1840 pulling to one side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skeet

Got a 1993 Case 1840 that is stronger on the left side so the driver has to compensate ont he opposite side. Trying to get a manual but needed some general info on whether that can be balanced out in the steering cable linkage or necessary to wait until it gets irritating enough to change the other pump. Thanks

buckwheat_la

did you change one pump already? there are two set/control screws that can help you set it so it works properly.

OP
OP
S

Skeet

did you change one pump already? there are two set/control screws that can help you set it so it works properly.
No, I have not a replaced pump. The loader was this way when I purchased it last summer and I been working around the issue but would like to even it out. Where are the screws that you mention? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
No, I have not a replaced pump. The loader was this way when I purchased it last summer and I been working around the issue but would like to even it out. Where are the screws that you mention? Thanks
If you can, swap drive motors, see if the problem moves, if so its a motor, if not its the pump.
Its really the only way to find what is the cause.
It could be as simpe as a leaking drive motor seal.

Yoda

If you can, swap drive motors, see if the problem moves, if so its a motor, if not its the pump.
Its really the only way to find what is the cause.
It could be as simpe as a leaking drive motor seal.
Tazza, my 1845c tends to drift one way, both sides have plenty of power, I also noticed the side that is slower, the drive motor has a very slight oil leak, just enough to get a damp with oil on the bottom of the motor after running it for a couple of hours. will it hurt it to just run it this way? would having the motor seals replaced possibly fix this? Its not that big of a deal to me just to run it this way unless I could cause further damage. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, my 1845c tends to drift one way, both sides have plenty of power, I also noticed the side that is slower, the drive motor has a very slight oil leak, just enough to get a damp with oil on the bottom of the motor after running it for a couple of hours. will it hurt it to just run it this way? would having the motor seals replaced possibly fix this? Its not that big of a deal to me just to run it this way unless I could cause further damage. Thanks
I don't believe it will damage anything. New seals should fix the leak but it may not make the speed the same. Does it pull to the same side forward and backward?
If its different, it could be an adjustment causing the steering lever to bottom out.
Just how much does it pull to one side? A slight drift is nothing to worry about, my machine does it a little, but only needs a small correction to keep it going straight.

Yoda

I don't believe it will damage anything. New seals should fix the leak but it may not make the speed the same. Does it pull to the same side forward and backward?
If its different, it could be an adjustment causing the steering lever to bottom out.
Just how much does it pull to one side? A slight drift is nothing to worry about, my machine does it a little, but only needs a small correction to keep it going straight.
Yes it pulls the same way forward and reverse, I would guess maybe in ten yards travel distance it would pull a foot to the left. next time I have it out I will measure.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes it pulls the same way forward and reverse, I would guess maybe in ten yards travel distance it would pull a foot to the left. next time I have it out I will measure.
The best way to confirm is to swap motors from side to side, if it moves its the motor.
That is quite a bit of drift, mine would do about one in 50. You really only notice it on flat straight runs.