2006 L185 excessive lateraal boom movement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

830Scott

My boom is hitting the top of the cab...worn off the cab clearance friction reducers things and hitting my hydraulic lines. I searched the forum here...trying to find the info I am looking for, to no avail. Looks to me there are 4 sets of pins for the main boom and another set for the QA. Without replacing every single pin, are any particular sets known for causing this problem?

Tazza

Staff member
I try and check pin/bushing wear by looking at the joint and lift/tilt slowly forward and backward and see how much they move.
For the wear you are talking about, something must be really worn to be touching the cab!

OP
OP

830Scott

I try and check pin/bushing wear by looking at the joint and lift/tilt slowly forward and backward and see how much they move.
For the wear you are talking about, something must be really worn to be touching the cab!
There are a few threads on this forum that mention the boom touching the cab. Obviously not all that uncommon or NH wouldn't have a "Clearance Kit" installed on the outside of the cab...with anti-friction skids. What I didn't see in any of these threads, the pinpointing of the problematic pins, other than the bucket/QA pins. We have had this machine since new, and grease it every 8-10 hours. Have about 3,250 on it now. Unless they all have equal wear, I would imagine that this play comes from a particular set of pins...and I would suspect some NH guy on here probably knows which ones.

mfyock

There are a few threads on this forum that mention the boom touching the cab. Obviously not all that uncommon or NH wouldn't have a "Clearance Kit" installed on the outside of the cab...with anti-friction skids. What I didn't see in any of these threads, the pinpointing of the problematic pins, other than the bucket/QA pins. We have had this machine since new, and grease it every 8-10 hours. Have about 3,250 on it now. Unless they all have equal wear, I would imagine that this play comes from a particular set of pins...and I would suspect some NH guy on here probably knows which ones.
I don't know that there is one set of pins/bushings in the boom that creates the problem, rather wear in all the boom pivots that allows the boom to move around. The boom and boom linkage all have replaceable bushings in the pivots. The bushings are not expensive, but getting the tapered pins out of the linkage can be a real pain. I would suggest just starting to replace all the bushings starting with the links that are the longest. The longer links allow more movement at their far end than a short link.

OP
OP

830Scott

I don't know that there is one set of pins/bushings in the boom that creates the problem, rather wear in all the boom pivots that allows the boom to move around. The boom and boom linkage all have replaceable bushings in the pivots. The bushings are not expensive, but getting the tapered pins out of the linkage can be a real pain. I would suggest just starting to replace all the bushings starting with the links that are the longest. The longer links allow more movement at their far end than a short link.
Thanks for the advice! I thought the "pins" were the the wear points....not knowing there are bushings. I will research this more.

Latest posts