use the skid steer, get a blade, or rent a dozer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jklingel

I have a lot of dirt to move, perhaps 1000 yrds or so. I'll be cutting into a hillside for a house site, and dumping down lower for a larger flat area, so it'll be short hauls. I was planning on using my loader w/ bucket, but a friend said a small dozer would cost me "peanuts" and do it a lot faster. "Faster" is probably true, but not having run a dozer over 3 hrs and having not run my skid steer an H of a lot, I'm wondering. I have a JD 332 w/ an 82" bucket, and I planned on cutting a trough "chute" down the middle of the area so I can dump a bucket full, get another, then push both of them down the "chute". Time is not an issue, but maybe 500-800 trips w/ the loader is a lot of time/wear. Eventually, I'll need a blade of some kind for snow, and was thinking maybe a dirt blade would be justified and used for both, esp since I really am supposed to be trying to work this machine for money when I am not building. So all that rambling to ask how well skid steers work w/ a dirt blade compared to a small dozer. Can I effectively cut ancient silt w/ a blade like a dozer, or would a blade be best off just leveling loose dirt? The driveway is also off camber, and I really should blade it some and not just level it w/ 10,000 truck loads of tailings. Thoughts? Get the dirt blade? Rent a dozer and just get a snow blade? If I need OTT tracks to be effective w/ the dirt blade, pls advise; that is another variable in the equation.... Does buying things ever end? Anyone want to buy my 20' jet boat? A dog? Thanks for opinions.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see a dozer doing it faster than a skid steer.... If the runs are short I'd still go the skid steer rout as you can do it all your self and time is not an issue, you are not pressed for time. As for wear, i can't see that being a factor either. I have personally moved more than that much dirt and over fair distances, drove me nuts taking so long but i got it done. It just uses fuel, wear i can't see being an issue.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

I can't see a dozer doing it faster than a skid steer.... If the runs are short I'd still go the skid steer rout as you can do it all your self and time is not an issue, you are not pressed for time. As for wear, i can't see that being a factor either. I have personally moved more than that much dirt and over fair distances, drove me nuts taking so long but i got it done. It just uses fuel, wear i can't see being an issue.
Taz: What do you think of a blade on a SS, in general, esp since I don't have tracks? Am I just going to be wheel spinning trying to dig ancient packed dirt w/ it?

bobcat_ron

Taz: What do you think of a blade on a SS, in general, esp since I don't have tracks? Am I just going to be wheel spinning trying to dig ancient packed dirt w/ it?
Dozer blades on skid steers, and any type of skid steer, are useless, there isn't enough weight on the front to really provide good digging. Use the bucket instead, it gives you more weight up front when it's loaded and you can keep digging and pushing in the same slot, that makes it very productive.

sp6x6

Dozer blades on skid steers, and any type of skid steer, are useless, there isn't enough weight on the front to really provide good digging. Use the bucket instead, it gives you more weight up front when it's loaded and you can keep digging and pushing in the same slot, that makes it very productive.
What size is your SS, what type of soil are you working with? I've moved that much at one site but it was piled, backfill and grade for house site. Used standard dirt bucket w/ teeth. You can blow out alot of dirt in a pile in short time if not moving far. I ha s185 which isnt that big.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

What size is your SS, what type of soil are you working with? I've moved that much at one site but it was piled, backfill and grade for house site. Used standard dirt bucket w/ teeth. You can blow out alot of dirt in a pile in short time if not moving far. I ha s185 which isnt that big.
Ron: Thanks. I was wondering about that, and your comments make sense. Dozers have some weight to them. Sp: I have a JD 332, which is as big as the biggest Bobcat; 320 or something? It is a 9500 lb machine. I'll be digging in what most of our area has: Birch Creek shist; quarts, ground up quarts w/ some clay, and often some pretty big rocks once you get down a bit. The rocky layer has been pretty tough the few times I've had to dig in it w/ a bucket; doable, but nothing as easy as the fine stuff, of course. We don't have the hard clay like Ohio where I grew up; at least it seemed awful hard when I was running a mattock and a "#2 FEL". Thanks both for the feedback. It sounds like my buckets will do, and getting a snow blade for winter will be the way to go.

