Tree and root bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr Jimi

This is my version of my bucket, I had the steel sheared and they are very nice, here is my cut sheet They went by ( this is NOT to scale! )
Root%20and%20tree%20bucket%20Specs.jpg

The first 19" is the bucket backing plate next is 23 1/2 X 2" is the side. the other 2 17 3/4 are spare backing plates for next project. And the 16" is the bottom of bucket, and I know the backing plate is a little big, I plan on adding some hooks on top to hold tree in place, and it is 4" front to back, I will be able to dig in our Florida sand real good with this.
Thanks to the others that have helped me yoth this project

500K_773

Post pics of your finished bucket. I am looking at building another and will play with my dimensions a little. I want to try make the bottom lower than the backing plate. Maybe 8" - 12", this would make it easier to dig shallow ditches.

M700man

Post pics of your finished bucket. I am looking at building another and will play with my dimensions a little. I want to try make the bottom lower than the backing plate. Maybe 8" - 12", this would make it easier to dig shallow ditches.
Hmmm....... I know I am missing the concept here and my question is simply borne out of curosity, but why would you want a solid bottom in your bucket ? Seems to me you would just want teeth/tines so the sand/soil could filter out ? Like I said, I'm probably missing the whole idea. Help me out here guys, as both of you seem to be on the same page. Thanks, John

sterlclan

Hmmm....... I know I am missing the concept here and my question is simply borne out of curosity, but why would you want a solid bottom in your bucket ? Seems to me you would just want teeth/tines so the sand/soil could filter out ? Like I said, I'm probably missing the whole idea. Help me out here guys, as both of you seem to be on the same page. Thanks, John
by putting the solid bottom you can use it to trench as far as the dirt I roll the stump/root/stone around some and then pick it up I also may add a grapple soon Jeff

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

by putting the solid bottom you can use it to trench as far as the dirt I roll the stump/root/stone around some and then pick it up I also may add a grapple soon Jeff
I agree with ya, A grapple is a good idea. And My bucket will be 90 degrees to my backing plate? Why did you go with more angle on yours? and what does it look like after playing in the dirt after awhile, like bending etc.? My bottom will be 14 3/4 inches instead of 16 inches as planned, I want pictures! ( insert smiley face here ) And we have real soft sand here in Florida and very few rocks.
Also, when my plates got sheared? they have a very slight arch to them, that I want to get rid of before welding with a jack/ porta-power/ ratcheting load binder etc. Lets keep the ideas pouring on this!!
My next project is a serious long boom, I am thinking 26 feet from the backing plate with hopefully 200 pounds lift extended and lots more collapsed. Whats your ideas on this?
It will be 3- 10 foot pieces and 2 feet inside after the first 10 equals 26 feet plus arms and lots of height?
Jim

Eric

I agree with ya, A grapple is a good idea. And My bucket will be 90 degrees to my backing plate? Why did you go with more angle on yours? and what does it look like after playing in the dirt after awhile, like bending etc.? My bottom will be 14 3/4 inches instead of 16 inches as planned, I want pictures! ( insert smiley face here ) And we have real soft sand here in Florida and very few rocks.
Also, when my plates got sheared? they have a very slight arch to them, that I want to get rid of before welding with a jack/ porta-power/ ratcheting load binder etc. Lets keep the ideas pouring on this!!
My next project is a serious long boom, I am thinking 26 feet from the backing plate with hopefully 200 pounds lift extended and lots more collapsed. Whats your ideas on this?
It will be 3- 10 foot pieces and 2 feet inside after the first 10 equals 26 feet plus arms and lots of height?
Jim
I was at my local attachment dealer the other day and saw a root bucket similar to the one you are building. This one had a realy cool feature to it. On each side of the bucket there where like saw blade teeth cut into the bucket. About 18" worth on each edge. These where large teeth about an inch apart .So when you pull upward or backward you can cut the roots if needed. If your interested I can take a picture. I think I want to make a saw / ripping hook for my 709 backhoe attachment. It becomes very difficult sometimes to remove large tree stumps the just a 12 " bucket. Ripping large roots of a pine tree is tuff. Im talking about stumps that weigh 2 to 3 tons.

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

I was at my local attachment dealer the other day and saw a root bucket similar to the one you are building. This one had a realy cool feature to it. On each side of the bucket there where like saw blade teeth cut into the bucket. About 18" worth on each edge. These where large teeth about an inch apart .So when you pull upward or backward you can cut the roots if needed. If your interested I can take a picture. I think I want to make a saw / ripping hook for my 709 backhoe attachment. It becomes very difficult sometimes to remove large tree stumps the just a 12 " bucket. Ripping large roots of a pine tree is tuff. Im talking about stumps that weigh 2 to 3 tons.
Erik, of course we would love to see pictures, is it a gripper type of tooth or more like a saw? I have only taken out small 4 inch trees with mine and I ran out of trees but I have other lots with lots of trees, some will come out and some will get transplanted. This is my first machine like this and I am more than impressed with this Case 1845C. I wanted a Bobcat but We ended up with this and loving it more and more
Jim

sterlclan

Erik, of course we would love to see pictures, is it a gripper type of tooth or more like a saw? I have only taken out small 4 inch trees with mine and I ran out of trees but I have other lots with lots of trees, some will come out and some will get transplanted. This is my first machine like this and I am more than impressed with this Case 1845C. I wanted a Bobcat but We ended up with this and loving it more and more
Jim
I made the back angled more like a regular bucket it helps with getting stuff to stay in the bucket and when you curl it up the tip is about 20 inches off the ground a 90 may be tough to hold dirt in and if you make the bottom lower than the back youll need to angle the edge or itll dig in with the arms down as far as durabilty no trouble yet cept the welding issues that top flat needs to be solidly welded beyond the edge of the bobtach i went 4 inches beond on each side as far as the warped plates you may be better to straighten them as you weld it together. good luck

