Vibratory smoothe roller compactor versus smoothe plate compactor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmb7684

I have been looking at 2 attachments (both used) and about the same money. It comes down to which one will best fit my needs.

I am doing work in South Louisiana. The material I am compacting will be mostly clay or a sand clay mix. Closer to New Orleans the dirt is a black clumpy wet clay. North of New Orleans you get more of the Red Clay.

The problem in Louisiana in New Orleans more so than North of New Orleans is the area was built on swamp land. Here we push pilings to build slab houses on and these piling can range from an average of 20 feet down and in some areas as much as 60', 90' and 120' and you still do not hit refusal you only get enough friction holding the pile that engineers say it can support its pre determined load.
Back to the point, laying concrete in this area can be tricky with an ever sinking ground especially as weight is added.
I am looking to compact clay or clay/sand mix as I lay it down. In the end I plant to put some crushed stone down and compact it to make a road base to pour on top of.
I know I flat plate walk behind compactor is ideal for getting into tight places around a house and I will purchase one for that application. However when I am doing areas that are larger for driveways and sidewalks where I have the room to work or even just general compaction to build up a grade where it doesn't sink so fast, what is compactor is best to use?

I am talking about an attachment for a skidsteer not a mini excavator. I am looking at a 48" vibratory roller compactor made by Bobcat and a 72" flat plate compactor made by CONEQTEC DC8000.

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

Which one would work best for compacting driveways and sidewalks areas and why? I read some say that flat plate's are better to lay stones or pavers because it lays flat against the flate paver surface and compacts all together in for a tight fit. With that said, maybe so but that is not what I am trying to do. So I wanted to get some feed back from all of you.

TriHonu

Which one would work best for compacting driveways and sidewalks areas and why? I read some say that flat plate's are better to lay stones or pavers because it lays flat against the flate paver surface and compacts all together in for a tight fit. With that said, maybe so but that is not what I am trying to do. So I wanted to get some feed back from all of you.
While I am not an expert on compaction, I will point you in the right direction.
Vibratory plates are primarily used for granular soils. They "compact" these soils by vibrating the grains to rearrange them. Smaller particles will move into the spaces between the larger particles thus displacing air and increasing the density. They are not recommended for cohesive soils (clay and silt).
Vibratory plates for skidsteers will normally have a width wider than the loader. Even when used on granular soils, they require significant force to move them while compacting. They work much better on tracked loaders which can provide enough tracktive force to move them without digging into the grade.
Clay and silt soils have very small particle sizes. These particles tend to slide past one another, especially if there is any moisture present. To densify these soils, normally you must use impact, pressure or kneading with pressure. This equates to rammers or low frequency sheepsfoot rollers.
I know the early version of Bobcat's Rollers where a sheepsfoot drum that you could bolt a smooth drum shell over the sheepsfoot drum. I have never run one. When talking to others who have run them, they got marginal reviews. Basically, "If that's all you can afford, go for it." Carefully inspect the drum carrier bearings as they are a weak point on the attachment. Every used one I looked at needed bearings. Also note that the drum can not be run flush to walls or anything above grade since the drum supports are wider than the drum.
Even with a sheepsfoot attachment you still have to move it across the pad. I don't know of any that have power to turn the drum. The loader will have to be able to move itself and drag the attachment without tearing up the pad.
What was recommended were walk-behind double drum vibratory sheepsfoot rollers. RAMMAX makes a quality unit. They will cost more than any attachment due to having their own engine and hydraulic and hydrostatic systems.
I would recommend speaking to excavation reps or rental yards in your area. Then rent and test before buying.

Tazza

Staff member
While I am not an expert on compaction, I will point you in the right direction.
Vibratory plates are primarily used for granular soils. They "compact" these soils by vibrating the grains to rearrange them. Smaller particles will move into the spaces between the larger particles thus displacing air and increasing the density. They are not recommended for cohesive soils (clay and silt).
Vibratory plates for skidsteers will normally have a width wider than the loader. Even when used on granular soils, they require significant force to move them while compacting. They work much better on tracked loaders which can provide enough tracktive force to move them without digging into the grade.
Clay and silt soils have very small particle sizes. These particles tend to slide past one another, especially if there is any moisture present. To densify these soils, normally you must use impact, pressure or kneading with pressure. This equates to rammers or low frequency sheepsfoot rollers.
I know the early version of Bobcat's Rollers where a sheepsfoot drum that you could bolt a smooth drum shell over the sheepsfoot drum. I have never run one. When talking to others who have run them, they got marginal reviews. Basically, "If that's all you can afford, go for it." Carefully inspect the drum carrier bearings as they are a weak point on the attachment. Every used one I looked at needed bearings. Also note that the drum can not be run flush to walls or anything above grade since the drum supports are wider than the drum.
Even with a sheepsfoot attachment you still have to move it across the pad. I don't know of any that have power to turn the drum. The loader will have to be able to move itself and drag the attachment without tearing up the pad.
What was recommended were walk-behind double drum vibratory sheepsfoot rollers. RAMMAX makes a quality unit. They will cost more than any attachment due to having their own engine and hydraulic and hydrostatic systems.
I would recommend speaking to excavation reps or rental yards in your area. Then rent and test before buying.
I had thoughts along the same lines, if your soil is so hard stop things sinking with needing piers up to 120' or more. If you are just laying concrete slabs, can't you use what i think is a floating slab like they do in sandy soils on beaches etc?
I just wonder if either of these options would be ideal for the job you have in mind. As TriHonu said, a sheeps foot roller would do better with compaction.