What's the best way for a newbie to find work with new skid steer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

db2

I'm buying a skid steer for work around the house but I'd like to have it pay for itself over some time. What's the best way for a newbie to find work with new skid steer?

sterlclan

You could put an ad in the local paper or post some business cards at the coffee shop or local gas station a phone number on the machine works too (leave it in your yard so people can see it) Good luck and welcome to the fourm Jeff

Motordoc

You could put an ad in the local paper or post some business cards at the coffee shop or local gas station a phone number on the machine works too (leave it in your yard so people can see it) Good luck and welcome to the fourm Jeff
Just a word of caution.... as a "newbie" you may want to be careful as to whom you lend out your services. We live in a litigious world and if you make a mistake, it can cost you dearly. You may want to set up a Limited Liability Company so if you do carve a hole in the side of someone's house, you will not lose yours! Something to consider..........
Al

Tazza

Staff member
Just a word of caution.... as a "newbie" you may want to be careful as to whom you lend out your services. We live in a litigious world and if you make a mistake, it can cost you dearly. You may want to set up a Limited Liability Company so if you do carve a hole in the side of someone's house, you will not lose yours! Something to consider..........
Al
Thats a very good point, my parents don't want me doing any jobs for that exact reason. You need to be fully covered by insurance before you dig. Over here if you pull up say a phone line, you will be up for thousands!
You should start off doing small jobs for your self and a few for mates to get experience up then start hiring your self out.

Blackhammer

My contract is a good 2 pages long and has alot of lawyer wording in it but basically I call NO CUT before I dig so this way all the local utility companies mark all their lines and in my contract it states "I am not responsible for damage to underground items not located by owner." If the local utilities locate the items and they are not where they located them it is on them. Just a little insurance. The items on the homeowners property that belong to them (sprinklers, Septic tanks, drain fields, etc) it is up to them to mark it. I also have the proper insurance and am incorporated for protection purposes.

farmboy55

My contract is a good 2 pages long and has alot of lawyer wording in it but basically I call NO CUT before I dig so this way all the local utility companies mark all their lines and in my contract it states "I am not responsible for damage to underground items not located by owner." If the local utilities locate the items and they are not where they located them it is on them. Just a little insurance. The items on the homeowners property that belong to them (sprinklers, Septic tanks, drain fields, etc) it is up to them to mark it. I also have the proper insurance and am incorporated for protection purposes.
what kind of an area are you in?? City, rural. I myself get all my work by people I've worked for telling others. Do a good job, But the main thing that works for me is being on the job on time, when you tell them. That is the #1 service I sell. You will have to adjust your price as you go along, with the market your in.
That's my 2 bits, right or wrong it has worked for 38 yrs for me. dennis

Zorack

"My contract is a good 2 pages long and has alot of lawyer wording in it but basically I call NO CUT before I dig so this way all the local utility companies mark all their lines and in my contract it states "I am not responsible for damage to underground items not located by owner." If the local utilities locate the items and they are not where they located them it is on them. Just a little insurance. The items on the homeowners property that belong to them (sprinklers, Septic tanks, drain fields, etc) it is up to them to mark it. I also have the proper insurance and am incorporated for protection purposes." This is an excellent post and removes the burden on to either the owner or utility company to find/mark any underground items before ANY work is to be done for the safety(and the wallet of anyone involved) of the person doing the contract work and owner/utility.

Skidacademy

"My contract is a good 2 pages long and has alot of lawyer wording in it but basically I call NO CUT before I dig so this way all the local utility companies mark all their lines and in my contract it states "I am not responsible for damage to underground items not located by owner." If the local utilities locate the items and they are not where they located them it is on them. Just a little insurance. The items on the homeowners property that belong to them (sprinklers, Septic tanks, drain fields, etc) it is up to them to mark it. I also have the proper insurance and am incorporated for protection purposes." This is an excellent post and removes the burden on to either the owner or utility company to find/mark any underground items before ANY work is to be done for the safety(and the wallet of anyone involved) of the person doing the contract work and owner/utility.
Check out this ecourse https://skidacademy.com/