What size should I get? Acreage, Landscaping...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

twiskus

I am building a home on a little over 4 acres. I have 30 tons of river rock sitting on site in prep for the landscaping. I won't be sodding until I have that all done. I will need to move dirt around and also will need to be able to lift a bucket of medium sized river rock (I don't plan on needing to use a bucket bigger than 36 or 44" which I am sure can limit my options. I will use the loader for removing snow on the driveway and other unknown projects that will come about. I am considering new, but hate the idea of paying more for less machine, so used is preferred. When I last used a Bobcat 15 years ago, it was a 773 and did a really nice job at the landscape place I worked at. I am positive that I can't go with a 400/500 series or an S70/S100 either. I am thinking it will need to be S130/600 series or above. Thoughts? Trev

Fabricator

I'd say you're on the right track. I have a 630 that I use around my property similarly to your projected uses - clear snow in winter, landscaping and mulch in the summer, etc. The 400/500 series is just too small in my opinion. They have their uses in tight quarters, but unless you need that compactness you'll be better served by the small end of the "fullsize" machines.

I bought mine when I was building my workshop. After the first 7 ton delivery of stone and moving it around with a shovel and wheelbarrow, I quickly decided a Bobcat was cheaper than back surgery... All told, I moved over 100 ton of stone with the Bobcat that first summer.

reaperman

If you could find a decent 753 (s130, basically the same) it would be about the right size. The 753 has the same engine as a 773, only turned down about 2-3hp. It has a bit smaller frame and wheelbase than the 773/763, but is a very capable machine. Big enough to get most any job done, and small enough to get into tight spots. Remember once you get a machine, you will find many more used for it than imagined. Stick with a diesel over gas, the power difference is huge. Good luck

mahans7

If you could find a decent 753 (s130, basically the same) it would be about the right size. The 753 has the same engine as a 773, only turned down about 2-3hp. It has a bit smaller frame and wheelbase than the 773/763, but is a very capable machine. Big enough to get most any job done, and small enough to get into tight spots. Remember once you get a machine, you will find many more used for it than imagined. Stick with a diesel over gas, the power difference is huge. Good luck
Might also think about a 743/743B which has about 7.5 hp less than the 753 but may be a bit cheaper and seems fairly prevalent especially around this forum. Tazza has one.