Tree and Post Puller

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sandhills-elect

Have any of you guys used this attachment and if so what kind of luck did you have with it? Thanks for the Info Brent!!

OP
OP
S

sandhills-elect

I talked to a guy from Jawz and he said i could pull a 6-7in tree with his. They are rated a 3000lbs and they have out a larger set that go on payloaders that open to 5ft and are rated at 10,000lbs. I like the idea of not leaving the stumps. I plan on pulling cedar trees if i get one. He said to grab it drive forward then back and pull it out. And they are suppost to work that great.
Web site is www.starhilljawz.com if anyone wants to look at them. see ya Brent.

BPS

I talked to a guy from Jawz and he said i could pull a 6-7in tree with his. They are rated a 3000lbs and they have out a larger set that go on payloaders that open to 5ft and are rated at 10,000lbs. I like the idea of not leaving the stumps. I plan on pulling cedar trees if i get one. He said to grab it drive forward then back and pull it out. And they are suppost to work that great.
Web site is www.starhilljawz.com if anyone wants to look at them. see ya Brent.
I think this ridiculous looking attachment would have more uses in the long run. As long as they make one in black, it wouldn't be bad. http://www.trexgonewild.com/

skidsteer.ca

I think this ridiculous looking attachment would have more uses in the long run. As long as they make one in black, it wouldn't be bad. http://www.trexgonewild.com/
I can't say I have tried this many times, but in these parts I'd say a 3 to 4" tree would be the limit you would pluck from the ground with a skidsteer. Any bigger then that and you would need a hoe to rip several of the roots off first.
I had a 20" spruce break off next to the house and wanted the stump gone. I have a Serco 200 log loader, that is rated 20000 lb lift. I got right up tight to the stump to maximize the power in the knuckle boom. Could'nt even wiggle it.
I ended up fishing in the soil for the roots, finding 4 main roots and spitting the stump into 1/4's to pull it out.
I have dug many stumps out with my 709 backhoe, the ones over 4" don't just pull out, Up to 12" is not too bad, but you will be there a few minutes for each
Somewhere here I have a pic of a 28" willow I dug out with my 909 hoe, it took me 2 hours to dig around it. The closest I could rip the roots off was 20 or so inches out from the stump. When I got done the best the hoe could do was wiggle it a few inches in the hole. I wrapped a 1" cable from the skidder around it and winched it out of the ground. The root ball was @ 70" wide and a tall as the Bobcat. Likely weight 5or 6 thousand lbs
The 40000 lb skidder with a 60000 lb winch would not even think about pulling it out before I cut the roots. You could winch it right up on it rear wheels.
Around here stumps don't just pull out in my experience.
Ken

Land-Tech

I can't say I have tried this many times, but in these parts I'd say a 3 to 4" tree would be the limit you would pluck from the ground with a skidsteer. Any bigger then that and you would need a hoe to rip several of the roots off first.
I had a 20" spruce break off next to the house and wanted the stump gone. I have a Serco 200 log loader, that is rated 20000 lb lift. I got right up tight to the stump to maximize the power in the knuckle boom. Could'nt even wiggle it.
I ended up fishing in the soil for the roots, finding 4 main roots and spitting the stump into 1/4's to pull it out.
I have dug many stumps out with my 709 backhoe, the ones over 4" don't just pull out, Up to 12" is not too bad, but you will be there a few minutes for each
Somewhere here I have a pic of a 28" willow I dug out with my 909 hoe, it took me 2 hours to dig around it. The closest I could rip the roots off was 20 or so inches out from the stump. When I got done the best the hoe could do was wiggle it a few inches in the hole. I wrapped a 1" cable from the skidder around it and winched it out of the ground. The root ball was @ 70" wide and a tall as the Bobcat. Likely weight 5or 6 thousand lbs
The 40000 lb skidder with a 60000 lb winch would not even think about pulling it out before I cut the roots. You could winch it right up on it rear wheels.
Around here stumps don't just pull out in my experience.
Ken
We seldom take a tree out whole cause we want to keep the stumps and the brush separate. A set forks works the best for me. the root system up here seldom goes more than 18" but the roots go really wide. Except for our Willows they can get suprisingly big if they are over a wet spot.Root wads on 12" tree can be 6' or 8' wide.
Once the brush is gone I slide the forks together and start ripping them out. On big trees I slide under the roots and lift with the arms along with using the forks as a lever to lift up by tilting the forks forward.Usually I have to work my way around the tree if its a big one, after the stump is out I try to knock as much dirt off as possible. The roots on spruce are extra tough.
I can see where the Jaws might work for picking rock or pulling multiple posts but I would see it left at home more than it would be used.I think I would use the money and buy a third arm or grapple for my forks. Or a 4 in 1 bucket. Scott