10w30 motor oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

krunchkat99

I just bought a 1998 135s and the owners manual calls for 10w30 api SE/CD for the engine, hydraulics and drives. Is this a deisel specific oil? Local parts store has to order it in, not that common I guess. Just wondering if it would be regular 10w30 or deisel rated. Thanks for any help.

Tazza

Staff member
The engine needs diesel grade oil, i run 15W40 diesel grade for my engine and any 10W30-20W50 for my hydraulics. The hydraulic oil doesn't need to be diesel engine grade, any standard engine oil works here. The oil you use really depends on your location, the colder the weather the lighter oil you can use to assist in cold starting.
There has been many debates with regards to what oil we should be running in our machines, i have been running standard engine oil for a while without any problems.

Jyuma

The engine needs diesel grade oil, i run 15W40 diesel grade for my engine and any 10W30-20W50 for my hydraulics. The hydraulic oil doesn't need to be diesel engine grade, any standard engine oil works here. The oil you use really depends on your location, the colder the weather the lighter oil you can use to assist in cold starting.
There has been many debates with regards to what oil we should be running in our machines, i have been running standard engine oil for a while without any problems.
I realize this is a long dead thread but rather than start a new discussion on an old topic I'll just jump in take my lumps...
Due to my own ignorance I have been using regular automotive oil (gas grade) in my T133 for over 20 years. The very fact that I've been using the same loader that long should tell you that I don't use it all that much.
emotion-10.gif

I use straight 30 weight oil in both the crankcase and the hydraulics and I've never had a problem. Admittedly I don't really push my loader very hard but 20 years is a long time to be making a mistake with oil grade and not notice any negatives.
Cold weather starts were initially an issue but long ago I found that a quick squirt of starting either into the air intake... (and don't use the glow plugs)... gets the engine running in even the coldest weather.
What damage have I done by using the wrong oil?

billy the bat

Dont use 10w30. that is minimum and a old oil. The industry standard now is C14. And that is the best to use in both the motor and Hydraulics (where hydraulic fluid is diesal oil) C14/SL 15-40w It is a better class of oil. Infact i queried a thomas service centre and they use the same oil.

kroog

Dont use 10w30. that is minimum and a old oil. The industry standard now is C14. And that is the best to use in both the motor and Hydraulics (where hydraulic fluid is diesal oil) C14/SL 15-40w It is a better class of oil. Infact i queried a thomas service centre and they use the same oil.
I use synthetic 5W-40 diesel in the engine and regular 10W30 in everything else.
I never had any problems this way.
I have a Deutz oil cooled engine and they say use only full synthetic.