wheels, tracks or posi track?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rooneystang

HI guys, I am fairly new to the skid steer game. I am just in the early stages of my landscape company and I currently have an old bobcat 632 (in mint shape), but It doesn't seem to be a very smooth machine. I can make a nice grade with it, but it seems to take a lot of screwing around to get it there. I have always ran equipment, not for a living, but my dad has a logging company so I have always ran skidders, dozers and excavators. I was out on a job the other day and there was a terex pt50 there and it made my machine look like a joke. was some of it the operator? probably a good chunk of it. However it did look like it was smooth as glass, the machine never seemed to dip and dive the same as mine, and the pilot controls looked like they were 100 times easier to operate, and it moved twice as much if not 3 times as much material. I currently owe nothing on my business (truck, skidsteer, trailer), and I almost have enough cash to sell my 632 and buy something with tracks. I am really leaning towards the a cat, terex or asv, because of the posi track setup are these track machines that much easier and smoother to operate? is there a significant difference between the posi track, and straight track as far as smoothness? is there a significant difference between the undercarriage life of a posi track and straight track? I really don't want to buy a bobcat brand machine, bobcat of Ottawa was terrible to deal with for parts for my 632 and I would prefer to steer clear of them at all cost. And I have good connections through the Toromont cat from the logging company and our other business (we build firewood processors also). Thanks for any help in advance

Terexnorthfl

Hi, Don't know if you have decided anything yet but, we are the Terex dealer for North FL. We have seen a bunch of different machines come and go through the years and Terex (which is formerly ASV) Has taken a great product and made it better. The undercarriage is awesome to say the least. It gives you plenty of give when going over rough terrain but allows you to still out push a comparable machine. The machine will speak for its self, however the dealer is who makes the purchase enjoyable. If you have a good dealer then any problems ( and yes it will have some all new equipment will have something) will be nothing to you. I would suggest trying to rent the machine you plan on purchasing just to make sure it suits your needs. I.E. The physical size and HP. You don't want a machine that can move a mountain and not get it into a back yard.