Update on 873 blowing black smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

Well guys thanks for all your input thus far. I did pull the injectors out and had them cleaned and pressure tested at a injector shop. Everything checked out fine. So after reinstalling them and still running like crap I pulled the side cover off and looked at the turbo. Well the top hose was off. It had slipped down off the fitting. I reinstalled it and guess what. It still runds like crap. If I run it at a very slow speed it is alright but as soon as I rev it up or lug it, it will bog down to the point of almost killing. Black smoke just puring out. If I just let it sit and idle it will clean out and idle fine. Well now I am wondering if I should just have the tiing belt replaced anyways because a few here have mentioned that it should be replaced at 1000 hours. I also wonder if the turbo could have got damaged from the hose being off. The injector shop mention the fuel filter and injector pumps. Is the tiing belt hard to get at on this machine. There isn't much I won't try doing my self so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

Fishfiles

873, I am thinking duetz , are the air filters ( both of them ) clean ----------- I am guessing valve adjustment or maybe a bent push rod -------- you need a couple of tools to time the timing belt , doubt if thats the problem ---------------- running it with the air hose having been not connected to the turbo didn't do the turbo or the engine any good as dirt would have been sucked right into the engine and thru the turbo

Tazza

Staff member
873, I am thinking duetz , are the air filters ( both of them ) clean ----------- I am guessing valve adjustment or maybe a bent push rod -------- you need a couple of tools to time the timing belt , doubt if thats the problem ---------------- running it with the air hose having been not connected to the turbo didn't do the turbo or the engine any good as dirt would have been sucked right into the engine and thru the turbo
Lots of black smoke means its over fueling, if the turbo is not spooling up it will not be getting enough air for the fuel being sprayed into the cylinders. I'd suspect the turbo is not happy, as Fishfiles said, with a hose off, thats not a good thing. It could have snorted up just about anything to damage the turbo or even the cylinder walls/rings/pistons.
If the timing belt was broken it wouldn't even run at idle, it should be replaced if you are unsure when it was last done though. Every 1000 hours is the mark.

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Lots of black smoke means its over fueling, if the turbo is not spooling up it will not be getting enough air for the fuel being sprayed into the cylinders. I'd suspect the turbo is not happy, as Fishfiles said, with a hose off, thats not a good thing. It could have snorted up just about anything to damage the turbo or even the cylinder walls/rings/pistons.
If the timing belt was broken it wouldn't even run at idle, it should be replaced if you are unsure when it was last done though. Every 1000 hours is the mark.
Thanks for the replies guys.....a couple of people suggested maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth so that is why I thought maybe I should replace the belt. I will let you all know what I find out but right now I don't have the cash to even put fuel into it :(

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the replies guys.....a couple of people suggested maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth so that is why I thought maybe I should replace the belt. I will let you all know what I find out but right now I don't have the cash to even put fuel into it :(
Put a boost/vacume guage on the engine side of the turbo and see if it makes any boost.
Generally turbos that get dammaged from debris suffer bearing failure very quickly from the turbine imbalance. Then begin leaking engine oil into the suction side of the engine.
Ken

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Put a boost/vacume guage on the engine side of the turbo and see if it makes any boost.
Generally turbos that get dammaged from debris suffer bearing failure very quickly from the turbine imbalance. Then begin leaking engine oil into the suction side of the engine.
Ken
The hose that came off the turbo was the one that goes to the intake so it should have been blowing out instead of sucking in crap. Maybe I will just have the tiing belt replaced and get that out of the way. Maybe the valves need adjusting also because I think the motor was replaced around 1000 hours ago. Could I atleast get to the timing belt and get it ready for someone else to replace? I know of guy that will do it because he does this on the side besides working for bobcat fulltime. I just want to save a little labor cost if I can. Any advice on changing the belt on this 1996 873? Thanks guys

Latest posts