Welding

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1gr8bldr

My spout came off my muffler. The muffler seems to be in good shape so I prefer to weld the spout back on and get another year or two from it. I am not a trained welder so my question is... can I weld on the machine, the muffler, with no problems to the electronics/electrical system?

OldMachinist

Disconnect and isolate the battery cables and you should be okay welding on the muffler.

OldMachinist

Do both be safe
Some people just disconnect the positive cable but I was taught to remove both. Most times if the battery is anywhere near where I'm welding I remove the battery completely. Doesn't take much to set off any hydrogen gas that batteries make.
 photo hindenburg_zpse3ea677e.jpg

This battery was 2 feet away from the guy welding when it went boom. Just took 1 little piece of hot spatter to land on it.
 photo battery_boom_zps29c9f6fe.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
Some people just disconnect the positive cable but I was taught to remove both. Most times if the battery is anywhere near where I'm welding I remove the battery completely. Doesn't take much to set off any hydrogen gas that batteries make.

This battery was 2 feet away from the guy welding when it went boom. Just took 1 little piece of hot spatter to land on it.
Does it make me a bad person that as soon as i saw the hindenburg i giggled as i knew you were referring to the fact the battery could explode? and not thinking about the fact lots of people died.
Having a battery explode must have been a one in a million, there needed to be just enough oxygen mixed with the hydrogen to explode.
You don't need to remove both cables, only one to break the circuit. I made the mistake of forgetting to disconnect a terminal and welding once, it took out the voltage regulator in the alternator.

craigb93

Does it make me a bad person that as soon as i saw the hindenburg i giggled as i knew you were referring to the fact the battery could explode? and not thinking about the fact lots of people died.
Having a battery explode must have been a one in a million, there needed to be just enough oxygen mixed with the hydrogen to explode.
You don't need to remove both cables, only one to break the circuit. I made the mistake of forgetting to disconnect a terminal and welding once, it took out the voltage regulator in the alternator.
I have to back OM up 100%. Take off Neg first always THEN Positive. For welding take battery out and away from machine. I have seen the results of probably 10 battery explosions. Acid rains everywhere. The most embarrassing one I recall was rescuing my Dad from the liquor store parking lot after someone was trying to kindly give him a jump and the whole top blew off his battery.

Tazza

Staff member
I have to back OM up 100%. Take off Neg first always THEN Positive. For welding take battery out and away from machine. I have seen the results of probably 10 battery explosions. Acid rains everywhere. The most embarrassing one I recall was rescuing my Dad from the liquor store parking lot after someone was trying to kindly give him a jump and the whole top blew off his battery.
I have never seen a battery explode, hopefully i mever will.

Latest posts