Will it lift it?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

primebeef

Bobcat s160 counterweight on the door and on the doughnuts on the rear axles. I need to lift a skid that weighs 2,000 pounds. The pallet forks weigh around 450lbs then the weight of the wooden pallet and the ton of feed. Will I be able to lift it ok?

frogfarmer

My initial guess would be yes but I have no experience with the s160. My 185 will easily lift in exccess of 2500lbs but its rated at 1850lbs. Your machine should lift somewhere around 3000lbs before it tips but thats in a perfect world and may not account for a load center 24 inches from the plate.

TriHonu

If you only have to get it off the ground you'll be close to tipping.
I have 763. 1500 lb ROC, 3000 tip. The manual states that if the load is placed 24" out on the forks the machine is only rated for 960 lbs (1920 lb tip).
With your counter weights you will probably be able to get it off the ground, however with the radius lift path when you lift the arms, the load is getting further in front of the front axle and you are losing more capacity. When the arms are parallel with the ground the bucket has moved to its furthest point out from the front axle.
For a one time lift I would probably try it. If you need to do this all the time, you need a larger machine.
I was trying to move partial pallets of OSB with my 763. I was surprised the a stack 16 inches tall was more than the loader would pick up. That weight 4 feet out on the forks was just too much.

skidsteer.ca

If you only have to get it off the ground you'll be close to tipping.
I have 763. 1500 lb ROC, 3000 tip. The manual states that if the load is placed 24" out on the forks the machine is only rated for 960 lbs (1920 lb tip).
With your counter weights you will probably be able to get it off the ground, however with the radius lift path when you lift the arms, the load is getting further in front of the front axle and you are losing more capacity. When the arms are parallel with the ground the bucket has moved to its furthest point out from the front axle.
For a one time lift I would probably try it. If you need to do this all the time, you need a larger machine.
I was trying to move partial pallets of OSB with my 763. I was surprised the a stack 16 inches tall was more than the loader would pick up. That weight 4 feet out on the forks was just too much.
The distance the load is in front of the loader will also have a huge impact on what the max weight is you can lift. If you can keep it close I'd say no problem and if its out to the tips of the 48" forks I'd say good luck
Ken

OP
OP
P

primebeef

The distance the load is in front of the loader will also have a huge impact on what the max weight is you can lift. If you can keep it close I'd say no problem and if its out to the tips of the 48" forks I'd say good luck
Ken
It unloaded the skids with no problems today. I think i'm going to rig up a little more counterweight in the rear though, just to be on the safe side. I'm thinking either something on the tailgate or something like the Deere has.

frogfarmer

It unloaded the skids with no problems today. I think i'm going to rig up a little more counterweight in the rear though, just to be on the safe side. I'm thinking either something on the tailgate or something like the Deere has.
These machines will surprise you as to how much they will actually handle. Be careful adding ballast and make sure it can not come loose sudddenly as people have been thrown out of the cab and crushed by the boom when the ballast suddenly gave way.

OP
OP
P

primebeef

These machines will surprise you as to how much they will actually handle. Be careful adding ballast and make sure it can not come loose sudddenly as people have been thrown out of the cab and crushed by the boom when the ballast suddenly gave way.
Right now I'm thinking of getting a thick chunk of steel,paint it orange and mount it to the outside bottom of the door. I don't want it to be very noticeable, Once I figure something out I'll let ya know. But yes it is very surprising what the machine will do.

skidsteer.ca

Right now I'm thinking of getting a thick chunk of steel,paint it orange and mount it to the outside bottom of the door. I don't want it to be very noticeable, Once I figure something out I'll let ya know. But yes it is very surprising what the machine will do.
The new M series machines have a heavy iron bumper below the door. to save it and act as a counter weight, may be something to look at, otherwise your door hinges and latch better be up to the task.
Ken

MikeLitt

primebeef, For added weight you could check out foam filled tires. :) or steel tracks. I been told not to use the combination together tho.

OP
OP
P

primebeef

primebeef, For added weight you could check out foam filled tires. :) or steel tracks. I been told not to use the combination together tho.
Foam filled tires is a great idea. I never added any weight yet, and don't think I'm going to. I had another truck come today with 6 tons of feed. One skid had a few extra bags on it, It weighed in at 2,250. I told the driver that we will probably have to throw a few bags off, because I didn't think I could lift it and he didn't either. But I gave it a try anyways, and I lifted it without a problem. Neither one of us could believe it.

frogfarmer

Foam filled tires is a great idea. I never added any weight yet, and don't think I'm going to. I had another truck come today with 6 tons of feed. One skid had a few extra bags on it, It weighed in at 2,250. I told the driver that we will probably have to throw a few bags off, because I didn't think I could lift it and he didn't either. But I gave it a try anyways, and I lifted it without a problem. Neither one of us could believe it.
Im not surprized it will lift it with no trouble just be careful because when it goes to tip it may go all at once. That machine shouldnt tip until the 3500lb range but the hydraulics likely wont lift 3500lbs anyway.