what are your thoughts on this bobcat 600

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

what have i done

I am thinking about this Bobcat 600 on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...53177&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1 It's been repainted and looks nice at first then I noticed the engine spark plugs/wires, cylinders also got oversprayed. It is listed as running rough. Should I run away from this or do you think new plugs, wires will get it running decent? When I go look at it what kind of things should I be looking for? any thoughts comments very appreciated

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Well the link didnt post like I had hoped. If you go to ebay the item # is 170580053177 are the 600's fairly dependable machines? what area's typically need attention?

skidsteer.ca

Well the link didnt post like I had hoped. If you go to ebay the item # is 170580053177 are the 600's fairly dependable machines? what area's typically need attention?
Personally I would spend more and least go for something more like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobcat-753-Skid...806?pt=Skid_Steel_Loaders&hash=item25600207fe
I believe the 600 were good machines for their day, but they are getting old. Unless you can find one without 5000 plus hours on them as many are getting pretty well worn at this point. I would skip the fresh paint and look for something unpainted, so you can see how hard it was used. Instead look for new parts or as the 2600 hr example above a machine that even though its older should still have good life left in it and likely has only had tires battery and maybe a muffler changed.
The roll over structure may save your life or that of someone you love, which in itself would be well worth the difference.
There are several guys with 600's and 610's on this board and I'm sure some of them will chime in on what you should be looking for on that machine.
Have a great day
\Ken

Hotrod1830

Newly painted machines for sale make me nervous. Problem is, the "runs rough" could be anything from a bad spark plug, to a dead cylinder with low compression. I recently had a chance to buy a case skid steer with the same engine as that bobcat has(wisconsin), Long story short, it didnt run right and I walked away. Turns out it had a dead cylinder(scored piston and jug)and the new owner is still trying to find parts to fix it cheaply. Keep in mind these machines are getting old and parts are getting hard to find as they are absolete. You are taking a chance on ANY used machine you buy. If the price is right, take a compression gauge with you. get a compression reading on all cylinders. If they are all good, put the plugs in and use the machine onsight untill it is up to temp. use all functions on the machine and make sure everything works. Only take delivery if you feel it is a solid machine. If the seller wont allow this, walk away and find a different machine.

Hotrod1830

Newly painted machines for sale make me nervous. Problem is, the "runs rough" could be anything from a bad spark plug, to a dead cylinder with low compression. I recently had a chance to buy a case skid steer with the same engine as that bobcat has(wisconsin), Long story short, it didnt run right and I walked away. Turns out it had a dead cylinder(scored piston and jug)and the new owner is still trying to find parts to fix it cheaply. Keep in mind these machines are getting old and parts are getting hard to find as they are absolete. You are taking a chance on ANY used machine you buy. If the price is right, take a compression gauge with you. get a compression reading on all cylinders. If they are all good, put the plugs in and use the machine onsight untill it is up to temp. use all functions on the machine and make sure everything works. Only take delivery if you feel it is a solid machine. If the seller wont allow this, walk away and find a different machine.
Edit: I just re read what "skidsteer.ca" wrote about the lack of rollover protection. And had to go check the link. Skid steers without a rops are a bad idea. Ill put it this way. If mine didnt have a cage on it, I wouldnt be writing this right now. If you dont roll it over, you could still possibly have a 1000lbs of who knows what in your lap. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
W

what have i done

Edit: I just re read what "skidsteer.ca" wrote about the lack of rollover protection. And had to go check the link. Skid steers without a rops are a bad idea. Ill put it this way. If mine didnt have a cage on it, I wouldnt be writing this right now. If you dont roll it over, you could still possibly have a 1000lbs of who knows what in your lap. Just something to think about.
Good suggestions guys. I would definately find a ROPS for it or have one fabricated. just for peace of mind. My current Gehl 2500 has a hole in the mesh screening on its ROPS. It happened before I owned it but I can only imagine what punched through it and what would of been the outcome had there not been some protection there. The seller is willing to take $3000 for it. I am thinking about taking a ride to look at it this weekend. It is a wisconsin 25 hp. what should the compression be on the cyclinders? I should probably wait and find a machine like was suggested. I am just too cheap :) thanks again for the suggestions

