Variable speed repair m610

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

McGinnis610

I recently bought a bobcat m610 and the variable speed doesn't work. When I push the lever forward it makes a loud noise and sometimes dies. I want to bypass the whole system and weld it to a fixed position. Will someone explain how I do that in detail. It's stuck in low speed and I would like to have it permanently in medium speed. I don't want to replace the shieves right now so what are my options? Thanks for any help

foton

chances are that you will not be replacing the sheaves they are no longer available from bobcat, they are cast so welding them has problems. I would try to make a spacer to collapse the sheave where you want it. I have a 500 and I hosed the two vari -speed hydros lines together so it will not dead head (if I hit the lever by mistake) . I also converted mine to chain drive my sheaves were cracked severely.

OP
OP
M

McGinnis610

chances are that you will not be replacing the sheaves they are no longer available from bobcat, they are cast so welding them has problems. I would try to make a spacer to collapse the sheave where you want it. I have a 500 and I hosed the two vari -speed hydros lines together so it will not dead head (if I hit the lever by mistake) . I also converted mine to chain drive my sheaves were cracked severely.
Foton I'm assuming you're talking about adding spacers to the drive shieve. Will I need to do anything to the driven shieve? Can u please explain how I add the spacers, im new to the variable speed system. I will call bobcat dealer today and see if they have a mechanic that can fab something up because this machine is worthless in low speed. I'm in Greensboro NC if someone is close by and can do it I will pay u. Thanks for the response

flyerdan

Foton I'm assuming you're talking about adding spacers to the drive shieve. Will I need to do anything to the driven shieve? Can u please explain how I add the spacers, im new to the variable speed system. I will call bobcat dealer today and see if they have a mechanic that can fab something up because this machine is worthless in low speed. I'm in Greensboro NC if someone is close by and can do it I will pay u. Thanks for the response
Hate to rain on your parade, but it's quite unlikely a Bobcat mechanic would bodge up something that wasn't in their parts books, just to protect the dealership. That's assuming they were even capable of it to begin with.
If you haven't already, you should check out the facebook group Melroe Bobcat Owners OA. They deal a lot with the old variable sheave machines and have lots of ideas.

foton

Hate to rain on your parade, but it's quite unlikely a Bobcat mechanic would bodge up something that wasn't in their parts books, just to protect the dealership. That's assuming they were even capable of it to begin with.
If you haven't already, you should check out the facebook group Melroe Bobcat Owners OA. They deal a lot with the old variable sheave machines and have lots of ideas.
I saw a video about making one of these fixed speed on you tube by using spacers , it has been a coupla of years, but I assume it is still there.

OP
OP
M

McGinnis610

I saw a video about making one of these fixed speed on you tube by using spacers , it has been a coupla of years, but I assume it is still there.
Yeah I seen that spacer video on YouTube with the m444. I'm not familiar with shieves or what they do so I didn't understand enough to try this myself. Im looking to pay someone to help me get it fixed.The Facebook group is a good idea. If I can't fix then I will sell this 610 for 2000 in Greensboro nc

mclaen

I would fix the variable speed. Having the option of speeding up and slowing down the ground speed may not seem like much...until you can't do it anymore. There are several problems with these drives but most can be fixed with seals, O-rings, and the bearings on the Roto-coupling. Another BIG issue with these is that the large snap ring groove at the end of the large sheave that holds the entire variable speed hydraulic mechanism in place wears out and won't hold a snap ring anymore. This was once the death sentence for that NLA sheave but there is now a simple fix for this that eliminates that snap ring/worn groove issue completely. I've got two 600 machines which are identical to the 610's except for the motor and have had to fixed the sheave on one machine but this part is still good on the other. The fix is about $100 at the machine shop and is a permanent repair that can be still taken apart if seals are needed in the future again.

jimirb1

I would fix the variable speed. Having the option of speeding up and slowing down the ground speed may not seem like much...until you can't do it anymore. There are several problems with these drives but most can be fixed with seals, O-rings, and the bearings on the Roto-coupling. Another BIG issue with these is that the large snap ring groove at the end of the large sheave that holds the entire variable speed hydraulic mechanism in place wears out and won't hold a snap ring anymore. This was once the death sentence for that NLA sheave but there is now a simple fix for this that eliminates that snap ring/worn groove issue completely. I've got two 600 machines which are identical to the 610's except for the motor and have had to fixed the sheave on one machine but this part is still good on the other. The fix is about $100 at the machine shop and is a permanent repair that can be still taken apart if seals are needed in the future again.
Hey new to the forum and read your post about the snap ring fix.i Just purchased a 610 with the speed sheave issue, snap ring wont hold up, blows out, i would appreciate the info on this fix. Thanks.

Csangster

I'm assembling my variable speed as well and would like to know what your fix is for the variable speed groove. Please advise

gearbox

I'm assembling my variable speed as well and would like to know what your fix is for the variable speed groove. Please advise
Here we go If you want to lock you driven pulley . Remove the 3/8 bolt a heavy washer . use a 3/8 all thread 5 or 6 inches long . double nut the rod at the same length as the bolt you removed screw it in and use another set of double nuts to tighten up remove the double nuts add the big washer with the big hole washer it with a 1/2 then 3/8 and put a single nut on and tighten it snug . now heres th important part turn the nut in to adjust your speed BUT only a small amount at a time then turn over the engine and do it again . If you force the adjustment you can break your drive pulley . you have damaged nothing and can go back to hydraulic at any time . I am curently running one like this .

gearbox

Here we go If you want to lock you driven pulley . Remove the 3/8 bolt a heavy washer . use a 3/8 all thread 5 or 6 inches long . double nut the rod at the same length as the bolt you removed screw it in and use another set of double nuts to tighten up remove the double nuts add the big washer with the big hole washer it with a 1/2 then 3/8 and put a single nut on and tighten it snug . now heres th important part turn the nut in to adjust your speed BUT only a small amount at a time then turn over the engine and do it again . If you force the adjustment you can break your drive pulley . you have damaged nothing and can go back to hydraulic at any time . I am curently running one like this .
THATS DRIVE PULLEY NOT DRIVEN

dfarm

Csangster

Good morning, Any chance you could enlighten us with the snap ring repair? I'm preparing to remachine the groove on mine and would like to know your fix before I go too far. Thanks Chris

dfarm

what is the repair to have done at the machine shop so I can tell them what I want done?

johnnydv8

Hello dfarm did did anyone ever come back with an answer or did you get it figured out? I happen too be dealing with the same issue on my 610