Vibrating roller attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

P neck

I am looking to buy a roller attachment for our skid steers. We normally rent a 48" ride on roller and this year we spent over $5000 doing so. Asked my bobcat dealer for a price on a 73". They run around $9000. Would like to know how they work?

Tazza

Staff member
I was looking at building one of these, but the problem is weight. You really want a lot of weight on the roller to pound the road base or what not into place. There really isn't much weight up front of a skid steer, its all in its butt. The machine may weigh 2t, but only be able to exert say 200kg before the front wheels are off the ground.
If the roller attachment weighs say 1t, you will get at least that much down pressure, but not a whole lot more. Don't expect the same downward force as you would have on the ride on version. I'd hate for you to spend that much money and be disappointed.

Kermode

I was looking at building one of these, but the problem is weight. You really want a lot of weight on the roller to pound the road base or what not into place. There really isn't much weight up front of a skid steer, its all in its butt. The machine may weigh 2t, but only be able to exert say 200kg before the front wheels are off the ground.
If the roller attachment weighs say 1t, you will get at least that much down pressure, but not a whole lot more. Don't expect the same downward force as you would have on the ride on version. I'd hate for you to spend that much money and be disappointed.
I have a 48" Bobcat vibrating roller attachment. It works very well for its size but it is a high maintenance unit. If you put too much weight on it you will be replacing bearings. Bearings that are a pain in the ass to replace. The ride-on roller will no doubt have more lbs per 2q ft than the Bobcat roller.

OP
OP
P

P neck

I have a 48" Bobcat vibrating roller attachment. It works very well for its size but it is a high maintenance unit. If you put too much weight on it you will be replacing bearings. Bearings that are a pain in the ass to replace. The ride-on roller will no doubt have more lbs per 2q ft than the Bobcat roller.
I understand that it will not do as well as a rideon, I can send it with a machine and not have to make a second trip with a trailer to get roller to job sight. On road or water/sewer jobs we always have a large roller. It's the small jobs that we jump around a lot that I was thinking of. Is there a reason for bearing failure? I would have thought that it would be a low maintaince peace

skidsteer.ca

I understand that it will not do as well as a rideon, I can send it with a machine and not have to make a second trip with a trailer to get roller to job sight. On road or water/sewer jobs we always have a large roller. It's the small jobs that we jump around a lot that I was thinking of. Is there a reason for bearing failure? I would have thought that it would be a low maintaince peace
We used one from a local contracter for the slab in my shop and it did a pretty good job I though. I have had no trouble with the floor. I had a 48" dual drum ride on the time b4 and I'd say they were comparable. You had to work to kick a hole in the a gravel after.
We could save you some money on a Erskine 72" Smooth, Lists at $9400 and the padded at $10400
http://erskineattachments.com/attachments/vibratory-packer/72-inch-smooth/
Skidsteer.ca

Latest posts