trailer brakes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

edwardo

Hey guys,i have not used my trailer in a long time.I hooked it up today and when i went to move ahead the brakes were locked on.I spent a bit of time trying to figure it out but it was raining hard so i will try again tomorrow. First off,all the lights work properly only the brakes are goofed.With the key on but engine off everything seems fine,as soon as i start the truck the brake controller(journey hd)applies the brakes....I can turn the brake adjustment down all the way and move the trailer but I can't tow my bobcat with out brakes.The controller also flashes a SC code which must stand for short circuit. I quickly went over the wiring on the truck and trailer and didn't see anything that looked like a problem. Any ideas???could it be the controller itself?everything worked fine when it was parked. Thanks,Edwardo

skidsteer.ca

I'm thinking controler too, maybe contact Journey and see if a wiring problem can cause this or if they have any tips. The only thing that comes to mind is that you may have the "level" setting way off? Could you borrow one from friend? I had one go south (forget brand) every time I went over quick hill accent then decent it would slam on the trailer brakes.
Ken

OP
OP
E

edwardo

I'm thinking controler too, maybe contact Journey and see if a wiring problem can cause this or if they have any tips. The only thing that comes to mind is that you may have the "level" setting way off? Could you borrow one from friend? I had one go south (forget brand) every time I went over quick hill accent then decent it would slam on the trailer brakes.
Ken
OK.i have found that its a problem with the truck wiring...for some reason the wire coming off the brake light switch has 8 volts when it should have none,this is causing the brake controller to apply the brakes.Also my brake lights won't come on,must be a short somewhere.

jerry

OK.i have found that its a problem with the truck wiring...for some reason the wire coming off the brake light switch has 8 volts when it should have none,this is causing the brake controller to apply the brakes.Also my brake lights won't come on,must be a short somewhere.
Do you have a always hot wire back to your female plugin? I do since we tow travel trailer there is a hot wire in the plug and I have had trouble in the past where the wires enter the plugin they will corrode due to electrolysis, it can cause strange problems. When it is not being used the water, salt and electrical current do this. It may be where you are getting feedback into your brake light wire. Take a good look the wires back just before the female socket.

OP
OP
E

edwardo

Do you have a always hot wire back to your female plugin? I do since we tow travel trailer there is a hot wire in the plug and I have had trouble in the past where the wires enter the plugin they will corrode due to electrolysis, it can cause strange problems. When it is not being used the water, salt and electrical current do this. It may be where you are getting feedback into your brake light wire. Take a good look the wires back just before the female socket.
Thanks,the problem is fixed.I found a wire under the dash that was damaged when a previous owned installed an alarm system...