Weight ratings by looking?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

coreya3212

I buy lots of used stuff cause I hate paying tax. I always have the same problem. Trailer axles. Is there any way to determine the load rating by looking at them? Same with a trailer hitch reciever, like mounted on a truck. If there is no stamp, and the stickers are worn off, is there any way to tell what class and weight rating they are? ANyone who can shed some light, thanks in advance.

skidsteer.ca

Tax, you don't know what tax is,come on down to Ontario and we will charge you another 8% on top of the 5 your already paying, all in the name of political stupidy!
The receivers, I have no idea unless you can find a part number stamped in them somewhere.
Axels it would be best to go by bearing sizes, but lugs can give a indication. 4 lugs are usually 2000 lb, and would have 7" brake drums if fitted with brakes, but have a option for 5 studs on the same axel
3500 are usually 5 lug but have a option for 6, but use a 10" brake drum
5200 and 6000 lb have 12" brakes and are usually 6 lug, but can be 8 lug also or house trailer style.
7000 lb axels are 8 lugs but still use 12" brakes.
This is generally, but they may be exceptions.
You can compare the parts here http://www.rigidhitch.com/ to get a feel for what goes with which size. If there is somthing specific that you want a new one of I may be able help you find one.
Ken

Mr_C

Tax, you don't know what tax is,come on down to Ontario and we will charge you another 8% on top of the 5 your already paying, all in the name of political stupidy!
The receivers, I have no idea unless you can find a part number stamped in them somewhere.
Axels it would be best to go by bearing sizes, but lugs can give a indication. 4 lugs are usually 2000 lb, and would have 7" brake drums if fitted with brakes, but have a option for 5 studs on the same axel
3500 are usually 5 lug but have a option for 6, but use a 10" brake drum
5200 and 6000 lb have 12" brakes and are usually 6 lug, but can be 8 lug also or house trailer style.
7000 lb axels are 8 lugs but still use 12" brakes.
This is generally, but they may be exceptions.
You can compare the parts here http://www.rigidhitch.com/ to get a feel for what goes with which size. If there is somthing specific that you want a new one of I may be able help you find one.
Ken
That's great info, I have had similar problems, so this will come in handy THANKS! -Mr_C

OP
OP
C

coreya3212

That's great info, I have had similar problems, so this will come in handy THANKS! -Mr_C
Not bad Ken. Thanks. Those are good tips to give a fairly solid idea. I thought maybe an axle diameter or something might be a dead giveaway.