Wheel Spacers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Katoh

G'day Friends Last evening while trying to chase down parts for my bobtach I came across wheel spacers which got me thinking. I run a little 453 and realise its not the most stable machine ever produced, but would adding 2" to each tyre help. That should give it give it another 4" in the wheelbase, do you think it will achieve anything or just a waste of money? I am running the larger floatation tyres already. Does anyone know what the stud pattern is on the smaller 5 bolt machines? will they match with any automotive patterns? Cheers

SkidRoe

Here in North America, the bolt pattern matches some large garden tractors, and 2000 lb 5-bolt trailer axles. I don't know how much that will help you. Instability is just something I live with on my machine, and I have got used to it. I have had more than one person comment to me about my ability to drive my machine on one wheel!! While wheel spacers may help a bit, these little machines will never be as smooth and stable as their larger siblings. FWIW - SR

OP
OP
K

Katoh

Here in North America, the bolt pattern matches some large garden tractors, and 2000 lb 5-bolt trailer axles. I don't know how much that will help you. Instability is just something I live with on my machine, and I have got used to it. I have had more than one person comment to me about my ability to drive my machine on one wheel!! While wheel spacers may help a bit, these little machines will never be as smooth and stable as their larger siblings. FWIW - SR
Thanks SR. Don't know much about one wheel driving sounds a bit serious for me. LOL. I chased it down, over here I believe the Stud/Lug pattern matches the the Ford trailer rims, I realise its being done before but If I pick up a set they maybe OK for tight access work. Trying to find anything over here that is Bobcat is stupidly priced, especially for these smaller machines and there just is not enough of them to find a scrapped one. Still thinking about the wheel spacers, just might make my own when I get time probably never the way I'm going. I find that going over backwards concerns me more, might have to putty a dolly bar on the back. Cheers

[email protected]

Thanks SR. Don't know much about one wheel driving sounds a bit serious for me. LOL. I chased it down, over here I believe the Stud/Lug pattern matches the the Ford trailer rims, I realise its being done before but If I pick up a set they maybe OK for tight access work. Trying to find anything over here that is Bobcat is stupidly priced, especially for these smaller machines and there just is not enough of them to find a scrapped one. Still thinking about the wheel spacers, just might make my own when I get time probably never the way I'm going. I find that going over backwards concerns me more, might have to putty a dolly bar on the back. Cheers
i'm not sure what the offset is on those rims, but could you flip them over (valve stem on the inside)?

OP
OP
K

Katoh

i'm not sure what the offset is on those rims, but could you flip them over (valve stem on the inside)?
With the wider floatation tyres on the 453 they can only go on one way, I found that out just this afternoon as I removed one the tyres to measure up exactly and then tried to install install it the other way without thinking, couldn't work out why it wasn't going on till then. with it reversed the offset is to far into the machine. Just stay tuned on this one as I have found a set of spacers on Ebay for near nothing will add another 3" to the wheelbase that will make it the same as the bucket 1130mm or 44.5" wide. cheers