Tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

I just bought a set of tracks and need some info. When installing a set of steel tracks (Loegering Trailblazers brand) on my 773 Bobcat (10x16.50 tires) do I need to install a set of wheel spacers? I noticed in the owners manual it gives instructions on how to install the spacers but doesn't comment if they are necessary. Could there be a problem with them rubbing the body of the machine. I don't want that because I just painted it last summer. Thanks!

OldMachinist

I will do that Monday, but I thought someone on here might have some tracks on a loader like mine.
I have tracks on my 453 but it doen't need spacers. The general rule for steel tracks is you need 3" of clearance between the tires and the frame.

Fishfiles

I have tracks on my 453 but it doen't need spacers. The general rule for steel tracks is you need 3" of clearance between the tires and the frame.
I'd say no spacers on a 773 with 10's from memory , but lately I think I have been hit with Als-hammers

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I'd say no spacers on a 773 with 10's from memory , but lately I think I have been hit with Als-hammers
I called Loegering Co. today and the man said I didn't need the spacers for my 773G loader. So, I will give it a try. Thanks!

Fishfiles

I called Loegering Co. today and the man said I didn't need the spacers for my 773G loader. So, I will give it a try. Thanks!
I have always like the Loegerings and considered them the priemium track , when worn out I have welded bars to them and repinned , bushened and new dog bones many of times , when tracked loaders came out the number of steel tracks went way , way down , but now that people are learning how expensive it is to maintain a T series machine there are a bunch of people going back to wheeled machines with tracks --------I have often thought of some type of sprocket to replace the tires on a wheeled loader and a set of rubber tracks like on a T series over that , the slack adjuster would be the key

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I have always like the Loegerings and considered them the priemium track , when worn out I have welded bars to them and repinned , bushened and new dog bones many of times , when tracked loaders came out the number of steel tracks went way , way down , but now that people are learning how expensive it is to maintain a T series machine there are a bunch of people going back to wheeled machines with tracks --------I have often thought of some type of sprocket to replace the tires on a wheeled loader and a set of rubber tracks like on a T series over that , the slack adjuster would be the key
Good idea. You probably would have to have some type of built-in adjustment on the tracks or maybe an adjustable idler roller.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Good idea. You probably would have to have some type of built-in adjustment on the tracks or maybe an adjustable idler roller.
After talking to my bobcat dealer I decided to put on a set of spacers. I think the tracks would have worked without them but with the spacers, it made it a lot easier putting them on.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

After talking to my bobcat dealer I decided to put on a set of spacers. I think the tracks would have worked without them but with the spacers, it made it a lot easier putting them on.
The only thing is, after putting them on one side fits tighter than the other. The only thing I found was one of the tires is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch shorter than the other. Could this be enough to cause more slack in the tracks? The tight side has 1" drop and the other side has about 3". Any ideas?

OldMachinist

The only thing is, after putting them on one side fits tighter than the other. The only thing I found was one of the tires is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch shorter than the other. Could this be enough to cause more slack in the tracks? The tight side has 1" drop and the other side has about 3". Any ideas?
Yes different wear on the tires and tracks will cause them to fit different. On mine they came with several sets of bars to adjust the slack. You just drive out the pins and put in a longer or shorter set in the last link or take a whole link out. When I first bought them I put them on used tires and had to remove a whole pad. I've since bought new tires and put the pad back in and adjusted the length.

OldMachinist

Yes different wear on the tires and tracks will cause them to fit different. On mine they came with several sets of bars to adjust the slack. You just drive out the pins and put in a longer or shorter set in the last link or take a whole link out. When I first bought them I put them on used tires and had to remove a whole pad. I've since bought new tires and put the pad back in and adjusted the length.
I see that the Trailblazers use a different procedure to adjust the length in the manual. Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.loegering.com/data/upfiles/Owners Manual, Track, F Series, (Mar 2009) (Lit-0001).pdf

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I see that the Trailblazers use a different procedure to adjust the length in the manual. Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.loegering.com/data/upfiles/Owners%20Manual,%20Track,%20F%20Series,%20(Mar%202009)%20(Lit-0001).pdf
Thanks a lot! I'll check it out. I guess it will be hard to get the exact same amount of slack on both sides. I think they call for 2 to 3 inches in the tracks. The front tires are worn and will need replacing soon but the back tires are in good shape. Do you run your tracks year round? And running with the tracks on make for a bumpier ride?

OldMachinist

Thanks a lot! I'll check it out. I guess it will be hard to get the exact same amount of slack on both sides. I think they call for 2 to 3 inches in the tracks. The front tires are worn and will need replacing soon but the back tires are in good shape. Do you run your tracks year round? And running with the tracks on make for a bumpier ride?
I run my tracks all winter and spring. I can normally get away with just tires once things dry out. Yes tracks make for a little rougher ride on hard surfaces. You should try to run tires of the same size and wear on each side. If there's a big difference on the same side one tire will be skidding and putting wear on the drive chain.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I run my tracks all winter and spring. I can normally get away with just tires once things dry out. Yes tracks make for a little rougher ride on hard surfaces. You should try to run tires of the same size and wear on each side. If there's a big difference on the same side one tire will be skidding and putting wear on the drive chain.
I extended a link and the tracks match up better now. I will try running them for a while. I will be working on a shady hillside so it won't dry out for a while. I appreciate all your help. Also, I might add that the track tool I got from Loegering works very well.

OldMachinist

I extended a link and the tracks match up better now. I will try running them for a while. I will be working on a shady hillside so it won't dry out for a while. I appreciate all your help. Also, I might add that the track tool I got from Loegering works very well.
I agree the loegering installation tool work like a champ.