Using concrete breaker

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MNBobcat

Hi Everyone, I could use some advice. Tomorrow I'm renting a concrete breaker for my 763 Bobcat. The concrete I have to break up is a solid 3 foot wide by 3 foot wide block that extends 2 feet above grade and goes down into the ground 5 feet. I only need to break up the block to a depth of 6 inches below grade. Whats left after that can stay in the ground. I've never used a breaker. What would be the best approach? Should I try and enter the block horizontally low to the ground and break the top off and then work my way down or should I start at the top (vertically) on top of the block and break my way down? I don't know what is faster or if trying to go horizontally is not even practical. If you start working in a straight line, top down, can you get a crack going usually? I'm not sure what to expect with something this thick. Also, there is some rebar in it. When I encounter rebar, am I going to need to use a cut-off tool to cut it or can I set the breaker bit on it and break it that way? Right now I have my steel tracks on the machine. I don't need them on the machine any more. Before I take them off, would there be any benefit to having the tracks on for tomorrow or should I just go ahead and remove them today? Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!

TriHonu

Blocks with rebar can be really tough. I would start on a corner and try to break pieces off by angling the bit from the top toward one of the sides. Don't try to break too much at a time. Concrete is strong in compression. Pounding straight down on the top probably won't get a lot done in a hurry. Tracks won't be of much help, but won't hurt you either. You are supposed to have the special Lexan door on your loader when using a breaker. Pieces of broken concrete can shoot off at high velocity. You need more than a good pair of safety glasses, especially if the bit is up on a pier. Keep the bit in contact with the cement and don't "dry fire" it without the bit firmly pressed on the target.
There is another way to break up piers. Check out Dexpan . It is a product that when mixed with water expands and can create up to 18000 lbs of force. You drill holes in the pier, pour in Dexpan and wait. See page 4 in their Product Brochure for an example of a post foundation demolition.