Trenching w/709 Backhoe Attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

What is the best size bucket for general trenching? Do you usually bid jobs, charge by the foot or what? Frost will be out of the ground soon!
Thanks,
Nels

skidsteer.ca

I have 12, 16 and 20" buckets, for the 12 our clay soils must really be dry or you spend more time cleaning out the bucket then you do using it. I would not really recomend it, maybe for sands or gravel type soils.
I can generally dig 20 to 25 ft per hour of 7' deep waterline trench with the 16". Shallow trenches say 3 to 4 feet deep 50 to 60 ft per hour.
I just charge hourly but I'm sure there is more money in piece work as most customers think it will take longer then it does.
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

I have 12, 16 and 20" buckets, for the 12 our clay soils must really be dry or you spend more time cleaning out the bucket then you do using it. I would not really recomend it, maybe for sands or gravel type soils.
I can generally dig 20 to 25 ft per hour of 7' deep waterline trench with the 16". Shallow trenches say 3 to 4 feet deep 50 to 60 ft per hour.
I just charge hourly but I'm sure there is more money in piece work as most customers think it will take longer then it does.
Ken
Thanks for the stats Ken, I will use my 20" until I get around to making a 16". Very helpful information for figuring prices.
Nels