Which Machine?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hedge

Hi all Been lurking for a while and decided to ask this question of everyone here. If you had a choice between these 3 machines which would you pick. I farm and have a small tree clearing project of Locust trees and have manure to load and fence to build. Not to mention hundreds of little other jobs that a skid steer would really fit and make a lot easier.. New S-250 Enclosed cab Heat-A/C Noise reduction package Deluxe instrument panel 2 speed filled bobcat tires Power Bob Tach Bucket Position Valve Attatchment control kit New 74 in bucket and forks Most expensive of the 3 New S-250 Enclosed cab Heat-A/C Deluxe intrument panel Noise reduction package 2 speed regular bobcat tires Power Bob Tach New 74 in Bucket and forks Second most expensive at 2000.00 less than #1 Used 4 yr old T-190 Enclosed cab Heat-A/C Deluxe instrument panel Hand Foot controls switch option Power Bob Tach Bucket and forks 115 Hrs Least expensive at 5000 less than # 1 I know where the 190 came from and am not afraid of the unit but am not sure if I want a track machine or a tire machine? The other question is if the filled tires are that big a deal of a pain in the tail?

thebobcatguy

A wheeled machine is the better choice for all around farm use, especially one with two speed. I would say that for corral cleaning/manure loading you may require over the tire tracks as traction and flotation may be a problem. Can't say how a T190 would be in the manure. Not sure if I would want to clean out the tracks afterwards. Just make sure that if you do buy the T190 that it is the 66hp version. Good luck!!

Iowa Dave

A wheeled machine is the better choice for all around farm use, especially one with two speed. I would say that for corral cleaning/manure loading you may require over the tire tracks as traction and flotation may be a problem. Can't say how a T190 would be in the manure. Not sure if I would want to clean out the tracks afterwards. Just make sure that if you do buy the T190 that it is the 66hp version. Good luck!!
Don't go with a tracked machine for general use. That being said, I have a T-190 for grading and landscaping and wouldn't give it up for anything(although "the Tool" doesn't like T-190's).Problems for general farm use: 1)clean-out behind tracks is a real chore and must be done after nearly every use in winter. 2) Must be kept in a heated shed in below-freezing temps ("mud" behind sprockets will freeze up and machine won't move) 3) tracks are best kept on dirt only, or you will be replacing them all the time--they don't like gravel, concrete, etc, and tracks are $$$$$!! 4) A tracked machine simply takes a lot more maintenance. BUT, they are UNBEATABLE if you make your living grading/doing dirtwork. What about a low-hr'd S-250? There are getting to be deals out there due to the economy. Dave

sp6x6

Don't go with a tracked machine for general use. That being said, I have a T-190 for grading and landscaping and wouldn't give it up for anything(although "the Tool" doesn't like T-190's).Problems for general farm use: 1)clean-out behind tracks is a real chore and must be done after nearly every use in winter. 2) Must be kept in a heated shed in below-freezing temps ("mud" behind sprockets will freeze up and machine won't move) 3) tracks are best kept on dirt only, or you will be replacing them all the time--they don't like gravel, concrete, etc, and tracks are $$$$$!! 4) A tracked machine simply takes a lot more maintenance. BUT, they are UNBEATABLE if you make your living grading/doing dirtwork. What about a low-hr'd S-250? There are getting to be deals out there due to the economy. Dave
A s205 mid frame machine with high float tires is also a great unit and not so heavy to haul around. Just a thought

OP
OP
H

Hedge

I would agree the S205 would be a good choice
Well I really want a bigger machine than a 205. I realize that the T-190 is rated much lower than an S-250 but I have ran the one I am looking at and it will handle about the same as a 250 as far as with a grapple full of trees and brush so I am thinking it would do... What is the story on the 66 hp verson? Is that by year or option. What is the life expectancy of the tracks? I am trying to find a machine that will have some sort of under carrage that will tolerate the thorny locust. I don't have the time or patients for flat tires on a daily basis... I was hoping the tracks would stop that.. My only other options are to get either the filled tires with steel tracks or not filled and steel tracks.. But there again that is more money and my budget isn't liking that...

thebobcatguy

Well I really want a bigger machine than a 205. I realize that the T-190 is rated much lower than an S-250 but I have ran the one I am looking at and it will handle about the same as a 250 as far as with a grapple full of trees and brush so I am thinking it would do... What is the story on the 66 hp verson? Is that by year or option. What is the life expectancy of the tracks? I am trying to find a machine that will have some sort of under carrage that will tolerate the thorny locust. I don't have the time or patients for flat tires on a daily basis... I was hoping the tracks would stop that.. My only other options are to get either the filled tires with steel tracks or not filled and steel tracks.. But there again that is more money and my budget isn't liking that...
When bobcat first introduced the T190 it was basically an S185 with tracks. The rated horsepower on this machine was 56 HP net, same as the S185. In the tracked version (T190) it was terribly underpowered. In 2005, I believe, they came out with a 61 HP version(net) or 66 hp Gross. Huge difference as far as I am concerned. This is the same time they came out with the S205. Also 61 Hp. Big difference between the S185 and S205 also.