sp6x6

Ron: Thanks. I was wondering about that, and your comments make sense. Dozers have some weight to them. Sp: I have a JD 332, which is as big as the biggest Bobcat; 320 or something? It is a 9500 lb machine. I'll be digging in what most of our area has: Birch Creek shist; quarts, ground up quarts w/ some clay, and often some pretty big rocks once you get down a bit. The rocky layer has been pretty tough the few times I've had to dig in it w/ a bucket; doable, but nothing as easy as the fine stuff, of course. We don't have the hard clay like Ohio where I grew up; at least it seemed awful hard when I was running a mattock and a "#2 FEL". Thanks both for the feedback. It sounds like my buckets will do, and getting a snow blade for winter will be the way to go.
My house sites on sandy loam, my Dad farmed out 10,000 of yrds of it in the for of open pit, it is a dream come true to work in it. Did all my site work, found digs, backfill, 100,s of feet of water and elec, ditches, house, shop, garage, and barn

Tazza

Staff member
My house sites on sandy loam, my Dad farmed out 10,000 of yrds of it in the for of open pit, it is a dream come true to work in it. Did all my site work, found digs, backfill, 100,s of feet of water and elec, ditches, house, shop, garage, and barn
Ron beat me to it, you don't have the weight in a skid steer to use as a dozer. It works to an extent but all the weight is in the rear which makes the blade ride up high when you try and cut, well does for me at least!

OP
OP
J

jklingel

Ron beat me to it, you don't have the weight in a skid steer to use as a dozer. It works to an extent but all the weight is in the rear which makes the blade ride up high when you try and cut, well does for me at least!
Taz: Thanks. I am getting the picture here; fergit the blade for digging dirt. I'll bucket it out till I drop then. As for leveling the driveway, I guess I'll have to just hack till I get a level spot, then try to dig till I get cockeyed, stop, re-level, etc. Glad I asked.

Tazza

Staff member
Taz: Thanks. I am getting the picture here; fergit the blade for digging dirt. I'll bucket it out till I drop then. As for leveling the driveway, I guess I'll have to just hack till I get a level spot, then try to dig till I get cockeyed, stop, re-level, etc. Glad I asked.
I'm sure other members can give you better advise for starting a grade but i do it the same way as you suggest. I don't use my machine commercially so i really don't have the experience to advise what the BEST way is I'm afraid.... I have found cutting a flat spot and working from there does work for me though. Getting it level to begin with can be a little frustrating at first though.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

I'm sure other members can give you better advise for starting a grade but i do it the same way as you suggest. I don't use my machine commercially so i really don't have the experience to advise what the BEST way is I'm afraid.... I have found cutting a flat spot and working from there does work for me though. Getting it level to begin with can be a little frustrating at first though.
Frankly, I don't think there can be a method much different than either "attack from down hill, perpendicular to the slope" or "cut and fill till flat." Once you have a level spot, work your way out. It make sense, anyway. If you are really cockeyed every way you go, I think it is mattock and shovel time till you have a pad. I am sure this is tedious, but for one driveway it is probably the most cost effective. 100', nap. Another 100', snack, then nap. Etc. Only way to go!

sp6x6

Frankly, I don't think there can be a method much different than either "attack from down hill, perpendicular to the slope" or "cut and fill till flat." Once you have a level spot, work your way out. It make sense, anyway. If you are really cockeyed every way you go, I think it is mattock and shovel time till you have a pad. I am sure this is tedious, but for one driveway it is probably the most cost effective. 100', nap. Another 100', snack, then nap. Etc. Only way to go!
For most drives you crown or straight slope one direction slightly, can also cut drain ditches, depends on how nice you want it . If it is getting asphalt you want the pitch, standing water is no good. After you prep you follow with oversized, then top with gravel, compact, roll etc. Just dive in you'll know alot more when your done.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

For most drives you crown or straight slope one direction slightly, can also cut drain ditches, depends on how nice you want it . If it is getting asphalt you want the pitch, standing water is no good. After you prep you follow with oversized, then top with gravel, compact, roll etc. Just dive in you'll know alot more when your done.
Sp: "Just dive in you'll know alot more when your done." I like that. Brute strength and gross ignorance have worked for me so far! I'll do my best to crown a little bit. Thanks. j

junkman

Sp: "Just dive in you'll know alot more when your done." I like that. Brute strength and gross ignorance have worked for me so far! I'll do my best to crown a little bit. Thanks. j
i think id just use the bucket also ,find a buddy with a tractor and scraper to help you level it out.i built my scraper out of a 3pt box blade and it works good.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

i think id just use the bucket also ,find a buddy with a tractor and scraper to help you level it out.i built my scraper out of a 3pt box blade and it works good.
Junk: Any pics? That'd be great. thanks. j

