1991 843B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

budtoh3zo

I am currently looking at a 1991 843B. The motor is shot there is a hole in the block looks like the crank snapped. It does still start for now hopefully long enough to get it on the trailer as it broke the cam as well and broke the oil pump gear off. The hydrolic pumps were just rebuilt 350 hours ago. Not sure on total hours as the meter is wrong. It has been repinned and bushing. Fully cabbed in with heat. Anything else i should look at? also what are they worth running? I havent found many for sale up here. Thanks!

SkidRoe

With anything like this, if you can get it really cheap, there are parts available to fix it,and you can do the majority of the work yourself, it may be worth pursuing. There are a number of guys on the forum running 843's, and while they so have their own idiosyncrasies (principally the drive coupler between the engine and the pumps), they appear to be good machines. HTH

HanSolo

I paid $1500 for my 843 with a broken input shaft on the rear pump. It's got the Izusu motor and is a strong machine. I see them in good running condition on local Craigslist in the $7500 to $9000 range so they've got some value yet. You'll be swopping the motor so take a hard look at the u-joint. When that fails, bad things happen. If the pumps were recently rebuilt, perhaps they replaced the u-joint. Also, if you're storing it outside, drill some extra weep holes in the fan shroud to drain rain water. Mine was completely clogged with grease and dirt, collecting water and throwing the mixture up into the hydraulic cooling coil.

OP
OP
budtoh3zo

budtoh3zo

I paid $1500 for my 843 with a broken input shaft on the rear pump. It's got the Izusu motor and is a strong machine. I see them in good running condition on local Craigslist in the $7500 to $9000 range so they've got some value yet. You'll be swopping the motor so take a hard look at the u-joint. When that fails, bad things happen. If the pumps were recently rebuilt, perhaps they replaced the u-joint. Also, if you're storing it outside, drill some extra weep holes in the fan shroud to drain rain water. Mine was completely clogged with grease and dirt, collecting water and throwing the mixture up into the hydraulic cooling coil.
yes I will be doing all the work myself. currently trying to source a motor out. straight from bc they want $6100. that is a drop in witch this thing needs or need to find one I can rebuild. I have read about that u joint and will probably replace it just because I'm there and it's cheap while it's apart. thanks for the tip for drilling extra weep holes as I just have one garage so it may have to stay out side if I have a truck needing work.

jlmoon

yes I will be doing all the work myself. currently trying to source a motor out. straight from bc they want $6100. that is a drop in witch this thing needs or need to find one I can rebuild. I have read about that u joint and will probably replace it just because I'm there and it's cheap while it's apart. thanks for the tip for drilling extra weep holes as I just have one garage so it may have to stay out side if I have a truck needing work.
Hello Bud, If it is the Isuzu 4JB1 which I suspect it is. I have some pretty good makings of a nice one. I just rebuilt the one in my 853 and it cost me around $3500. That price was mostly for parts ... ie., gaskets, rings, bearings - both cam , rod & mains, new crank shaft, valve job, seals, new glowplugs, rebuilt injector pump and all the extras typical of a complete rebuild. If you have a broken crank shaft (which I have never seen on this one, but maybe a broken rod - very possible!) then I would suggest you remove and loop the drive motor hydro lines leaving oil in them and winch it up on a trailer. You might save some of those pretty valuable engine parts. If you interested in what I did.. let me know or contact me off group. I have both a 843 and 853 with the isuzu engines along with an extra 4JB1T (turbo) engine and when im finished with my reworks could wind up with enough parts that I might part with sometime in the near future. Thanks, JLM

OP
OP
budtoh3zo

budtoh3zo

Hello Bud, If it is the Isuzu 4JB1 which I suspect it is. I have some pretty good makings of a nice one. I just rebuilt the one in my 853 and it cost me around $3500. That price was mostly for parts ... ie., gaskets, rings, bearings - both cam , rod & mains, new crank shaft, valve job, seals, new glowplugs, rebuilt injector pump and all the extras typical of a complete rebuild. If you have a broken crank shaft (which I have never seen on this one, but maybe a broken rod - very possible!) then I would suggest you remove and loop the drive motor hydro lines leaving oil in them and winch it up on a trailer. You might save some of those pretty valuable engine parts. If you interested in what I did.. let me know or contact me off group. I have both a 843 and 853 with the isuzu engines along with an extra 4JB1T (turbo) engine and when im finished with my reworks could wind up with enough parts that I might part with sometime in the near future. Thanks, JLM
you are right about the motor.I will keep all good parts mostly just need a block. so if I do get it I will keep in touch with you and see if you need any or vise virsa. thanks!

OP
OP
budtoh3zo

budtoh3zo

you are right about the motor.I will keep all good parts mostly just need a block. so if I do get it I will keep in touch with you and see if you need any or vise virsa. thanks!
Well got it loaded and bringing her home. Pics to come.

OP
OP
budtoh3zo

budtoh3zo

Well got it loaded and heading home. Not sure how that thing still runs! New motor and should be good for a long time. The hunt begins!