1990's 742, dwell question/low power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jjgreener

1994 Bobcat 742 with ford gas engine (2000 hours). Book calls for 12 degrees BTDC timing and 48-52 degrees of dwell on the points gapped at .025". With all this accomplished the skidsteer is under powered with a small load (bucket full of wood). Should I try a smaller dwell or a little less timing? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

brettk1

If dwell is correct and engine has decent compression then I'd look at checking the function of the governor gas engines in general produce less torque than similar sized diesels, so maintaining correct RPM (governor) is very important to produce usable power.

jerry

Be sure to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance when setting the timing and run it 600 rpm or less so the mechanical advance does not kick in. .025 seems like a lot of gap try about .015 to .018, I think that worked the best on my 632.

jerry

Be sure to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance when setting the timing and run it 600 rpm or less so the mechanical advance does not kick in. .025 seems like a lot of gap try about .015 to .018, I think that worked the best on my 632.
You are certainly right on the .025 gap and the timing degrees, though after you time it and hook up the vacuum advance give it a little throttle and it is amazing how far advanced they actually run.