OP
OP
J

jklingel

will take pict tommorow its not fancy but it works.i will have to figure how to post a pict
Junk: Worry not about looks. "Form follows function." "I've never seen a broad who was ugly up close." Or whatever. I made a tree jack (I'm sure there's a real name for it) so I could pry trees off the ground when I cut them up. It is on its 3rd revision and part of it is a piece from some kind of exercise equipment, the rest is what I had around. It was going to be a prototype and I'd make a nice one as soon as I got the bugs worked out. I'll surely use this sucker till it falls apart; looks be damned. If you can't post pics, pls email to [email protected] Thanks. john

Earthwerks Unlimited

Junk: Worry not about looks. "Form follows function." "I've never seen a broad who was ugly up close." Or whatever. I made a tree jack (I'm sure there's a real name for it) so I could pry trees off the ground when I cut them up. It is on its 3rd revision and part of it is a piece from some kind of exercise equipment, the rest is what I had around. It was going to be a prototype and I'd make a nice one as soon as I got the bugs worked out. I'll surely use this sucker till it falls apart; looks be damned. If you can't post pics, pls email to [email protected] Thanks. john
At some point early in the dig you're going to be going downhill in a hurry. I've used a dozer many a a time, and yes, you can do it. Skid steer with tracks. I've got them and they are handy but they have half the traction and 1/3 the floatation of a dozer (mine are high floatation) Wouldn't consider a snow blade for two reasons: like was said no down pressure and it will trip. I made a nontripping snow blade (for dirt use too---wrong) and twisted it all up. It just cannot withstand all the leverage on it.
For loosening and moving large amounts of dirt like you're doing on hillside, use a backhoe to loosen it up into a pile. Position the backhoe facing downhill and pull the dirt down toward you. Use the loader bucket to doze (fully dumped position). I did this many a time before I got a skid steer.
I use my pallet forks instead of a dirt bucket to cut out massive amounts of clay when I dig a hole the size of a schoolbus or pool---it's probably twice as fast moving clay that way in big clumps.
Now, if you find the footing conditions are such you can't get good traction trying to get back up the hill, use the hoe to crab yourself back up.
You can plant the backhoe across the side hill and use the down riggers to level you out. But depending on the incline this might be risky. To overcoem this simply fully extend the hjoe up hill side as a counterbalance.

OP
OP
J

jklingel

At some point early in the dig you're going to be going downhill in a hurry. I've used a dozer many a a time, and yes, you can do it. Skid steer with tracks. I've got them and they are handy but they have half the traction and 1/3 the floatation of a dozer (mine are high floatation) Wouldn't consider a snow blade for two reasons: like was said no down pressure and it will trip. I made a nontripping snow blade (for dirt use too---wrong) and twisted it all up. It just cannot withstand all the leverage on it.
For loosening and moving large amounts of dirt like you're doing on hillside, use a backhoe to loosen it up into a pile. Position the backhoe facing downhill and pull the dirt down toward you. Use the loader bucket to doze (fully dumped position). I did this many a time before I got a skid steer.
I use my pallet forks instead of a dirt bucket to cut out massive amounts of clay when I dig a hole the size of a schoolbus or pool---it's probably twice as fast moving clay that way in big clumps.
Now, if you find the footing conditions are such you can't get good traction trying to get back up the hill, use the hoe to crab yourself back up.
You can plant the backhoe across the side hill and use the down riggers to level you out. But depending on the incline this might be risky. To overcoem this simply fully extend the hjoe up hill side as a counterbalance.
Werks: Thanks for the info. That is interesting about the forks and clay. Our dirt is fairly fine stuff, and only lumpy when it is frozen, which I'm not playing w/ anyway. I'll wait for the sun. I'll first give it a shot w/ my loader, and if that gets crappy, then I'll consider a dozer or a hoe; sounds like the hoe works well. I mentioned the snow blade, w/out saying much; I would only use it for snow, as the driveway is going to be about 500' and a dirt bucket is somewhat inefficient at moving powdery snow. j