What is acceptable compression on 743B with Kubota V1702?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jim743

I have a blown head gasket on a recently rebuilt V1702 ( 200 hours ). Machine had come back to me with white smoke. Started to trouble shoot problem and had found #2 cylinder running cooler than the rest. And noticed excessive crankcase smoke. Turned engine off and was deciding to remove injector as suspected over fueling. Upon trying to restart engine after lunch, found engine hydraulic locked, with coolant. Suspect that engine had been smoking for a while as there had been very little coolant in the engine. My next concern was that the block had been overheated. I did a compression test on the engine COLD. Cylinder #1 = 265 PSI , #3 = 240 PSI & #4 = 260 PSI. Upon removing cylinder head, cylinder walls are looking questionable. And debating on re-ringing engine. Does this compression reading indicate to re-ring? I had originally purchased a rebuild kit from Kumar Bros. I had recently contacted a Kubota dealer for a head gasket. He had also quoted me on a head gasket shim. Which he tells me is required. There had been no shim when originally taken apart. And no shim supplied in the Kumar kit. So had reassembled without. Is this shim necessary? Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the Kumar products? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
That compression is very low, it should be 427 - 469 psi.
The shim is needed if the piston to head height is too low from when the top of the block is machined. You can measure this clearance by putting a small piece of lead solder in the cylinder, put the head and gasket on and cranking it over by hand, you then measure the thickness of the solder.
Have a look at this: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Kubota/Untitled4.jpg