What are foam filled tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

little_fellow

What are foam filled tires , are they just regular skidsteer tires that your local tire repair man fills with foam ?

TriHonu

Short answer "Yes".
No more flats. However, you will have to replace both the tires and rims when the tires wear out. I have not heard of anyone that can remove the tires without destroying the rims.

skidsteer.ca

Short answer "Yes".
No more flats. However, you will have to replace both the tires and rims when the tires wear out. I have not heard of anyone that can remove the tires without destroying the rims.
I have heard of cutting the tires off with a sawzall, but it might be more labour then the wheel is worth.
They can be recapped if your casings are good.
Also a 10 by 16.5 gains about 150 lbs of weight when foam filled. You would want to do this to new tires as the cost exceeds the price of the new tires, and most tire shops would need to send them out to somewhere that does foam filling.
Ken

jerry

I have heard of cutting the tires off with a sawzall, but it might be more labour then the wheel is worth.
They can be recapped if your casings are good.
Also a 10 by 16.5 gains about 150 lbs of weight when foam filled. You would want to do this to new tires as the cost exceeds the price of the new tires, and most tire shops would need to send them out to somewhere that does foam filling.
Ken
The first bobcat I had came with them on and worn out. I took them off with a saws all, it is not like styrofoam or such , it is a heavy dense rubber foam that sets up almost solid in the tire. I was lucky to find a way of disposing of the foam without much cost at a tire supply. Was able to reuse the rims though.

TriHonu

The first bobcat I had came with them on and worn out. I took them off with a saws all, it is not like styrofoam or such , it is a heavy dense rubber foam that sets up almost solid in the tire. I was lucky to find a way of disposing of the foam without much cost at a tire supply. Was able to reuse the rims though.
Jerry, how long did it take to remove one tire?
Did you cut it once and pry it off the rim or did you have to cut it into a bunch of sections?
What did you use for lube to keep the blade from sticking or over-heating?
How did you cut through the bead with out damaging the rim?

jerry

Jerry, how long did it take to remove one tire?
Did you cut it once and pry it off the rim or did you have to cut it into a bunch of sections?
What did you use for lube to keep the blade from sticking or over-heating?
How did you cut through the bead with out damaging the rim?
It took enough time to cut them off and clean the rims that I would tend to agree with skidsteerca if you have better things to do, buy new rims. I had to make multiple cuts and I think I used lathe coolant on the saw as I had quite a bit of used stuff. The foam comes off pretty clean from rims, was not bonded to it or the inside of the tire much if at all. had to wire brush the bead area. This is a few years ago but I may have cut the tire body and foam away and left just the bead area in a section so the bead could be pushed in away from the rim to cut it. The foam in there was incredibly dense and heavy, It was one those jobs you do when you are cheap and don't know any better, but it took about a week of spare time and I saved $400.

TriHonu

It took enough time to cut them off and clean the rims that I would tend to agree with skidsteerca if you have better things to do, buy new rims. I had to make multiple cuts and I think I used lathe coolant on the saw as I had quite a bit of used stuff. The foam comes off pretty clean from rims, was not bonded to it or the inside of the tire much if at all. had to wire brush the bead area. This is a few years ago but I may have cut the tire body and foam away and left just the bead area in a section so the bead could be pushed in away from the rim to cut it. The foam in there was incredibly dense and heavy, It was one those jobs you do when you are cheap and don't know any better, but it took about a week of spare time and I saved $400.
Jerry, I understand having more time than money, but after the first tire I don't know that I would have continued.
emotion-8.gif
I've spent some time with a Sawzall and don't want to think about fighting one for hours much less days. Kudos for seeing it through.
I wonder if a metal cutting vertical band saw would have enough power to make the cut around the rim?

gtstang462002

Jerry, I understand having more time than money, but after the first tire I don't know that I would have continued. I've spent some time with a Sawzall and don't want to think about fighting one for hours much less days. Kudos for seeing it through.
I wonder if a metal cutting vertical band saw would have enough power to make the cut around the rim?
The local landscaping company that I maintain his equipment got away from foam filling his tires all together. He tells me that there is no differance in traction, yet when his guys rip the tread off the tire they just keep going till there is nothing left of the tire, foam and rim. He found that it was cheaper to buy just the tire and let them destroy that, once it is flat they stop using the machine till a new tire is installed. At least this way he doesn't have a pile of destroyed rims laying around. Plus the added savings of not foam filling the tires or having it cut out for the rim that is salvagable by the time his guys say something to me about it being messed up. I personally feel that if you are the owner/operator of the equipment it is a good investment, but if you have guys that jump in and tear it up save your money for tires that you are going to need anyhow.

jerry

The local landscaping company that I maintain his equipment got away from foam filling his tires all together. He tells me that there is no differance in traction, yet when his guys rip the tread off the tire they just keep going till there is nothing left of the tire, foam and rim. He found that it was cheaper to buy just the tire and let them destroy that, once it is flat they stop using the machine till a new tire is installed. At least this way he doesn't have a pile of destroyed rims laying around. Plus the added savings of not foam filling the tires or having it cut out for the rim that is salvagable by the time his guys say something to me about it being messed up. I personally feel that if you are the owner/operator of the equipment it is a good investment, but if you have guys that jump in and tear it up save your money for tires that you are going to need anyhow.
Employees like that are what led to most of the automatic shutdown systems on the newer machines. A owner/operator knows the machine and a gauge or light is all they need to monitor it but with employees that will run a ruined tire a idiot light means nothing.

skidsteer.ca

Employees like that are what led to most of the automatic shutdown systems on the newer machines. A owner/operator knows the machine and a gauge or light is all they need to monitor it but with employees that will run a ruined tire a idiot light means nothing.
I have been happy with the foam filled tire that came on my 773. I have used it @ a 1000 hours now without any flats of course and the best part is they still have @30% tread and good casings. They nust have saved me from a few small puncters by now. Which means removing and installing a ott most days.
But they are heavy, which is good or bad depending on your situation. I believ e the only benifit to traction is the little bit from the increased weight and only when you are on a firm surface. If you short on floatation they are just more dead weight in that situation.
I hope by the time they are wore out the casings are still good for another round. Overall they are a plus to me.
I have had customers tear casing open on a couple air filled tires over the years though and foam filling is no protection against that. I credit ott tracks for saving my tires from alot of wear and possible damage.
Ken