What motor comes in a 2004 CAT 287 and what will fit?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmb7684

I have maybe found a good deal on a 2004 Cat 287. It is not a 287b or c or anything jut a plain old 287. The motor in it locked up and the guy removed it. So it is the whole thing minus the motor. Anyone know anything about these machinesas far as pros and cons? What motor came in them and what others may fit or better to go with? Anyone have a used motor in good shape?

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

Is has 200 hours on it. Anyone know running what this thing sells for on average?

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

Is has 200 hours on it. Anyone know running what this thing sells for on average?
It appear that it is a cat 30304t that comes standard in that machine. So if anyone knows anything about it or has one let me know. Also if another motor would work that would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
It appear that it is a cat 30304t that comes standard in that machine. So if anyone knows anything about it or has one let me know. Also if another motor would work that would be great.
Any other engine if similar size and the same bell housing size would work. There may be a few modifications you will need to do, but anything is possible.
Just be careful with how much you want to spend, sure, it has very few hours, but if you had to buy a brand new engine, you would probably be up for at least 12k. Just keep that in the back of your head, it wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and get a proper price so you have an option. You can also use that to get a better deal on the machine as an engine will cost you X amount.
Good luck in your search.

cgustafs

I have an engine from 287b a 3044.

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

I have an engine from 287b a 3044.
cgustafs, I have not yet heard back from the guy so maybe he is backing out. Needless to say I have been running busy also and have a few projects to finsih up before I would space to put it. I plan to follow up with him in the next few days about the deal. Do you still have the motor? Are you looking to sell it? How many hours does it have and where is it located? Most importantly how much?

cgustafs

cgustafs, I have not yet heard back from the guy so maybe he is backing out. Needless to say I have been running busy also and have a few projects to finsih up before I would space to put it. I plan to follow up with him in the next few days about the deal. Do you still have the motor? Are you looking to sell it? How many hours does it have and where is it located? Most importantly how much?
Sorry for delayed reply, been busy spring. I have found machine for motor