what motors in bobcats

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kls

I know that the bobcat iam looking at (2000) has a diesel but woundering what kind of diesel is it always a kubota motor and how many hours on average could you get before a rebuild and also how long do the hydro pumps last on average thank you

OldMachinist

You'll have to be more specific as to the Bobcat model you're looking at for someone to say which engine it has. Bobcat has used Kubota, Deutz, Izuzu and Perkins diesel engines. The hydrostatic pumps should outlast any engine with proper maintenance.

Tazza

Staff member
You'll have to be more specific as to the Bobcat model you're looking at for someone to say which engine it has. Bobcat has used Kubota, Deutz, Izuzu and Perkins diesel engines. The hydrostatic pumps should outlast any engine with proper maintenance.
As OM said, we would need to know what model machine.
As a very rough guide, a diesel engine will give you 5-6,000 hours before it starts to get a little hard to start. Even with high hours, it can still run well, just a bit hard to get going. I had a 743 with about 6,500 hours up. It was a beast to start, 30 second glows. But when it was going, it ran all day. Even re-starting when it was warm was a snap, it fired right up.
The hydros will do 10,000+ with proper care, i remember a user on the forum a few months ago mention he had a 743 from new, on its third or forth engine and the hydros were only JUST starting to get lazy. On average, thats 15-20,000 hours!!!

OP
OP
K

kls

thanks for your help already with as little info as i provided iam actually looking at three the first is a 2000 763, the second is a 2000 753, and the third is a 1997 553 and what in ur opion is the best machine thanks

OldMachinist

thanks for your help already with as little info as i provided iam actually looking at three the first is a 2000 763, the second is a 2000 753, and the third is a 1997 553 and what in ur opion is the best machine thanks
All three of those machines have Kubota engines. As far as which is the best machine it depends on how many hours on it, what you plan to do with it and your budget.

Tazza

Staff member
All three of those machines have Kubota engines. As far as which is the best machine it depends on how many hours on it, what you plan to do with it and your budget.
Lifting capacity is different on those too.
The 763 and 753 lift pretty much the same at around 1,500 lbs, but the 553 is about 500 lbs less (don't quote me on that figure).

OP
OP
K

kls

the 2000 763 has 3080 hours is in decent shape no cab or heat and is $9800 the 1997 553 has 3747 hours to good shape no cab or heat and is $8900 the other 2000 753 has 3367 in rougher shape but cab heater and key less for 8900 not sure where you guys are but iam in canada and the prices seem higher then in the states iam trying to spend around $10000 with taxes thanks you guys are awesome

nobull1

the 2000 763 has 3080 hours is in decent shape no cab or heat and is $9800 the 1997 553 has 3747 hours to good shape no cab or heat and is $8900 the other 2000 753 has 3367 in rougher shape but cab heater and key less for 8900 not sure where you guys are but iam in canada and the prices seem higher then in the states iam trying to spend around $10000 with taxes thanks you guys are awesome
No cab or heat sucks. Would you be using it for snow removal?Where do you live in Canada?

Brian

OP
OP
K

kls

No cab or heat sucks. Would you be using it for snow removal?Where do you live in Canada?

Brian
iam in london ontario and we can get alot of snow and thats what i would be doing is moving it so yeah i just thought if i got one with no cab or heat i could buy a used one later?

Tazza

Staff member
iam in london ontario and we can get alot of snow and thats what i would be doing is moving it so yeah i just thought if i got one with no cab or heat i could buy a used one later?
No cab? as in the ROPS?
The 2000 753 with 3367 hours sounds good. Check the engine starts and runs well from cold. Those hours are still pretty low, you still have a good 2-3,000 hours of life in the engine if it has been maintained.

OP
OP
K

kls

No cab? as in the ROPS?
The 2000 753 with 3367 hours sounds good. Check the engine starts and runs well from cold. Those hours are still pretty low, you still have a good 2-3,000 hours of life in the engine if it has been maintained.
yeah the closed in R.o.p.s i think is the way to go

pondfishr

yeah the closed in R.o.p.s i think is the way to go
An average worker in the US works 2000 hours per year. If a diesel engine runs 6000 hours as an average thats like Monday - Friday running 8 hours a day for 3 years. Pretty impressive.

OP
OP
K

kls

An average worker in the US works 2000 hours per year. If a diesel engine runs 6000 hours as an average thats like Monday - Friday running 8 hours a day for 3 years. Pretty impressive.
i went and looked at the 553 it's tires are really skinny and seem to be flush with the fenders. dosn't look as stable as other machines do you think you could put offset rims or wider tires on those rims for a better stance. For that matter do you think it makes a difference

wright const

i went and looked at the 553 it's tires are really skinny and seem to be flush with the fenders. dosn't look as stable as other machines do you think you could put offset rims or wider tires on those rims for a better stance. For that matter do you think it makes a difference
I would go for the 753 and try to deal with the seller, like offer them $8900 and buy a used glass kit and heater ,Also cash works well if can . I buy repo machines with less hrs and clean and fix whatever needs to be fixed and sell them for a little more than what there asking for those machines . Is there a limited amount of bobcats up there that's driving the cost up for a 2000 753 with over 3000 hrs . Ask around some banks about a repo you will be surprised .

Latest posts