be as bad as if it was salt.
I honestly don't know what price it would be worth. My general rule is to think what i could sell parts for if it was indeed beyond repair. Factor in pump and engine value, bucket and go from there.
starts and runs. snatch it. dependining on controoler potted or non potted and even if if was a non pot. still ran onto roll back. controller 1000.. simalliar. unit spent three days in the big O. 30 feet down. drained flushed and put on farm. no guarntees issues might arise. elect specifically. but its a gamble? if the ten grand eng never sucked water. you still got a good repower. let alone the rest of unit. drain flush refill and do it again. lead into gold

mmsllc

starts and runs. snatch it. dependining on controoler potted or non potted and even if if was a non pot. still ran onto roll back. controller 1000.. simalliar. unit spent three days in the big O. 30 feet down. drained flushed and put on farm. no guarntees issues might arise. elect specifically. but its a gamble? if the ten grand eng never sucked water. you still got a good repower. let alone the rest of unit. drain flush refill and do it again. lead into gold
I'd grab it up knowing that it might turn out great or really bad. I wouldn't spend anywhere near what a good running machine sells for. If it runs good though, get it. No balls, no glory!!

Bobcatdan

I'd grab it up knowing that it might turn out great or really bad. I wouldn't spend anywhere near what a good running machine sells for. If it runs good though, get it. No balls, no glory!!
I have seen several bobcats plunck into the water and were fine. If possible before buying, I'd have the oils checked and a compression test. If those are good, I'd say it's fine. The electrical system is probably fine as its sealed pretty good. I would check the fuse box thou. If water was only up to the seat, I doubt water really got into anything. The hydraulic breather is higher then that. Air filter is just as high so just sitting in water I doubt much water really got in there either.

mmsllc

I have seen several bobcats plunck into the water and were fine. If possible before buying, I'd have the oils checked and a compression test. If those are good, I'd say it's fine. The electrical system is probably fine as its sealed pretty good. I would check the fuse box thou. If water was only up to the seat, I doubt water really got into anything. The hydraulic breather is higher then that. Air filter is just as high so just sitting in water I doubt much water really got in there either.
I'd seriously buy it. If it runs long enough to test out, then it is most likely still a good machine. Just don't overpay for it.