Wow what a diiference in traction....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

PYALONG

One minute into a job found I could not get enough/any traction with my NH L175 (New) and the ground only had 2 inches of wetish soil.....underneath that it was dry..... So I put my Case 420CT into action.......WOW........was looking for mud but nothing would stop it. I was more surprised how easy it was to loose complete traction on my skid steer rendering it useless for the day........

Tazza

Staff member
Not unusual, the tracks add much more surface area for grip. They have their place, but track wear is more costly than tyres. More friendly on grass too.
Glad you are happy with the performance on your track machine.

OP
OP
P

PYALONG

Not unusual, the tracks add much more surface area for grip. They have their place, but track wear is more costly than tyres. More friendly on grass too.
Glad you are happy with the performance on your track machine.
Thanks....Wanted to use the NH that day as it was very cold outside and it's got a heated Cab...... but just had to harden-up and brave the cold in the Case's open Cab........ Yea I usually sprinkle a little dirt and or water when having to cross to much concrete with the Case..........

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks....Wanted to use the NH that day as it was very cold outside and it's got a heated Cab...... but just had to harden-up and brave the cold in the Case's open Cab........ Yea I usually sprinkle a little dirt and or water when having to cross to much concrete with the Case..........
I agree, water or dirt sure helps reduce wear on hard surfaces. I'm glad i hardly ever need to move on concrete or asphalt, if i do, i make sure i do wide turns to try and cause less wear, if it works or not, i have no idea.

OP
OP
P

PYALONG

I agree, water or dirt sure helps reduce wear on hard surfaces. I'm glad i hardly ever need to move on concrete or asphalt, if i do, i make sure i do wide turns to try and cause less wear, if it works or not, i have no idea.
Reckon it does....Makes sense as it does seem to disturb the ground less by making bigger less aggressive turns...... It's made me a better/smoother operator as I just don't seem to care or notice as much with my wheeled SS.

nilestracing

Reckon it does....Makes sense as it does seem to disturb the ground less by making bigger less aggressive turns...... It's made me a better/smoother operator as I just don't seem to care or notice as much with my wheeled SS.
yea tracks are the way to go in the muck. However tires are far better when you remove a driveway lol found that out the hard way. My tracks were nearly new and i didnt even get done with the driveway removal before one became un wire strung and broke. It started with one cord then a hour later the whole track snaped a side and came off. There was no other way in our situation to load the dumpster except to keep climbing the old concrete to get to the end of the driveway where the dumpster was on the street.