Water in chain case 453

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mrmike

Hi I was checking the chain case level , once I removed the drain plug I was shocked to see loads of brown water flow out for 30 seconds, I drained all the remaining sludge out of the case , and filled it back up with ATF I hope this might help clean up the mess I have myself in , the machine runs great I just bought it Does any one have a better way of cleaning this up. Thanks Mike. 1999 453 Ps what is the proper fluid for the chain case

SkidRoe

If you are seriously concerned, pull the top cover off and have a look inside. It is likely a leak in the cover seal that let the water in there in the first place, so re sealing it would not be a bad thing. As far a proper oil goes, just about any thing will do. I prefer motor oil, as the detergents will tend to soak up some of the water that does get in over time. ATF is not a bad choice either, it is a high detergent oil, but is usually a little more pricey. To keep things simple, I use 10w30 in everything (mine has a gas engine). HTH.

OldMachinist

If you are seriously concerned, pull the top cover off and have a look inside. It is likely a leak in the cover seal that let the water in there in the first place, so re sealing it would not be a bad thing. As far a proper oil goes, just about any thing will do. I prefer motor oil, as the detergents will tend to soak up some of the water that does get in over time. ATF is not a bad choice either, it is a high detergent oil, but is usually a little more pricey. To keep things simple, I use 10w30 in everything (mine has a gas engine). HTH.
Water in the chaincase is a very common problem. The bolts that hold the covers on come loose or have stripped threads because the metal is only 3/16" thick. Here how I repaired mine.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=45037

OP
OP
M

Mrmike

Water in the chaincase is a very common problem. The bolts that hold the covers on come loose or have stripped threads because the metal is only 3/16" thick. Here how I repaired mine.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=45037
Thanks very much for suggestions I was thinking a very rusted mess in there ,I will re seal the excess cover and re flush after a while Mike

OP
OP
M

Mrmike

Hi can you offer any tip on a supply and return line tie in on my 3 cyl diesel for a aux cab heater that I need to install thank Mike

mahans7

Hi can you offer any tip on a supply and return line tie in on my 3 cyl diesel for a aux cab heater that I need to install thank Mike
Wow OM another extremely clever solution to another BC problem. I'm still in the engine bay on my 743 and am working my way forward and will hopefully arrive at the chaincase someday soon. Thanks.