Track Tension

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

melli

The manual says to pump the grease ram until one gets about 2" of sag as measured from the steel track frame down to the track. Before I got Bobby I rented a 331 and popped the tracks off because they were too loose (thankfully, on level ground, with easy room to fix). So, being OCD, I have the tracks on snug (as per manual)...especially since there are situations when losing a track would be "oh so bad". Well, I am beginning to think having the rubber tracks on tight is not necessarily a good thing? My idlers are getting groovy and the sprockets seem to be wearing down. Unfortunately, I play in gravelly sandy soil with lots of rock...the only saving grace is that I avoid shot rock. Curious what the pros do in terms of tension on the tracks? I should note that occasionally I get a small rock caught in the tracks...I back up and it usually spits out, but I can hear the spring on the idler pop as it does so...

7LBSSMALLIE

always go with the spec, the dudes who figure this stuff out are a lot smarter than us, now they probally dont know how to gap a spark plug, but. you should also not there disclaminer in ops man about loose and sandy soil. gobbly gook. heavy equip is enviroment. florida is different than ky. talk to youre buddys, see what they do.

OP
OP
M

melli

always go with the spec, the dudes who figure this stuff out are a lot smarter than us, now they probally dont know how to gap a spark plug, but. you should also not there disclaminer in ops man about loose and sandy soil. gobbly gook. heavy equip is enviroment. florida is different than ky. talk to youre buddys, see what they do.
Good idea...guy who runs a rental shop rents a 331...should see what he says.