tracks versus tires

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gizzard

I have never owned a Skid Steer and am shopping for a unit with less than 1,000 hours. What is your opinion of buying with tracks instead of rubber tires and is it worth the price difference? What is the typical price difference?

farmboy55

without knowing what you are going to use it for and the kind of cash flow you have. It would be hard to sugest what you buy. I'm sure you will find the difference when you go shopping, it's a pretty big spread between the two. I like the tires with a set of over tire tracks. It's still a lot cheaper than a track machine. Spend the extra cash for a wheel machine with AC & Heated Cab. dennis

skidsteer.ca

without knowing what you are going to use it for and the kind of cash flow you have. It would be hard to sugest what you buy. I'm sure you will find the difference when you go shopping, it's a pretty big spread between the two. I like the tires with a set of over tire tracks. It's still a lot cheaper than a track machine. Spend the extra cash for a wheel machine with AC & Heated Cab. dennis
Most are figuring between 5 and $10 per hour extra cost of operating for track, idler and sprocket wear. plus initial investment, likely 10k more
Many big operators keep their wheel loader to use on asphalt and concrete surfaces, as turning on these is the hardest on the undercarriage of a track machine.
They excell where soft and rough ground conditions make operating a wheel loader tough. They don't drop into every hole as the track just test to rest on the high spots.
Tearing a track is about 5 times as expensive as ruining a tire, most won't warrantee their tracks for punctures lke small stumps of re bar.
But if the conditions require that much floatation to operate, or if overall cost is not so much of a concern, they seem to be the (trendy?) way to go.
Several of the track loaders have seen updates in the undercarriage dept, so buying a used loader may get a design that needed some improvement.
Ken

OP
OP
G

gizzard

Thanks for the info so far guys. I own a business in San Antonio and would mainly use the machine to: clear some land (trees and brush), load dump trucks with wood chips, spread road base, compact road base, etc.... Most of the time this work surface will be black dirt or base material. I am being told by a contractor that the traction (pushing power) is vastly better with tracks. In addition, my business is a pallet company and loose nails around the shop will be a concern for tires. Based on your comments so far, it looks as if the newer, the better on a track machine. Cost is not really a factor, I just want the most "bang" for my buck.

dkveuro

Thanks for the info so far guys. I own a business in San Antonio and would mainly use the machine to: clear some land (trees and brush), load dump trucks with wood chips, spread road base, compact road base, etc.... Most of the time this work surface will be black dirt or base material. I am being told by a contractor that the traction (pushing power) is vastly better with tracks. In addition, my business is a pallet company and loose nails around the shop will be a concern for tires. Based on your comments so far, it looks as if the newer, the better on a track machine. Cost is not really a factor, I just want the most "bang" for my buck.
http://www.rubbertracksusa.com/bobcat.html

skidsteer.ca

Found this interesting too..... http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1272
I would not be to quick to rule out running steel tracks overtop of "foam filled" tires whick flat proofs them. Pushing power is also vastly improved. and the tracks can be removed for work around your shop.
Keep reading there is alot of talk on this topic
Ken

farmboy55

I would not be to quick to rule out running steel tracks overtop of "foam filled" tires whick flat proofs them. Pushing power is also vastly improved. and the tracks can be removed for work around your shop.
Keep reading there is alot of talk on this topic
Ken
You can purchase the solid tire & wheels for around 2 grand and run tracks on them, that is going to be my next purchase.

nailsbeats

My opinion pretty much mirrors Farmboy's. I feel that flatproof tires with a set of over the tire tracks is a flawless combination. Extremely durable with a track like Loeggering or Grouser and I imagine McClaren Protracs also, versatile, and a pretty cost effective option. Also the tire machine will cost less initially and hold it's resale value better than a dedicated track machine. This combination gives you plenty of pushing power and floatation.

Ironwood

My opinion pretty much mirrors Farmboy's. I feel that flatproof tires with a set of over the tire tracks is a flawless combination. Extremely durable with a track like Loeggering or Grouser and I imagine McClaren Protracs also, versatile, and a pretty cost effective option. Also the tire machine will cost less initially and hold it's resale value better than a dedicated track machine. This combination gives you plenty of pushing power and floatation.
Old thread I know, but I think the rubber tire (say a Gallaxy Hulk L5) filled with the more cost effective reclaimed Tyr-Fill with the opton of steel over the tire tracks is also the way to go.Veratility, cost sffective, and durable. I have the machine, the tracks and next is the $1700 for the L-5's and the foam and my old rims. Ironwood