what business can I go into with a Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

donald73d

I am semi-retired from IBM and considering going into some kind of light excavation business using my Bobcat. I have a trailer and a truck to pull it. I realize I need to get more attachments but am not sure which ones would make the most sense to start. I want the Bobcat to be the core of my business and would not want to be a general landscaper for example and only use the Bobcat once and awhile. With a dozer blade I could grade, a harley rake and roller I could do dirt driveways, and with a rock hound I could do lawn prep. Cannot afford many attachments right now, maybe just 2. So what attachments to start and what specialization to consider.

jerry

First get the liability insurance then a magnetic sign for the truck, if your area is like it is here people will hire first, and pay more for the professional appearance. A lot of this has been covered in the business section here.

Tigerhaze

Your Bobcat likely came with a general purpose bucket. The nice thing about Bobcats (assuming it is large enough from a tipping weight and hydraulic pump capacity to run the attachments you mentioned) is that you can rent attachments as needed and pass the cost along to the customer until you figure out which ones you use the most. Then you can purchase what you use the most and rent the other attachments you use infrequently.

jkwilson

I know a guy who does really well with a drain camera, a commercial power drain auger and a Bobcat with a backhoe attachment. He fixes a lot of cracked drainage and sewer lines. The skid and hoe is small enough he can haul it with him even if he doesn't know if he needs it or not. The camera lets him dig near the exact spot and keeps him from having to destroy people's yards, which makes them happy. He also subs for a bigger operation that does septic systems when they need a camera.