Eric

I made the back angled more like a regular bucket it helps with getting stuff to stay in the bucket and when you curl it up the tip is about 20 inches off the ground a 90 may be tough to hold dirt in and if you make the bottom lower than the back youll need to angle the edge or itll dig in with the arms down as far as durabilty no trouble yet cept the welding issues that top flat needs to be solidly welded beyond the edge of the bobtach i went 4 inches beond on each side as far as the warped plates you may be better to straighten them as you weld it together. good luck
Here are some photos of the bucket I was talking about. Note that the bottom of this bucket is not one flat piece. The last 18" or so angles slightly upward and all corners where the bucket meets the backing plate are reinforced with pieces of plate. I have never used an attachment like this but I bet they added that angle upward on the end to assist in prying up stumps!? By the way, letters stamped on the bucket are LFSB. Does anybody know who manufactured this attachment? I forgot to ask the dealer.
042206_1.jpg

pix042006_3.jpg

042206_2.jpg

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Here are some photos of the bucket I was talking about. Note that the bottom of this bucket is not one flat piece. The last 18" or so angles slightly upward and all corners where the bucket meets the backing plate are reinforced with pieces of plate. I have never used an attachment like this but I bet they added that angle upward on the end to assist in prying up stumps!? By the way, letters stamped on the bucket are LFSB. Does anybody know who manufactured this attachment? I forgot to ask the dealer.
Here are some not so good pictures, start of bucket
Start%20of%20bucket.JPG

I added this hoop to be able to move it easier
Easy%20to%20move.JPG

and here is bucket with lots more welding to do
Welded%20hoops%20on%20corners%20and%20center.JPG

The hoops om corners are for attaching tree to bucket.
And my jig for attachment plate building
Backing%20plate%20jig%20in%20use.JPG

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Here are some not so good pictures, start of bucket

I added this hoop to be able to move it easier

and here is bucket with lots more welding to do

The hoops om corners are for attaching tree to bucket.
And my jig for attachment plate building
Erik, that bucket has me jealous, I finished mine this past weekend and here are some pictures for those interested
tree%20and%20root%20bucket.JPG

Tree%20bucket%20side.JPG

diff%20angle.JPG

Please excuse the cell phone pictures, thats all I have thats easy and fast.
Now I want a grapple for this bucket
Jim

sterlclan

Erik, that bucket has me jealous, I finished mine this past weekend and here are some pictures for those interested

Please excuse the cell phone pictures, thats all I have thats easy and fast.
Now I want a grapple for this bucket
Jim
how does the bucket work? I suppose around your house teeth arent needed much, any plans for the grapple yet? Jeff

skidsteer.ca

how does the bucket work? I suppose around your house teeth arent needed much, any plans for the grapple yet? Jeff
Any thoughts on this style,
Back is open just like the front
bobcat_digger_04.jpg

I've never used either, but would be mostly interested in moving small trees.
Not sure if the tree could be removed easily enough, without tearing 1/2 the roots off.
For ditching you would not have to straddle the trench.
Would not be to hard to make out of a heavy wall pipe.
Ken

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Any thoughts on this style,
Back is open just like the front
I've never used either, but would be mostly interested in moving small trees.
Not sure if the tree could be removed easily enough, without tearing 1/2 the roots off.
For ditching you would not have to straddle the trench.
Would not be to hard to make out of a heavy wall pipe.
Ken
The bucket works great, I added a length of 6" channel for skinnier holes and its a tree pulling gadget, I love it. The whole thing is 3/8 plate reinforced with 1/4 flat and angle all around. Very strong. and easy to build and I have about 40 feet of welding on it? YIKES
Jim

windsurfsam

The bucket works great, I added a length of 6" channel for skinnier holes and its a tree pulling gadget, I love it. The whole thing is 3/8 plate reinforced with 1/4 flat and angle all around. Very strong. and easy to build and I have about 40 feet of welding on it? YIKES
Jim
Jim, I built a bucket like yours from 3/4" and 1/2" plate. Almost identical designs. I sharpened the leading edge of the bucket and it does a much better job of cutting roots now too. For a tree or stump that I am going to take out, I go around the perimeter of the root ball and cut most of the roots with the leading edge. Then I start digging up the root ball and pop it out of the ground. I have been able to dig up to 24" stumps this way.

OP
OP
Mr Jimi

Mr Jimi

Jim, I built a bucket like yours from 3/4" and 1/2" plate. Almost identical designs. I sharpened the leading edge of the bucket and it does a much better job of cutting roots now too. For a tree or stump that I am going to take out, I go around the perimeter of the root ball and cut most of the roots with the leading edge. Then I start digging up the root ball and pop it out of the ground. I have been able to dig up to 24" stumps this way.
WoW!! I thought mine was heavy, Mine is 3/8 plate with a 2" X 1/4 flat around the sides and back. I don't have any trees larger than 8 inches, Florida sand
Jim

nailsbeats

WoW!! I thought mine was heavy, Mine is 3/8 plate with a 2" X 1/4 flat around the sides and back. I don't have any trees larger than 8 inches, Florida sand
Jim
Lots of good ideas here. I looked around,thought, and looked around some more and this is what I decided to build. This of course; was before I was ever on this site.
This design is much like the Dirt Works Tree Shovel, with added cutting edge all around for better trenching in gravel and moving large rocks. Main plate it 3/8 inch. Have used it to trench drain tile and dig a few trees so far; works well.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/nailsbeats/DSCN0834.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/nailsbeats/DSCN0835.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/nailsbeats/DSCN0836.jpg