Trailer Recommendations?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

conc2steel

I have a Bobcat 853 with an 811 Backhoe attachment and am looking to purchase a trailer to be able to take the Skidsteer, Backhoe, and a bcket or two to work sites. I'm leaning towards a tilt trailer and was wondering if anyone out there has any recomendations of brands, sizes, options, etcetera and a recommendation if anyone has had any good experiences.

Fishfiles

I would suggest a partial tilt trailer , no ramps to deal with , works very well if you are a person that carries attachments , the front section stays flat and it tilts from that point back , so attachments don't go sliding down when you tilt

A+ Skidloader

You can only haul one machine, as once the trailer tilts back in the travel position, you can't get another one on. I'd go with a gooseneck as big as you can afford/your truck can handle. I put three machines on my gooseneck. I had a really nice tilt trailer, loved it, but became worthless as business grew and we sometimes needed to take more than one machine to a site.

farmboy55

You can only haul one machine, as once the trailer tilts back in the travel position, you can't get another one on. I'd go with a gooseneck as big as you can afford/your truck can handle. I put three machines on my gooseneck. I had a really nice tilt trailer, loved it, but became worthless as business grew and we sometimes needed to take more than one machine to a site.
Gooseneck is the way to go. I have a 24' I haul my 853, backhoe and whatever else I need for the job.

Idoitall

I have to 2nd the Gooseneck option. They are much easier to maneuver around and can be really handy in tight places. And they tow much better than a bumper pull since the weight is better distributed.

There is also a hidden plus for them. Unless you are willing to go and help, your friends and neighbors can't borrow the trailer. Most of them are probably inexperienced with trailers, likely don't have a sufficient truck to tow the load, no brake connection, and don't have enough or the right insurance, etc. There is already enough exposure for you while towing for yourself, don't get involved with someone else's problems and lawsuits. There is also the D.O.T. Not sure how they handle this, but you could end up with a ticket as the trailer owner.

Fishfiles

I have to 2nd the Gooseneck option. They are much easier to maneuver around and can be really handy in tight places. And they tow much better than a bumper pull since the weight is better distributed.

There is also a hidden plus for them. Unless you are willing to go and help, your friends and neighbors can't borrow the trailer. Most of them are probably inexperienced with trailers, likely don't have a sufficient truck to tow the load, no brake connection, and don't have enough or the right insurance, etc. There is already enough exposure for you while towing for yourself, don't get involved with someone else's problems and lawsuits. There is also the D.O.T. Not sure how they handle this, but you could end up with a ticket as the trailer owner.
Goosenecks work well , he didn't say he had more than one machine , I don't know about the rest of the country but down here you have to have a CDL to drive a goose neck as it is consider a combination vehicle , which if you don't have a CDL can be a bitch to get and maintain

Earthwerks Unlimited

Goosenecks work well , he didn't say he had more than one machine , I don't know about the rest of the country but down here you have to have a CDL to drive a goose neck as it is consider a combination vehicle , which if you don't have a CDL can be a bitch to get and maintain
To me a gooseneck is a PIA. It restricts the use of the bed, especially iif you have carry tools under cover. They're heavier. They're much harder to manuever or negotiate winding or tight roads--or even pull in/out of a driveway--or a gas station to fuel up. I use a 6-ton, drop-axle, bumper tow trailer. It has a usable 20' deck and fold-up spring loaded ramps. I can haul anything I need on it without stacking things. And it''s made of heavy angle and diamond plate so it's relatively lightweight and low slung so you don't get a bucking motion as with a taller deck-over-wheels trailer (which I was going to buy but glad I didn't). The angle iron frame (about 4"x6") provides a great lip to keep things from sliding off the side. It has locking tool storage in the tongue. Over the winter I'm installing a gas-driven air compressor on the tongue just behind the tools storage. Better Built Trailers is in Alabama (205) 489-5129

reliefdvm

To me a gooseneck is a PIA. It restricts the use of the bed, especially iif you have carry tools under cover. They're heavier. They're much harder to manuever or negotiate winding or tight roads--or even pull in/out of a driveway--or a gas station to fuel up. I use a 6-ton, drop-axle, bumper tow trailer. It has a usable 20' deck and fold-up spring loaded ramps. I can haul anything I need on it without stacking things. And it''s made of heavy angle and diamond plate so it's relatively lightweight and low slung so you don't get a bucking motion as with a taller deck-over-wheels trailer (which I was going to buy but glad I didn't). The angle iron frame (about 4"x6") provides a great lip to keep things from sliding off the side. It has locking tool storage in the tongue. Over the winter I'm installing a gas-driven air compressor on the tongue just behind the tools storage. Better Built Trailers is in Alabama (205) 489-5129
First off - the CDL requirement applies to a gross wt of 26500 lb of truck an trailer combined - so this will apply only to the triple axle or dual tandem trailers - these usually have a GVW of 21000. the single wheel double axle will have a GVW of 14000 - 16000 and no CDL needed. I'm a Veterinarian and during the year I will pull horse, cattle and flatbed hay and equipment trailers. Personally I like the Goosenecks. I find attaching, pulling and especially backing much easier. I find that load placement is much more critical with bumper pull than the gooseneck. A 20' with a 5' dovetail with flipover ramps will do just about anything that you need.

