what type oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Johnnie T

Want to change Hyd. oil in S 220, Dealer says to use Bobcat hyd. oil, friend say to use nothing but 15-40 motor oil is ok what do all of U think Thanks in advance. PS will use Bobcat hyd. filter

Tazza

Staff member
I personally run 20W50 engine oil, cheap and works just fine. You can't use oil that is too thin.
If its under warranty you must use genuine bobcat oil.

Rayder

I personally run 20W50 engine oil, cheap and works just fine. You can't use oil that is too thin.
If its under warranty you must use genuine bobcat oil.
I follow the manual i got with my machine and use 10-30 oil for both hyd. and engine.
Would 20w50 work in temperatures way below freezing?

Tazza

Staff member
I follow the manual i got with my machine and use 10-30 oil for both hyd. and engine.
Would 20w50 work in temperatures way below freezing?
I'm not sure just how much thicker 20W50 would be vs 10W30 in below freezing temperstures... I just use it because when its on sale, its really cheap over here.

bobbie-g

I'm not sure just how much thicker 20W50 would be vs 10W30 in below freezing temperstures... I just use it because when its on sale, its really cheap over here.
For hydraulic oil, I use only the Bobcat stuff. I know lots of folks don't, and that's fine. Just offering my perspective here. My reasoning is that I only have to change the hydro oil every 1000 hrs. It costs more, but at last check it's about $20/gallon vs $9/gallon for motor oil. $11/gallon more x 8 gallons is a hundred bucks. 1000 hrs on my machine is about 5 years. So for 20 bucks a year I use the real stuff. But I really respect the opinions of Tazza and others who use engine oil. I just look at it slightly differently. :) ---RC

biggie

I,m with bobby-g. Either Bobcat hyd. oil, or if I can,t get it. A all season hyd oil from the local farm store. Cheaping out on the oil the basicly RUNS you machine is NUTS, for the cost

donald73d

I,m with bobby-g. Either Bobcat hyd. oil, or if I can,t get it. A all season hyd oil from the local farm store. Cheaping out on the oil the basicly RUNS you machine is NUTS, for the cost
I looked around and the upper end for ISO 46 hydraulic fluid was 80F. And that is what I believe Bobcat hydraulic fluid is. But even in NY it can get into the 90s in July and August.