X320 Relay Location (Starter & Glow)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fabricator

Have been having problems with the glow plugs remaining on. Thought it was an ignition switch issue, but after disconnecting wires there and having the light still remain on, I went looking elsewhere.

Took me awhile to even find the relays. The service and parts manuals just sort of generically showed them by the engine - I'm guessing there is actually a separate service manual for the diesel engine service/parts. Finally found them bundled with cable ties down under the hydraulic pump with a rat's nest of wires. The PO did more than a few of these questionable "maintenance" operations...

Opened up the relays and the glow plug relay dumped out a couple teaspoons of water. Ok... Guess that is why it was staying on...

Since I'm in there anyway, where are the relays SUPPOSED to be fastened? The PO cut and spliced a bunch of wires (why?) so I'm going to have to clean things up anyway. As such, might as well put them where they're supposed to be so that I can get to them easier and so that they don't take on water again.

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

Well, spent some time looking things over. I really cannot see a mounting point for the two relays - no obvious threaded holes or brackets or such. Also found out that the PO changed the relay bases around - probably the reason for the hacked wiring - so the stock relay doesn't fit the base. Gave up and wired in a 60amp push button switch for the glow plugs.

Although this means that someone could run the glow plugs without the key, I have a battery disconnect on the machine anyway, so it is not a big concern.

Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll have to see if they can still get me that wiring harness segment and how much unobtainium it is made out of ($$$$). If it is reasonable, I'll get one and do things right. For now, I need the excavator to work!

mrdeere1959

Well, spent some time looking things over. I really cannot see a mounting point for the two relays - no obvious threaded holes or brackets or such. Also found out that the PO changed the relay bases around - probably the reason for the hacked wiring - so the stock relay doesn't fit the base. Gave up and wired in a 60amp push button switch for the glow plugs.

Although this means that someone could run the glow plugs without the key, I have a battery disconnect on the machine anyway, so it is not a big concern.

Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll have to see if they can still get me that wiring harness segment and how much unobtainium it is made out of ($$$$). If it is reasonable, I'll get one and do things right. For now, I need the excavator to work!
Ouch. $ 834.94 for the harness that the relays plug into

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

Ouch. $ 834.94 for the harness that the relays plug into
Wow! I was expecting a certain amount of unobtainium in it, but not that much! Push button it is!

By the way, where did you find the price? I always wish I could get a ballpark number on things before I walked in there.

mrdeere1959

Wow! I was expecting a certain amount of unobtainium in it, but not that much! Push button it is!

By the way, where did you find the price? I always wish I could get a ballpark number on things before I walked in there.
I looked it up on BASS bobcats parts system. I work at a dealership.

mahans7

Oh, should have figured. But was hoping that there was something the general public could access.
Fabricator, I feel your pain. The PO on my 743 did some questionable wiring also. I don't have any fuses in the front wiring harness(they are all corroded beyond use) and I guess they just wired around them. The wires are faded and I can't tell the color on many of the wires. But one day soon I'm going to wire the fuses back in.