Which Skid Steer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LIMaint

I have a small 20yr old bobcat that I bought used. I now have a need to add a new skid steer, due to more work. I have also had to turn work away because it was a smaller unit, So the new unit must be at least in the Bobcat S160 range or better. I began looking and saw that my local dealer has a special on the bobcat S175, but I'm concerned that that HP is only 46hp on a non turbo motor. I also looked into the New Holland s170 and Cat 226b, they all seem comparable but the bobcat had the least engine power... I'm bacically going to be grading/using an auger attachment/ sweeper/ some small demo/ and digging. Should I be concerned with the bobcats engine power? Any suggestions on these machines? Thanks

skidsteer.ca

What model/ size machine do you currently have. I have a 2000 model 773 which is a s175, and I would not rate it as over powered but seldom do i find it short of power either. I mow brush with a 5' cutter, dig, lift spread gravel and clay. We run steel tracks on it which greatly increase your traction and the ability of the machine to push into a pile. It can be stalled while doing this but it not a problem that make me bang my head.
I guess more is better, if the machine stands up to the engine, I can see if you work at high elevations, or have a demanding application that you do alot of.
But I think the main rason Bobcat offers the turbo was to have extra hp available for air conditioning,
I also just got a NH LS 160, which is the non turbo version of the the ls 170, at 42 hp it seems fine also. Though I have only used it to push snow so far.
The best way would be to demo each, and see what fits you and your work best.
Ken

Tigerotor77W

What model/ size machine do you currently have. I have a 2000 model 773 which is a s175, and I would not rate it as over powered but seldom do i find it short of power either. I mow brush with a 5' cutter, dig, lift spread gravel and clay. We run steel tracks on it which greatly increase your traction and the ability of the machine to push into a pile. It can be stalled while doing this but it not a problem that make me bang my head.
I guess more is better, if the machine stands up to the engine, I can see if you work at high elevations, or have a demanding application that you do alot of.
But I think the main rason Bobcat offers the turbo was to have extra hp available for air conditioning,
I also just got a NH LS 160, which is the non turbo version of the the ls 170, at 42 hp it seems fine also. Though I have only used it to push snow so far.
The best way would be to demo each, and see what fits you and your work best.
Ken
Ken, how do you find the L160 vs. the S175?

primebeef

Hi I would go with the bobcat s-160, because that has 56 horse with turbo and the s-175 only has 46. I was going to get the s-175 too, but i seen it only had 46 so i got the s-160 and really like it. The bobcat s-185 is the same size as the s-175 but that has a turbo and has 56 horse.