wvtrees

First off - the CDL requirement applies to a gross wt of 26500 lb of truck an trailer combined - so this will apply only to the triple axle or dual tandem trailers - these usually have a GVW of 21000. the single wheel double axle will have a GVW of 14000 - 16000 and no CDL needed. I'm a Veterinarian and during the year I will pull horse, cattle and flatbed hay and equipment trailers. Personally I like the Goosenecks. I find attaching, pulling and especially backing much easier. I find that load placement is much more critical with bumper pull than the gooseneck. A 20' with a 5' dovetail with flipover ramps will do just about anything that you need.
Gooseneck by far. The CDL Requirement is gross combined weight of more than 26000 lbs, air brakes, and now in WV, hauling trailers over 10000 lbs will require the driver to obtain a CDL. This requires a driver physical and other safety equipment in the truck. This has created alot of confusion among the farmers/cattle operations in our state.

Fishfiles

Gooseneck by far. The CDL Requirement is gross combined weight of more than 26000 lbs, air brakes, and now in WV, hauling trailers over 10000 lbs will require the driver to obtain a CDL. This requires a driver physical and other safety equipment in the truck. This has created alot of confusion among the farmers/cattle operations in our state.
Here in Louisiana you have to have a CDL to pull any size or number of axle gooseneck trailers , they consider it a combination vehicle , you also have to have air brake endorsement even if the gooseneck trailer you are using doesn't have air brakes , as crazy as it sounds thats the law , been down this road before , every state has different laws on trailers and CDL's -------and get this one when you have a CDL you are governed by a lower blood alchol level not only while drivng you gooseneck , but it carries over to your private vehicle on your own time , so in other words when you drive on a CDL you are always on duty as far as drinking goes even off duty in your own vehicle

Earthwerks Unlimited

Here in Louisiana you have to have a CDL to pull any size or number of axle gooseneck trailers , they consider it a combination vehicle , you also have to have air brake endorsement even if the gooseneck trailer you are using doesn't have air brakes , as crazy as it sounds thats the law , been down this road before , every state has different laws on trailers and CDL's -------and get this one when you have a CDL you are governed by a lower blood alchol level not only while drivng you gooseneck , but it carries over to your private vehicle on your own time , so in other words when you drive on a CDL you are always on duty as far as drinking goes even off duty in your own vehicle
Fishflies, I hear you! When I was down there cleaning up Katrina, I could not get anyone from Miss. with a tandem axle dump to do work in Chalmette, not even to deliver dirt. I called the LADOT about me moving my equipment from Waveland, MS to Chalmette and got 4 diffeent answers from 4 people. One answer said that I had to prove I bought fuel in LA. On the way back to Michigan I noticed every state has different DOT laws that they enforce---which one is up to them---like TRUCKS MUST USE SCALES, to TRUCKS WITH (SO MANY) AXLES MUST..., VEHICLES WEIGHING MORE THAN MUST... Even one of the officers in the LA weigh station gave his interpretation: "Don't worry about it--my dad never stops at weigh stations even though he's suppose to". In Miss. toward the end of my 18-month "tour" the MSDOT were handing out tickets if you did not buy their "3-day road use plates" if you were over 26,000 GVW.

OP
OP
C

conc2steel

Fishflies, I hear you! When I was down there cleaning up Katrina, I could not get anyone from Miss. with a tandem axle dump to do work in Chalmette, not even to deliver dirt. I called the LADOT about me moving my equipment from Waveland, MS to Chalmette and got 4 diffeent answers from 4 people. One answer said that I had to prove I bought fuel in LA. On the way back to Michigan I noticed every state has different DOT laws that they enforce---which one is up to them---like TRUCKS MUST USE SCALES, to TRUCKS WITH (SO MANY) AXLES MUST..., VEHICLES WEIGHING MORE THAN MUST... Even one of the officers in the LA weigh station gave his interpretation: "Don't worry about it--my dad never stops at weigh stations even though he's suppose to". In Miss. toward the end of my 18-month "tour" the MSDOT were handing out tickets if you did not buy their "3-day road use plates" if you were over 26,000 GVW.
I ended up purchasing a Kaufman 22 foot equipment tilt trailer with steel bed. http://www.kaufmantrailers.com . This trailer was exactly what I needed. I can haul my skidsteer, any attachments needed, and the fixed deck alowed me to bolt on a transfer tank. The price was good, and delivery fee was minimal. Great trailer!

sp6x6

I ended up purchasing a Kaufman 22 foot equipment tilt trailer with steel bed. http://www.kaufmantrailers.com . This trailer was exactly what I needed. I can haul my skidsteer, any attachments needed, and the fixed deck alowed me to bolt on a transfer tank. The price was good, and delivery fee was minimal. Great trailer!
I only have one machine and I know thats going to be all . I love my tilt w/ stationary deck 20' approx. I pack hoe on bucket on flat deck, forks slide in under flat deck, holstered if you will. In the off season I use pickup w/camper and haul Jeep & 4 wheeler or dirt bike , love the set up

perry

I only have one machine and I know thats going to be all . I love my tilt w/ stationary deck 20' approx. I pack hoe on bucket on flat deck, forks slide in under flat deck, holstered if you will. In the off season I use pickup w/camper and haul Jeep & 4 wheeler or dirt bike , love the set up
I use this 18' dove tail 14000 lb. axels, electric brakes, to haul my 853.

service006.jpg picture by perrynboo