Want to pull cars

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vic3500

Hello, just curious if anyone can point me to an attachment that will allow me to move scrap cars that have wheels, but won't start. Damage to vehicle is irrelevant. I was thinking something similar to forks with a couple of small spikes to hang on to the lip of the front or rear bumper once your under. Any ideas ?

SkidRoe

I don't know what your budget is, or how much you appetite for destruction is, but If you are in the scrap business, I would be thinking some sort of grapple. They are just too handy for moving big ungainly things around. Now it would definitely hang a number on a hood or a trunk lid when you grab a hold of a car.... as long as you are okay with that....

OP
OP
V

vic3500

I don't know what your budget is, or how much you appetite for destruction is, but If you are in the scrap business, I would be thinking some sort of grapple. They are just too handy for moving big ungainly things around. Now it would definitely hang a number on a hood or a trunk lid when you grab a hold of a car.... as long as you are okay with that....
Thx Roe. Tried an old grapple, with mixed results. Part of the downside to the grapple is I have to switch buckets, and hook up hoses. I need something for occasional use, prob not hydraulic. I kinda was thinking of maybe modding my trailer hitch attachment and just having a 6-8 inch spike that I could thread on instead of the ball. Most of these cars roll freely, so it would be a quick pull around the yard? Any feedback, or does this already exist?

SkidRoe

Thx Roe. Tried an old grapple, with mixed results. Part of the downside to the grapple is I have to switch buckets, and hook up hoses. I need something for occasional use, prob not hydraulic. I kinda was thinking of maybe modding my trailer hitch attachment and just having a 6-8 inch spike that I could thread on instead of the ball. Most of these cars roll freely, so it would be a quick pull around the yard? Any feedback, or does this already exist?
I take it that the forks are the attachment of choice in the yard? I have seen lots of guys pop a hole in the end of one tine to use it as an impromptu trailer hitch. Maybe do that, and screw in a ball or a spike or even just a big bolt. That should give you something you can hook cars with, without affecting your forks too much. Thoughts?

OP
OP
V

vic3500

I take it that the forks are the attachment of choice in the yard? I have seen lots of guys pop a hole in the end of one tine to use it as an impromptu trailer hitch. Maybe do that, and screw in a ball or a spike or even just a big bolt. That should give you something you can hook cars with, without affecting your forks too much. Thoughts?
Yup that's starting to sound like the best idea. I've tried the ball before and just the forks, but they tend to slip off. Maybe a large bolt, hadn't thought of that. I don't have far to pull the car, just rearranging a bit. Thx

flyerdan

Yup that's starting to sound like the best idea. I've tried the ball before and just the forks, but they tend to slip off. Maybe a large bolt, hadn't thought of that. I don't have far to pull the car, just rearranging a bit. Thx
I made a cradle out of a piece of flat stock with some smaller sides, about the size of a 6"x1.25" channel. Welded the threaded part of a large bolt to the bottom so it fits in the hole of the fork like a trailer ball. That lets me get under a bumper or frame rail without it slipping off either forward or back, and the sides are shallow enough that it doesn't do much damage, as that was a factor for me.

OP
OP
V

vic3500

I made a cradle out of a piece of flat stock with some smaller sides, about the size of a 6"x1.25" channel. Welded the threaded part of a large bolt to the bottom so it fits in the hole of the fork like a trailer ball. That lets me get under a bumper or frame rail without it slipping off either forward or back, and the sides are shallow enough that it doesn't do much damage, as that was a factor for me.
Nice! Any pics?

Latest posts