sp6x6

When bobcat first introduced the T190 it was basically an S185 with tracks. The rated horsepower on this machine was 56 HP net, same as the S185. In the tracked version (T190) it was terribly underpowered. In 2005, I believe, they came out with a 61 HP version(net) or 66 hp Gross. Huge difference as far as I am concerned. This is the same time they came out with the S205. Also 61 Hp. Big difference between the S185 and S205 also.
The new s205 , 2009, is a tier IV 66 hp machine, a A 91 pkg. is my dream machine w/ high flow 2 spd. right now, but I need a great trde for my s185.

TriHonu

The new s205 , 2009, is a tier IV 66 hp machine, a A 91 pkg. is my dream machine w/ high flow 2 spd. right now, but I need a great trde for my s185.
Quote:
Hedge - 'I realize that the T-190 is rated much lower than an S-250...'
Yes it is rated lower according to the SAE standard. The Rated Operating Capacity (ROC) for loaders is different for track loaders than it is for wheel loaders.
Track loaders are rated at 35% of the weight it takes to tip the loader over.
Wheel loaders are rated at 50% of the weight it takes to tip the loader over.
Which means an S250 wheel loader can pick up 5000 lbs before it will tip over. A T190 can actually pick up about 5428 lbs before it will tip over.
You will find many of the manufactures will now list capacities of their track loaders at both 50% and 35% of tipping load on their sales specifications. This is to allow buyers to more accurately compare capabilities between track and wheel loaders. However the SAE standard still applies.
One of these days when I stop back at the university engineering library I am going to look up SAE standard J818 'Rated Operating Load for Loaders' dated April 2007. I would like to know exactly how they rate them and why the difference.

OP
OP
H

Hedge

Quote:
Hedge - 'I realize that the T-190 is rated much lower than an S-250...'

Yes it is rated lower according to the SAE standard. The Rated Operating Capacity (ROC) for loaders is different for track loaders than it is for wheel loaders.
Track loaders are rated at 35% of the weight it takes to tip the loader over.
Wheel loaders are rated at 50% of the weight it takes to tip the loader over.
Which means an S250 wheel loader can pick up 5000 lbs before it will tip over. A T190 can actually pick up about 5428 lbs before it will tip over.
You will find many of the manufactures will now list capacities of their track loaders at both 50% and 35% of tipping load on their sales specifications. This is to allow buyers to more accurately compare capabilities between track and wheel loaders. However the SAE standard still applies.
One of these days when I stop back at the university engineering library I am going to look up SAE standard J818 'Rated Operating Load for Loaders' dated April 2007. I would like to know exactly how they rate them and why the difference.
I was searching some other posts on T-190's and got the impression that there was some troubles with some bearings and seals. DId the 2005 models have any major problems that I should look for?

ddsprint

I was searching some other posts on T-190's and got the impression that there was some troubles with some bearings and seals. DId the 2005 models have any major problems that I should look for?
hey Hedge, do yourself a favor, and listen I will tell that i have owned a 743 since 1991, and these machines are damn near indestructible, and i was I'm into concrete and can take to the limit, u can pick these machines up for 5 grand all day they are a motor a few pumps and thats it, and they get the job done, i can remember when they came out with the 773 and all the magnetic pick ups, more problems for these guys, i would just chuckle i never had those problems, if u do not use this machine daily u will have these problems, electrical don't like moisture or sitting, and the confusion will begin trying to figure out what is wrong now, u will see, so do yourself a favor and spend 5 grand on one and the other 15 grand on something u could build around your house with that 5 grand loader u will be much happier and your sale value will stay at 5 grand and your property will gain in value, unfortunately most guys are afraid of older ones and don't even know which the good ones are, and if u don't believe ask the mechanics on here they will tell u, the 743 was one of the best ones they made, thats why they quit, it didn't break, straight up, do your research,

Sven

I prefer the Hand/foot control over Joystick controls...The joysticks can be annoying when you're trying to do fine movements or do tight maneuvering...On the flip side the joystick's great when you're using something like a trencher, wheel-saw, planner or anything else where you'll be going along slowly for a while...Just set the creep function and go..going forward for a while is also easier on the back with the joystick since you're not leaning I'd have to agree with the rest of the guys; wheeled would be better for you unless you plan on playing in the mud a lot...also the track loaders have a rougher ride so going distances on the farm, may be a bit annoying... (btw the new suspension Track loaders are sweet!)