OldMachinist

Good suggestions guys. I would definately find a ROPS for it or have one fabricated. just for peace of mind. My current Gehl 2500 has a hole in the mesh screening on its ROPS. It happened before I owned it but I can only imagine what punched through it and what would of been the outcome had there not been some protection there. The seller is willing to take $3000 for it. I am thinking about taking a ride to look at it this weekend. It is a wisconsin 25 hp. what should the compression be on the cyclinders? I should probably wait and find a machine like was suggested. I am just too cheap :) thanks again for the suggestions
Normal compression on a 4 cycle gasoline engine should be between 125psi to 160psi. Check for differences betwen the cylinders and then put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinders and check again. If the compression doesn't go up on a cylinder with the oil then it has a valve problem, blown head gasket or cracked head.

jerry

Normal compression on a 4 cycle gasoline engine should be between 125psi to 160psi. Check for differences betwen the cylinders and then put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinders and check again. If the compression doesn't go up on a cylinder with the oil then it has a valve problem, blown head gasket or cracked head.
If you pay 3000 for it and have a cage made for it along with miscellaneous things to make it run right you may be up between 4 and 5 thousand. Parts for skidsteers are not cheap and that one is no exception. I had a 610 then a 632 no comparison between clutch drive and hydrostatic. Look around a lot more and drive as many as possible, I don't think the 600 without a cage and running poorly is worth anywhere close to 3000 but thats just a opinion.

hilljacknm

If you pay 3000 for it and have a cage made for it along with miscellaneous things to make it run right you may be up between 4 and 5 thousand. Parts for skidsteers are not cheap and that one is no exception. I had a 610 then a 632 no comparison between clutch drive and hydrostatic. Look around a lot more and drive as many as possible, I don't think the 600 without a cage and running poorly is worth anywhere close to 3000 but thats just a opinion.
I'm still running a 610. They are good machines, but old. Missing ROPS, would be a big reason not to get this one. If you can build one or know someone who can, that may make it better. Figure out how much it would cost to build one, and take that off the price of the Bobcat. The ad says: runs strong but a little rough. Running strong is good, a little rough could be a few things. Plugs/wires, points, cap/rotor, crappy fuel, trash in the carb, ect. Had most of these issues with mine, when I got it. It runs good now.

RickS250

I'm still running a 610. They are good machines, but old. Missing ROPS, would be a big reason not to get this one. If you can build one or know someone who can, that may make it better. Figure out how much it would cost to build one, and take that off the price of the Bobcat. The ad says: runs strong but a little rough. Running strong is good, a little rough could be a few things. Plugs/wires, points, cap/rotor, crappy fuel, trash in the carb, ect. Had most of these issues with mine, when I got it. It runs good now.
I ran my 610 for 15 years and like everyone said the ROPS is a must! I never had anything trying to sit in my lap but I had many thing smack the cage. On the running rough, if it sits outside there could be water in the cap. A tune-up could take care of the rough running very easy.. The 610 is a very good machine, they are narrow and can get in buildings easier because of that but mine was taller then my S250 I have now so keep that in mind also. In my area(NW IOWA) the 610's are ideal for cleaning out hog buildings and there are allot of them still being use WITH OUT the ROPS or cut off shorter to fit in the buildings. I wish I wouldn't of sold mine!

buckshot

I have owned a 610 since 1990. When I bought it I knew it needed the engine gone through, hyd rebuilt and a lot of other things that had been let go for some time. I planned to keep the old machine for a long time, made a bunch of attachments and have just rebuilt the old VH4D for the second time in 21 years. I am also looking for kits to rebuild the three control valves for the second time in that many years. If you have the shop, tools, welder and know-how an old machine like the 610 and the repair manuals could be a good deal. Purchase price and the costs of all the repairs by Bobcat can reach the price of a newer (less hours )machine that you can get your money back out of if your thinking of doing a job and then selling the machine. By all means don't have a skid steer with out ROPS!!! There's no time to rethink this choice when the machine is on top of you or someone you love!!! Have fun, buckshot